High COMLEX + Low USMLE + Merger = ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medevac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been very interested in FM since Day 1, and most of my extracurriculars and volunteer activities are oriented towards that specialty. I also had my heart set matching into a residency in California, as that is where my family is from.

Board scores are in, and the results are:
COMLEX Level 1 = 579, USMLE Step 1....209....

I'm not sure what happened with Step 1, as that score is significantly lower than my NBME's, but it is what it is, and I've come to terms with it.

So, here are a few questions that have popped into my head:

1) How out-of-reach is a CA FM residency program given that Step 1 score?

2) What can I do to "maximize" the use out of my COMLEX score, especially with the merger? Are Osteopathic-recognized programs (aka previous AOA programs) more likely to weigh the COMLEX over the USMLE, or will that USMLE score be weighed equally with COMLEX in all programs?

I'm in no way after big-name programs, prestige, etc. I just want a good quality FM education, preferably in California.

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Aim for programs that are DO-friendly, especially those that have taken grads from your school previous. They're a known product. med schools are feeders to residencies, int he same way that UG schools are feeders to med schools.

Read this too:
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf

I'll defer to some of our wise resident colleagues for their input on CA programs.

Hi everyone,

I've been very interested in FM since Day 1, and most of my extracurriculars and volunteer activities are oriented towards that specialty. I also had my heart set matching into a residency in California, as that is where my family is from.

I'm not sure what happened with Step 1, as that score is significantly lower than my NBME's, but it is what it is, and I've come to terms with it.

2) What can I do to "maximize" the use out of my COMLEX score, especially with the merger? Are Osteopathic-recognized programs (aka previous AOA programs) more likely to weigh the COMLEX over the USMLE, or will that USMLE score be weighed equally with COMLEX in all programs?

I'm in no way after big-name programs, prestige, etc. I just want a good quality FM education, preferably in California.

Thank you for your time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just apply to ~150 FM programs... That USMLE score will hurt your chances at many programs.
Your constant trolling is going to get you banned dude.
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your time.
Cali will be tough. Apply broadly, but keep in mind that Cali has an extremely tight residency market- I've met many a Cali-residency hopeful that ended up a resident in the NE because it's so tough to match out there. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Reactions: 3 users
Just apply to ~150 FM programs... That USMLE score will hurt your chances at many programs.

Seriously calm down.

Cali will be tough. Apply broadly, but keep in mind that Cali has an extremely tight residency market- I've met many a Cali-residency hopeful that ended up a resident in the NE because it's so tough to match out there. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Agreed. California's tough to break into for even top students sometimes. I think you have a shot if you apply broadly (not 150 programs broadly) but keep an open mind and apply to a few other states as well. Arizona is much more DO-friendly and not THAT far from SoCal.

Reactions: 1 users
Seriously calm down.

Agreed. California's tough to break into for even top students sometimes. I think you have a shot if you apply broadly (not 150 programs broadly) but keep an open mind and apply to a few other states as well. Arizona is much more DO-friendly and not THAT far from SoCal.
Cali+20 outside of Cali would be my recommendation.

@Mad Jack @ortnakas @Goro Thank you so much for your insight and recommendations. I truly appreciate it.

Goro, those statistics are great to see. Thank you!

Isn't 570 like 65th percentile?

If you are okay with a community program, I know a guy that had only a COMLEX 1 in 400s, repeated a year and failed COMLEX level 2 that got into a FM program on scramble (he initially applied only psych). In fact, the program called him to offer him a spot.

If you are okay with a community program, I know a guy that had only a COMLEX 1 in 400s, repeated a year and failed COMLEX level 2 that got into a FM program on scramble (he initially applied only psych). In fact, the program called him to offer him a spot.
Was that an AOA program?

Good news! with the merger you'll be able to use your COMLEX for a greater number of programs.

I'm a current Touro Nevada student - have you thought about Las Vegas at all? Super close to California yet significantly cheaper, and the programs here are pretty DO-friendly overall. The vast majority of my classmates are from California and a lot of California residents end up staying here for residency. Check out Valley's family medicine program in particular. With your scores, you'd practically be a shoo-in there.

Isn't 570 like 65th percentile?

Something like that. I'm quite happy with my COMLEX score, I'm just concerned about the Step score completely overshadowing it.

It's match mania bro! Every time one tries to be reasonable about the match, you find someone that has better stats than you, and is just more afraid than you about not matching...

Hey W19. I'm sorry if you misunderstood my post, or if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad about their score or whether or not they will match. My concern wasn't about whether or not I would match FM in general, my concern was about whether or not I could match in California.

I'm a current Touro Nevada student - have you thought about Las Vegas at all? Super close to California yet significantly cheaper, and the programs here are pretty DO-friendly overall. The vast majority of my classmates are from California and a lot of California residents end up staying here for residency. Check out Valley's family medicine program in particular. With your scores, you'd practically be a shoo-in there.

Awesome, thanks lorddisick. My significant other has family ties to Nevada, so I will look into programs there, as well. Arizona/Nevada are definitely #2 and #3 on my list behind CA.

OP, you'll be fine. I agree that you shouldn't limit yourself entirely to CA. You still may be OK in terms of matching there, but its hard to tell how things go and its better to apply too broadly than not broadly enough. I think if you apply to virtually all the programs in CA (~50 I believe) and then 20 or so more, you should be good. You're looking for at least 12-15 interviews (that's the way CA FM is right now for not so competitive people).

There are a number of programs that are both DO friendly, OK, and not super competitive. PIH Whittier, Northridge, Marian, Eisenhower, Kaweah delta, Fresno, some of the mid-CA programs, etc. There are a decent amount. If you have a connection to CA and show a clear interest in FM with no real redflags except for a lot Step 1, you should be fine. I would also apply to some programs in Oregan and Washington, like Corvallis and Kadlec, and others if you want to be on the west coast. Nevada and Arizona is also DO friendly and they have some decent programs as well.

I wouldn't strictly apply CA AOA, except to PIH Downey, because (1) I've heard bad things about how you're treated at ARMC, and (2) Chino, LB, Anaheim, and some of the other DO FM programs tend to not be all that competitive, and I'm pretty sure Chino has almost always had spots available in the scramble.

Now, if you didn't restrict yourself to CA or the west coast, there are actually a ton of great AOA and even some ACGME programs in less competitive regions that would be happy to take a DO with an upper 500s COMLEX.

Stop. Its still FM.

Last edited:
Stop. Its still FM.

Well, every time one is trying to be rational when it comes to the match, you find someone with better scores/grades than you that is irrational. For instance, I was going to apply to ~60 after my advisor told me ~50 should be more than enough with my stats (~220 step1 score, 'B' average in med school with no red flags). Last week, I was talking one of my classmates and she told me she is applying to 100 programs and I know her step1 and grades are better than mine (step1 220+)... What am I supposed to do? If everyone is being cautious, why should I be the conservative one?

Well, every time one is trying to be rational when it comes to the match, you find someone with better scores/grades than you that is irrational. For instance, I was going to apply to ~60 after my advisor told me ~50 should be more than enough with my stats (~220 step1 score, 'B' average in med school with no red flags). Last week, I was talking one of my classmates and she told me she is applying to 100 programs and I know her step1 and grades are better than mine (step1 220+)... What am I supposed to do? If everyone is being cautious, why should I be the conservative one?

Ignore her. Listen to people who've actually been through the match. You'll be fine with 60-70 to IM (which is what I think you've said you've wanted, unless now its psych, or FM again), probably 50 if you're applying FM in a particularly competitive area.

Ignore her. Listen to people who've actually been through the match. You'll be fine with 60-70 to IM (which is what I think you've said you've wanted, unless now its psych, or FM again), probably 50 if you're applying FM in a particularly competitive area.
Settled with IM since I like inpatient medicine and I think the potential to make 280k+/year in IM is not impossible as I thought... I know I am not supposed to base my decision on income potential, but as a non trad student who will be deep in debt, I think I should also factor that into my decision... I agree that 60-70 IM programs should be enough.

Last edited: