New Zealand pharmacist wanting to work in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsdhaliwal68`

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a NZ registered pharmacist, and was wondering if there is any pathway for our degree to be used to practise here? A friend of mine a few years back moved here and said he was not able to use his degree but just wanted a second opinion. I have been looking at the NABP page in detail but there isn't anything specific about which countries degrees they would consider. Our degree is a Bachelor of Pharmacy and is 4 years.
Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome,
as I am an immigrant too, let me chime in:

International pharmacists may obtain a license to practice pharmacy in the U.S. through one of two ways:

1. Taking the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Examination® (FPGEC) and completing the requirements of the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy.
  2. Successfully completing a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) program at a school or college of pharmacy in the U.S.
Now, could anyone just immigrate and work here, that's a NO. As you are aware, our Pharm.D. degree is not equivalent to your 4-year BS degree.
Then, there are certain allowances made for Canadian Pharmacist and the states bordering Canada (don't know what!)
NABP is a bear to deal with! Even license transfer among states is difficult, took me a good 8 months, an exam and $1000 in fees! To reciprocate between 2 states.

Your friend is absolutely correct on this matter. Then there are the Visa requirements, a whole other topic, also discussed in this forum. I too know of many people with BS in pharmacy, or even MS, or Ph.D. from overseas, working as pharmacy techs. Now there are many acceptable BS degrees from other countries, but no R.Ph. access.

On the other hand, you would be pleased to know, there are a bunch of us, USA pharmacists, trying to move to New Zealand. Just search for that thread. Just trying to get away from this dangerous, corrupt, failing economy, society!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I work at hospital. One of our pharmacist is from South Africa and thats where she got her degree, she moved here in her 40's. Definitely possible. She is licensed in California, Texas and Virginia.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work at hospital. One of our pharmacist is from South Africa and thats where she got her degree, she moved here in her 40's. Definitely possible. She is licensed in California, Texas and Virginia.
When did she come to the US? Prior to 2003, only a 4 year degree was required. The chains brought thousands of pharmacists over in the late 80s/early 90s. Not so much anymore.

No one is saying it's impossible. It's definitely a very difficult process, in two different ways, passing all required exams, even before sitting for NABPLEX, and the work visa issues that have to be dealt with. And don't forget the 1800 or 2200 intern hours for pharmacist, hard to schedule when you are not affiliated with any school. For every foreign pharmacist, or even MD, that is able to practice here in the USA, I can show you 10 or 20 that are working as Pharm.Techs, lab techs, or in research.

Reactions: 1 user
On the other hand, you would be pleased to know, there are a bunch of us, USA pharmacists, trying to move to New Zealand. Just search for that thread. Just trying to get away from this dangerous, corrupt, failing economy, society!

While the US and New Zealand economy are pretty similar, the US is a bit better than the New Zealand economy. US economy is doing very well right now, even in spite of all the COVID setbacks. US economy is definitely nowhere close to failing. Crime rate is certainly higher in some states and area of the US, than in New Zealand, but the US is large enough that one can find pretty safe areas to live in. People moving to New Zealand expecting its going to be a paradise compared to the US, are going to be disappointed to find little difference between the US and New Zealand.

While the US and New Zealand economy are pretty similar, the US is a bit better than the New Zealand economy. US economy is doing very well right now, even in spite of all the COVID setbacks. US economy is definitely nowhere close to failing. Crime rate is certainly higher in some states and area of the US, than in New Zealand, but the US is large enough that one can find pretty safe areas to live in. People moving to New Zealand expecting its going to be a paradise compared to the US, are going to be disappointed to find little difference between the US and New Zealand.
I guess the sarcasm was lost on my fellow forum member. Have you not read the long thread about US pharmacist trying to get to NZ? Lots of forum members desperately trying to get out of this country.
Hey, I am a wet back, it was a major effort, just getting into this country. I ain't going nowhere. I love this country, USA has been berry berry good to me. We are still the number one emigration destination for the world! In spite of everything.

• Hmm
I'm going to New Zealand next week!

That is all.

Reactions: 1 users