High Paying PCCM Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CPRBandit

Takin' names and... forgetting them.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, it seems that academic PCCM program starting pay varies WIDELY from ~$120K/year to >$300.

Can anyone name some places they know that pay well vs those that do not?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can tell you las vegas starting salary is 320-400 base with different incentives (i.e. sign on bonus, retention bonus, productivity bonus, cme, student loan reimbursement etc).

So, it seems that academic PCCM program starting pay varies WIDELY from ~$120K/year to >$300.

Thanks!

Academic centers with 'elite' reputation (think US News top 10-15) generally pay poorly (there may be some exceptions such as Mayo), usually in the range of $150-$240 although some may let you make more money covering nights. A major reason for this is that a lot of outpatient revenue is taken by a Dean's tax or fee which can take 10-15% of your revenue, basically negating your profit from clinic. If you are on a research track you will usually be paid less than on a clinical track.

2nd and 3rd tier academic centers which don't utilize this model and have more trouble recruiting pay better (think Kansas, Nebraska, Harvard (joke), Arkansas, etc)

This information is derived from my limited experience interviewing for academic jobs and experiences of co-fellows so I'm sure exceptions exist.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Academic centers with 'elite' reputation (think US News top 10-15) generally pay poorly (there may be some exceptions such as Mayo), usually in the range of $150-$240 although some may let you make more money covering nights. A major reason for this is that a lot of outpatient revenue is taken by a Dean's tax or fee which can take 10-15% of your revenue, basically negating your profit from clinic. If you are on a research track you will usually be paid less than on a clinical track.

2nd and 3rd tier academic centers which don't utilize this model and have more trouble recruiting pay better (think Kansas, Nebraska, Harvard (joke), Arkansas, etc)

This information is derived from my limited experience interviewing for academic jobs and experiences of co-fellows so I'm sure exceptions exist.

This post is spot on. I had a similar experience interviewing. Lower tier academic centers will generally start at 250-300K, and offer productivity bonuses. They pay only slightly below private practice in my region. The top academic institutions pay about 50% of private practice. You can make money on the side doing visiting talks, consulting, and ICU night coverage.

In my opinion if you have a lot of debt, working at a top academic center for 170K is not worth it, unless (maybe) you’re doing NIH loan repayment

This post is spot on. I had a similar experience interviewing. Lower tier academic centers will generally start at 250-300K, and offer productivity bonuses. They pay only slightly below private practice in my region. The top academic institutions pay about 50% of private practice. You can make money on the side doing visiting talks, consulting, and ICU night coverage.

In my opinion if you have a lot of debt, working at a top academic center for 170K is not worth it, unless (maybe) you’re doing NIH loan repayment

I wouldn't say 250-300k is "slightly" below private practice - there are some really lucrative PP gigs out there.

Comparing the highest paying academic job to lower paying PP jobs isn't a fair comparison.

I wouldn't say 250-300k is "slightly" below private practice - there are some really lucrative PP gigs out there.

Comparing the highest paying academic job to lower paying PP jobs isn't a fair comparison.

That's true but I was just trying to give some ballpark figures. Most PP jobs in my region start around 350K, however I'm sure there are more lucrative jobs and other parts of the country where salaries are higher. You could always make a lot more money in PP, I suppose.
Some academic jobs I looked at also had productivity incentives + moonlighting options that would put you around 350K, supposedly (how that actually works in reality I'm not sure).

That's true but I was just trying to give some ballpark figures. Most PP jobs in my region start around 350K, however I'm sure there are more lucrative jobs and other parts of the country where salaries are higher. You could always make a lot more money in PP, I suppose.
Some academic jobs I looked at also had productivity incentives + moonlighting options that would put you around 350K, supposedly (how that actually works in reality I'm not sure).

350k is pretty good for academia. The academic shop in my area pays like 200k plus incentives in my area for most IM subspecialties.

Just as a clarification - when I say academic jobs, I am referring to university hospitals and not community hospitals that happen to have residency programs and rotating medical students.

Thanks!

Long-time lurker here. As an attending at a major academic medical center, I can provide some specific data. I did not interview
at all these places; much of this info is derived from experiences of colleagues a few years ago so I won't claim total accuracy.

Assistant Professor salaries (on clinical track) - note that research track positions will generally pay less
Minnesota - 240K
Mayo - 230-250K
Loyola - 250K
Rush - 250-300K
Michigan - 170K
Indiana - 240K
Ohio State - 240K
WashU (St. Louis) - 180K
Saint Louis University - 280K
Kansas - 300K
UT Southwestern - 250K
Penn - 180K
UCLA - 350-400K clinical track, $210 research track

If anyone wants to dispute or add to these, feel free.
As a general rule, I think, the 'top' places pay worse although there is definitely geographic variation.

Reactions: 1 users
Long-time lurker here. As an attending at a major academic medical center, I can provide some specific data. I did not interview
at all these places; much of this info is derived from experiences of colleagues a few years ago so I won't claim total accuracy.

Assistant Professor salaries (on clinical track) - note that research track positions will generally pay less
Minnesota - 240K
Mayo - 230-250K
Loyola - 250K
Rush - 250-300K
Michigan - 170K
Indiana - 240K
Ohio State - 240K
WashU (St. Louis) - 180K
Kansas - 300K
UT Southwestern - 250K
Penn - 180K

As a general rule, I think, the 'top' places pay worse although there is definitely geographic variation.

Saint Louis U more like 220-250 last I heard.

Anyone have any idea what Nebraska is paying these days?

Minnesota - 240K
Mayo - 230-250K
Loyola - 250K
Rush - 250-300K
Michigan - 170K
Indiana - 240K
Ohio State - 240K
WashU (St. Louis) - 180K
Kansas - 300K
UT Southwestern - 250K
Penn - 180K

Why is UCLA so high compared to most the rest?!

Because the cost of living in Westwood and nearby is so high...That salary in LA will take you about as far as 150K in Chicago.
However I don't believe UCSF, with a similar or higher cost of living, pays anything close to that.

Because the cost of living in Westwood and nearby is so high...That salary in LA will take you about as far as 150K in Chicago.
However I don't believe UCSF, with a similar or higher cost of living, pays anything close to that.
Not just UCSF, at least as far as I can tell, most of the other UC's don't seem to pay $350-$400 either for asst profs (even a clinical track)! So (if $350-$400 is supposed to be an accurate salary) it's strange that UCLA seems to be an outlier. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Academic salary scales | UCOP

I agree, it's strange. This information is publicly available through online databases of UC salaries and it appears to be correct.
Kudos to undisclosed lurker for providing these numbers. It's helpful for those going through the job search.