High Paying Salaries Outside of the USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaolinRX

All you have is contrast
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a professor that has suggested that there are several places overseas that have some amazing salaries for N. American PharmD's...Some of the places he mentioned were Dubai and Saudi Arabia, however all the wages I've seen posted online are quite low so I was hoping that someone might be able to confirm it for me based on personal experience. My wife and I would love to be able to live in different foreign countries while I worked. Anyone able to confirm anything in regard to Dubai? Or know of any other places that pay well? Or know of any agencies that will send you overseas?

I found this salary calculator that basically provides current salaries/info, but I didn't want to search the entire world over, and I don't know how accurate it is. (I've found Dubai's wages, but they don't measure up to what my professor said). LINK HERE

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a professor that has suggested that there are several places overseas that have some amazing salaries for N. American PharmD's...Some of the places he mentioned were Dubai and Saudi Arabia, however all the wages I've seen posted online are quite low so I was hoping that someone might be able to confirm it for me based on personal experience. My wife and I would love to be able to live in different foreign countries while I worked. Anyone able to confirm anything in regard to Dubai? Or know of any other places that pay well? Or know of any agencies that will send you overseas?

I found this salary calculator that basically provides current salaries/info, but I didn't want to search the entire world over, and I don't know how accurate it is. (I've found Dubai's wages, but they don't measure up to what my professor said). LINK HERE

Thanks

I would say an average of 80,000 euro in France where the majority of people are unemployed, or 40,000 US in China where fried rice costs 50 cents is pretty good for a pharmacist. I mean 80,000 US $ in Saudi Arabia is not too bad considering everything is socialized there.

Last edited:
OoOoH I like this thread!! Tell me more, where else can I travel to and make great money as a pharmacist!!??

Members don't see this ad :)
OoOoH I like this thread!! Tell me more, where else can I travel to and make great money as a pharmacist!!??

Just entering in random places through the salary calculator I pulled up a few interesting figures:

Switzerland: ~$160,000 USD
Germany: ~$160,000 USD
Australia: ~$138,000 USD
Spain: ~$115,000 USD
Italy, France: ~$80,000 USD

No word on Dubai?

Just entering in random places through the salary calculator I pulled up a few interesting figures:

No word on Dubai?

From what I've seen, those numbers are extremely overestimated.

REMEMBER taxes in most european countries reach approximately 50% of your earnings ( depending on the case of course ) plus 16-17% in every-day purchases ...

From what I've seen, those numbers are extremely overestimated.

Agreed. It says pharmacists make ~ $80,000 a year in Lithuania. I am from Lithuania. I know that is it a complete BS. Pharmacists in Lithuania make about ten times less.

Agreed. It says pharmacists make ~ $80,000 a year in Lithuania. I am from Lithuania. I know that is it a complete BS. Pharmacists in Lithuania make about ten times less.

My ancestry is Lithuanian so I've looked it up and its 88,798 Litai, not US Dollars. Roughly equates to ~$40,000 USD a year....not to mention 10 times less is 8K a year (McDonald's employees make more than that in Lithuania).

I've lived in Europe and I think for the most part these salaries are fairly accurate, considering many of them own their own pharmacies, but you're right about the taxes being outrageously high.

damn - lots of Baltics here! I think PharmDStudent is Lithuanian... I may be the lone Latvian of the bunch!

No word on Dubai?

yes, but a family lunch in suisse can cost 100 bucks easy for a chili's type restaurant

I've lived in Europe and I think for the most part these salaries are fairly accurate, considering many of them own their own pharmacies, but you're right about the taxes being outrageously high.

Maybe that's why they can afford to have good government-supported healthcare :smuggrin:

How can you just go anywhere to work? Won't you need a work permit from the country?

Members don't see this ad :)

Australia: ~$138,000 USD :laugh::laugh::laugh:

No word on Dubai?

That is complete BS for Australia. Where the hell did you get that number from?! For the record, Australian pharmacists get paid way less, not even half of that.

That is complete BS for Australia. Where the hell did you get that number from?! For the record, Australian pharmacists get paid way less, not even half of that.

Don't be too surprised, the other day some smarty pants thought Alaskan pharmacists all got 2 million dollar signing bonuses. There is no IQ test for SDN membership.

I'm sure the Columbian drug lords get paid pretty well. :laugh:

How can you just go anywhere to work? Won't you need a work permit from the country?

I wonder the same thing!! do you have to take different boards for each country?

X2

Pharmacists get pain NOTHING in Australia! They get paid about twice as much as minimum wage and things are extremely expensive here. Pharmacists have no buying power in Australia.

tharper14 said:

lmao at you. I pulled the numbers out of my rectum in an attempt to appease the overlords of this site....If you'd have read the first post you'd be capable of viewing the source of those salary quotes. I never said they were accurate. It would be nice if you would start taking your own advice by stating the source of your "extensive expertise" on the matter. Not that I mind reading a bunch of sarcasm and prattle, but it would be nice to see something with a little more substance from someone that actually knows how much pharmacists makes in other countries.

its hard to tell how realistic website are that post salaries...so I don't think its your fault...

lmao at you. I pulled the numbers out of my rectum in an attempt to appease the overlords of this site....If you'd have read the first post you'd be capable of viewing the source of those salary quotes. I never said they were accurate. It would be nice if you would start taking your own advice by stating the source of your "extensive expertise" on the matter. Not that I mind reading a bunch of sarcasm and prattle, but it would be nice to see something with a little more substance from someone that actually knows how much pharmacists makes in other countries.

I'm Australian.

Is pay for pharmacists low all over the world, because in the UK it's low.

damn - lots of Baltics here! I think PharmDStudent is Lithuanian... I may be the lone Latvian of the bunch!

I am from Latvia, but I consider myself Russian. So you are not the only from Latvia.

did we ever finish this thread? :)

I talked to a patient yesterday that just had an extended vacation in Dubai. She told me that there was such a huge demand for medical professionals there that they'd pay double what they would in the U.S. That's twice now that I've heard that from a fairly reliable source, but the search results don't match up when I google it. Do you think that sites would purposely lie about the salaries there...keep Dubai a selective market for personal/business interests? Maybe they're just outdated.

this post is awesome

I heard that they pay 400,000 in alaska lol I don kno if it is true

Hey guys,

I went to Dubai in the summer of 2006 and yes, there is a huge need of medical professionals.

However, at that time, I realized Dubai is one of the worse places to live.

My reasons:

- Construction workers are treated as slaves and they all wear similar clothes (blue shirts/ pants).

- Living in the city provides a location between the rich and the poor. (e.g. You can live in a great condo, but once you step outside, you'll see plenty of those buses filled with East Indian workers who are treated like dogs - and it's not a good feeling.)

- The weather is SO hot and it could reach up to its mid 40s in the summer and most of your time spent in Dubai will be inside with air conditioning turned to MAX POWER!

- The terrain of Dubai is mostly sand or tarmac (roads), and if you wear shoes - good luck enjoying sports such as soccer, football or even hockey. There is NO PLACE TO PLAY!

- It's either overpriced or under-priced. (e.g. You go to the mall and you want to eat a meal: 11.99 Durhams | But then you walk outside and get the same meal for 2.99 Durhams). Stupid.

- Taxi Drivers: They only know a few words of English and its hard to tell whether he (yes, only HE) is ripping you off or not.

I've been to Europe and the Middle East (Syria, Jordan, and Iraq) and other places and I'd prefer to live in Iraq than Dubai.

And on a side note: Did you know that at 1 AM+ in the morning there are undercover cops looking for illegal immigrants - my brother was caught talking outside with his cell, and as he could only speak English, he was arrested just for sitting outside and we thought he had been kidnapped!

I vote Dubai the worse place to live. Whether it paid me a million dollars a year as health professional (I don't know what I'm doing yet...) I would not even dare think about going there. Fck that.

I'm staying right here in North America (Canada/ US). Or maybe France. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the Dubai statements. What about Switerzland, beautiful place, any need for pharmacists there?