High EFC and medical school aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goriku671

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was recently admitted to med school c/o 2024. I filed for FAFSA the other day and it says my EFC is ~29500. I have been fortunate to make a decent salary over the past 3 years, but I'm worried how this would affect my financial aid package. I certainly will not be able to pay ~30K out of pocket as I've been paying for significant undergrad debt while working. I also grew up with significant financial obstacles and parents do not make enough to support me along the way. Does anyone have any insight on this and what people in my position had to do to pay for school?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe “EFC” is not applicable in the case of graduate school loans. You are considered an independent student and GradPLUS should allow you to borrow up to the full COA, without respect for your parental or personal income.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi All,

I was recently admitted to med school c/o 2024. I filed for FAFSA the other day and it says my EFC is ~29500. I have been fortunate to make a decent salary over the past 3 years, but I'm worried how this would affect my financial aid package. I certainly will not be able to pay ~30K out of pocket as I've been paying for significant undergrad debt while working. I also grew up with significant financial obstacles and parents do not make enough to support me along the way. Does anyone have any insight on this and what people in my position had to do to pay for school?

Grad PLUS loans

Reactions: 1 user