WAMC for 2023-2024 Cycle? High GPA, Mediocre DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilacsandroses

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your DAT is not mediocre because most of your scores are 20+. I think your list is good regionally speaking, but are you a fit with SIU since they have a need to help with dentists in Southern Illinois?

Date of submission: Applying 2023-2024
Overall GPA: 3.93
Science GPA: 3.91
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.91
DAT score: 22AA/21TS/19PAT; 21 BIO, 22 GC, 20 OC, 21 RC, 24 QR
State of Residence: IL

Undergrad Attended: University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC)
Major: Psychology
Minor: None
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 158 Hours (150 GD; 8 Ortho)
Volunteering Experience: 120 Hours (105 as Volunteer DA; 15 with hospitalized children)
Employment: 180 Hours (Dental Assistant)
Research: Psychology Research (10 hours/week for 2 years)
Other Extracurriculars: Leadership role in volunteer-based student org (5 hours/week from freshman year to present)
Relevant Honors or Awards: 4-year Academic Scholarship; Dean’s List for all semesters
LOR type and strength: Gen Bio Prof (weak), Anatomy & Physiology Lab Prof (good), General Dentist (very strong), Pediatric Dentist working at UIC COD (strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: N/A
School list: How many schools should I apply to? Should I replace/add any?
UIC
SIU
Midwestern (IL)
University of Louisville
LECOM
University of Iowa
Indiana University
Case Western
UMich
UMD
Marquette
the fact that you think your DAT is "mediocre" tells me you might not have a good grasp on what stats are good and what aren't
or are just #humblebrag
have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at UIC d school?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the clarification regarding the DAT. Do you think my PAT score warrants a retake?

Are you referring to whether or not I will stay in Southern Illinois after I graduate? If I were to attend SIU, I most-likely would. I prefer smaller towns.
1) No, depending on the schools and how much they really value it. Do you not have any other activities with fine motor skills?
2) Read up on the mission and messaging of the school. "The small student body and intimate environment promote excellent student-to-faculty interaction. Graduates are prepared to be among the best general practitioners of dentistry in the country." So is this your goal?

I have hobbies that I suppose could relate. I paint and sketch. I also dabble in playing ukelele, but I would not call myself an expert by any means.

Yes, that sounds great to me honestly. Assuming that the environment is friendly of course. Do you think there is any negative outcome associated with attending a smaller school like this?
I would contact the schools and reach out to talk with students about the positives and negatives.