High pass medicine effect on competitive IM programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted960496

Currently attend T20. H in all rotations, but HP in medicine. Step1 250-255. Research with 3-4 first author publications, 3-4 later authors, 5-6 abstracts. Assuming I can H sub-I/electives, how much of an issue will the HP in medicine be to match at competitive programs (Top 15 or so not just Big 4)?

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
Similar shoes as you with worse stats. I got plenty of interview's in the t20 for IM, no big 4 (but 1 in the big 5). Who knows how it would've panned out if I got an H in medicine, my guess is honestly probably the same. Maybe 1 or 2 more interviews. Honestly, my sub-I, which I honored, was taken late enough in the year that it didn't even end up on my transcript and I'm still doing pretty well.

Honestly, the biggest minus on your app is probably your neuroticism, judging from this post.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Currently attend T20. H in all rotations, but HP in medicine. Step1 250-255. Research with 3-4 first author publications, 3-4 later authors, 5-6 abstracts. Assuming I can H sub-I/electives, how much of an issue will the HP in medicine be to match at competitive programs (Top 15 or so not just Big 4)?
Man, you could take a giant💩on your eras, and still match into one of your top choices.

Reactions: 1 user
Man, you could take a giant💩on your eras, and still match into one of your top choices.
Not sure that is true. The OP asks a legitimate question in that he had a HP in medicine and he believes that it may be of concern...maybe, maybe not. To the OP, what caused the HP vs H? How were the comments?

People who are minimizing his/her concern are incorrect. Despite having an excellent app otherwise, some programs will filter him/her out for an HP and others may move them down the rank list, especially T5 programs. But OP, I think you will be okay. You will still match at an excellent program, even if its not MGH. That said, an H in a sub-I should cancel it out. I would try to schedule it first rotation M4

People who are minimizing his/her concern are incorrect. Despite having an excellent app otherwise, some programs will filter him/her out for an HP and others may move them down the rank list, especially T5 programs. But OP, I think you will be okay. You will still match at an excellent program, even if its not MGH. That said, an H in a sub-I should cancel it out. I would try to schedule it first rotation M4
You think T5 will nitpick over HP from someone coming from a top school with everything else an H??

You think T5 will nitpick over HP from someone coming from a top school with everything else an H??
I think they could. Some programs use filters for H and won't include you in the initial batch of invites. They might send you one later in the season after a more holistic review, but its a thing. If OP kills his sub-I though, he'll be golden

In my experience, I haven’t actually seen or heard of top places focusing that much on clinical grades (to the level of deciphering between H and HP that is) unless there is a red flag.

Whether you get the big 4 interviews is part random, part where you went to med school (sad but true, especially for a couple of them), part not having red flags (HP is not a red flags), part having the usual good letters and AOA if possible, and a big part having a narrative and the things to back that up.

That last part gets overlooked - if you want to go to the “top” places (big 4 for sure but also many places on the T20) they tend to gravitate towards the person who they think is going to become a well-known academic researcher and has published 10 papers, or the person who they think will become a well-known advocate who has written thought pieces in the paper, or the person who they think will go on to work in health policy and already worked on the hill, etc. The top places will absolutely select that person with the narrative (and track record to back it up) over the person with all Hs as long as said person doesn’t have red flags. In fact, I’d argue that the “better” (read: thought of as more prestigious) the program the less they focus on some of those typical nuances (the exact step score, the H vs HP, the exact class rank) assuming an otherwise relatively strong app.

Reactions: 1 users
In my experience, I haven’t actually seen or heard of top places focusing that much on clinical grades (to the level of deciphering between H and HP that is) unless there is a red flag.

Whether you get the big 4 interviews is part random, part where you went to med school (sad but true, especially for a couple of them), part not having red flags (HP is not a red flags), part having the usual good letters and AOA if possible, and a big part having a narrative and the things to back that up.

That last part gets overlooked - if you want to go to the “top” places (big 4 for sure but also many places on the T20) they tend to gravitate towards the person who they think is going to become a well-known academic researcher and has published 10 papers, or the person who they think will become a well-known advocate who has written thought pieces in the paper, or the person who they think will go on to work in health policy and already worked on the hill, etc. The top places will absolutely select that person with the narrative (and track record to back it up) over the person with all Hs as long as said person doesn’t have red flags. In fact, I’d argue that the “better” (read: thought of as more prestigious) the program the less they focus on some of those typical nuances (the exact step score, the H vs HP, the exact class rank) assuming an otherwise relatively strong app.
This is solid advice and also true across many other specialities.