High GPA, Low GRE Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTApplicant4

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am currently in the process of applying and was wondering if anyone had any insight on how many schools I should apply to. I currently have a 3.84 cumulative GPA, and a prerequisite GPA in the same area as well, depending on the school. The issue is that I took the GRE back in January and received a 145 Verbal, 151 Quantitative, and 4.5 Analytical Writing. I didn't review any vocabulary which was the issue in my opinion. All of the schools I have considered do not have any minimums. I am planning to retake it in about two weeks, after having reviewed for the last few weeks and really hitting the verbal section hard. If I were to happen to not do much better, should I just cast a really wide net, or is my GPA enough to somewhat balance it out? The 151 and 4.5 I believe are fine, but that verbal score just has me unsure at the moment. I have my list down to 17 programs (5 Non-GRE) at the moment. On top of this, I have 235 observation hours across 3 settings, and 200 volunteer hours at an animal shelter, as well as a lot of club involvement and a student manager job at my school. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
I am currently in the process of applying and was wondering if anyone had any insight on how many schools I should apply to. I currently have a 3.84 cumulative GPA, and a prerequisite GPA in the same area as well, depending on the school. The issue is that I took the GRE back in January and received a 145 Verbal, 151 Quantitative, and 4.5 Analytical Writing. I didn't review any vocabulary which was the issue in my opinion. All of the schools I have considered do not have any minimums. I am planning to retake it in about two weeks, after having reviewed for the last few weeks and really hitting the verbal section hard. If I were to happen to not do much better, should I just cast a really wide net, or is my GPA enough to somewhat balance it out? The 151 and 4.5 I believe are fine, but that verbal score just has me unsure at the moment. I have my list down to 17 programs (5 Non-GRE) at the moment. On top of this, I have 235 observation hours across 3 settings, and 200 volunteer hours at an animal shelter, as well as a lot of club involvement and a student manager job at my school. Any help is greatly appreciated!
What do you mean in the same area for the pre requisite gpa? Also, if I were you I would take the G.R.E as soon as possible, so you aren't behind with applications and if u have to take it another time. Ideally you should try to get the verbal to at LEAST a 153. In addition to that I'd also try to get the quantitative section up to 155.

In the same area as in my prerequisite GPA is around a 3.84 as well, depending on the school. I am all done with applications aside from just some supplemental essays. I am taking the GRE in like 2 weeks. I just took PowerPrep 1 Saturday and received a 150V, 153Q. I have 17 programs highlighted but wasn't sure how many/if any to cut out of my list. I have everything filled out just in case and can eliminate from there if need be.

Hey everyone,

I had 3000 PT aide hours and 2000-3000 medical patient contact hours (EMT, Pharm Tech, ER scribe) my GRE was 158Q 154V and 4.5 If I remember correctly and my gpa was low so this off set my low gpa. I think you should have at least 300 combined to be competitive against other students even if your schools don't have a required score. I applied to 10 schools and was accepted to 2. PT schools view the verbal score as higher importance so I would really try to bring that up. I think 17 schools is overkill unless you have the money for applying to all those schools then go for it.