High GPA, low DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredds08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has gotten in with a high GPA, but a low DAT. I have a 3.89 overall and 3.86 science GPAs, but my DAT scores were average (19) with a pathetic PAT (15). I work for an orthodontist, got my application in early (June 17th), have lots of shadowing hours, extracurriculars, and leadership activities, but I am worried about those DAT scores. Is anyone in the same situation, or has anyone had a similar experience and made it into DSchool?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, some schools do not put much weight into the PAT section while others do so I guess it all depends on the school for your situation. You can always call the schools directly to find out if they have a minimum cut off score for a certain section or to find out if the PAT is a major factor in considering applicants. Your GPA and AA are great though so I would think that would make up for the low score in one section. Just in case though I would consider applying to more schools - you list only 3 that you are applying too which is a bit risky. I think you should add at least 5 more (and soon) to improve your chances.

I'm in the same situation--my gpa is 3.83 and my science gpa is a 3.9, my overall DAT score was 19, and my PAT score was 16. I talked to a friend who's on the admissions board at OSU (my top school) and she said that the PAT score counts for only 10% while your gpa and overall DAT score together count for 60%. Find out how much weight those schools place on PAT scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a bunch... I feel a bit better now. Unfortunately, finances are going to prevent me from applying to more schools, but UMKC said they place very little weight on the PAT. They are my top choice, so I think I will just wait for the interview and point out that I am taking classes this year that will help develop hand coordination and thinking abstractly. Good luck everyone!

Thanks a bunch... I feel a bit better now. Unfortunately, finances are going to prevent me from applying to more schools, but UMKC said they place very little weight on the PAT. They are my top choice, so I think I will just wait for the interview and point out that I am taking classes this year that will help develop hand coordination and thinking abstractly. Good luck everyone!
Hi, I have a friend who had a 15 on PAT and 16 On QR with GPA similar to yours she got into alot of schools but she didn't get into UIC. So I think you are fine. Good luck

Honestly, that may undermine the validity of your GPA, or at least I think so. If you worked hard to get that high of a GPA, why did you score poorly (on the pat rather) and not devote enough time into preparing for the DAT?

Thats just what i think, who knows.

Honestly, that may undermine the validity of your GPA, or at least I think so. If you worked hard to get that high of a GPA, why did you score poorly (on the pat rather) and not devote enough time into preparing for the DAT?

Thats just what i think, who knows.

That's what I was afraid of. I made a bad decision and took it directly after I got back from a year abroad and the same summer that I was getting married. I think the stress of the wedding and the lack of stimulating material in my year abroad made my mind mushy even though I studied. Oh, well... not much I can do about it now.

DATS the greatest equalizer of bad gpa.

I have a similar GPA, cum 3.7 sci 3.68 w/ 19/19/18 on the DAT. I have 3 interviews so far. I think your best chance will be at your state school. You probably know this already though. Good luck. If you can scrape together a couple hundred, apply to more schools. It will be cheaper to do this than re-apply next year.

I do have one interview so far at my state school. And I have heard good things so far from Iowa, so my hopes are up!

Sorry, reread my post, didn't mean to sound hard but they prob will look at your GPA and your good, in the end GPA>DAT

i know someone with a decent GPA - 3.7ish for both sGPA and cGPA but her DAT was something like 17/18/17, she got rejected from our state school (UNC) but did end up getting into VCU off the waitlist so it is possible....then again she had a lot of connections so that prob helped.