High Point University PharmD Program Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tennismaniac

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I completed my P1 year at High Point University located in High Point, NC. Here is an honest and accurate review of my experience. The purpose of this post is to give pre-Pharm students a synopsis of what the school is like.

1. Courses and professors- Some professors are excellent, such as the med chem professors. In fact, you will enjoy med chem labs. The calculations professor is a nice guy, but his course is the worst. He does not teach the class. It is expected that students have to teach themselves. Every Wednesday at 8 AM, he comes to the class to address any questions, but he does not instruct or actually teach the concepts. I do not understand why our tuition money does toward paying professors who do not teach. That course is only once a week and there are only 3 exams (two tests and a final and weekly quizzes) so if you don't pass the exams, then you're f***ed. Rest of the courses are doable. Exams are given online through Examsoft and they are on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7:45 AM. There is a weird rule that says if a student comes late for the exam and if 1 person finishes the exam before the student comes in then the late student gets a 0 and fails the exam. The school favors some students over others and it is not fair to everyone. P1 year has more exams every week so you really have to stay on top of your s**t. Physiology (first semester course as a P1 is hard because there is a **** ton of info you have to learn-the course is taught by different professors. Classes begin at 8 am Monday, Wed. and Friday and at 10 am Tuesday and Thursday-but if you have an exam on Tuesday and Thursday then you show up at 7:45 AM. High level of professionalism, so turn in your forms on time! Most of the professors are good-like the clinical skills professor, med chem, therapeutics, ambulatory care etc. Immunology (second semester P1 course) is a hard, but doable course. In courses like clinical skills and case rec- you do a lot of peer evaluations, which are highly subjective. Ambulatory care is doable-you learn a lot about OTC products, which is beneficial as a pharmacist. For clinical skills-to be immunization certified- you have to shell out at least $140 (or something to that amount) in order to obtain your immunization certificate-which is bu*****t. Also, there's a bunch of certifications, drug tests, etc. and the school makes you pay for them which is annoying and frustrating. Yet they're part of your grade so if you don't do it, you're f***d.

2. Campus/Students-Campus is gorgeous. However, tuition is $60k/ year which is expensive AF. In this saturated job market, ask yourself it is worth it? In fact every morning from 7 am to 10 am they give hot chocolate and muffins (M,W.F) and uncrustables (T and Thurs.)-which is awesome. Classrooms are pristine with amazing labs. The architecture of the school of pharmacy is beautiful with a huge DNA helix that changes colors. Even the study rooms are beautiful with white boards and screens. Printing is convenient and one of the few things that's FREE!!!! So you can print in any part of campus/building-you can even print wireless from your laptop. Students are all right. Some are nice and polite but I felt like many of my classmates were rude AF and they act like they're in middle school. One blonde white trash b***h I worked with in clinical skills during my second semester was so rude. We had to do a group activity and the professor gave us a sheet of paper with instructions and I was trying to read the paper -she yelled at me accusing me of invading her "personal space," which was not true. I mean some of these classmates really need to grow up. One dumb b***h cussed me out in the study room for no reason just because I walked in and asked her friend for a paper (or something to that extent). I understand pharmacy school is stressful but when classmates take their anger out on each other, it does not create a learning conducive environment. I mean some of these classmates are crass they and do not show the professional manners needed to be a healthcare professional.

3. Rotations- rotations are either a hit or miss. And your name is entered in a lottery system. Usually by December 1 you find out about your rotations. So rotations are usually 4-5 weeks in the summer. Because you are there for a short amount of time, you really don't learn much. Because it is a lottery based system, You either get really good, caring preceptors or horrible, terrible preceptors. I had a he**ish experience with a Nazi preceptor. I have had many professors and I have never had one as horrible as her. I am still traumatized what happened with my rotation experience. I will definitely write a post about my h***lish rotation experience. But let me say my experience was terrible. I DID NOT LEARN A SINGLE JACKSH*T THING. My preceptor told s**t and lies about me to the IPPE coordinator and he stupidly sided with her instead of understanding my reasoning involved. In fact, before the IPPE coordinator sent me to this site, he told be, "your preceptor says does not like students, but you will learn a lot" which makes me wonder why she decided to be a preceptor. Even after 1 year, I cringe with anger and frustration that this promise was not fulfilled. Rotations are the most important part of the curriculum because you learn information that will help you succeed as a pharmacist. I contacted an educational lawyer about my experience and the lawyer looked at all documents-including all the documents listed in CORE (website used to upload the rotation documents) saying I had a case to sue the school since the preceptor & IPPE coordinator committed educational malpractice. All I can say is that it was an extremely harrowing experience that caused a lot of emotional trauma. Also, let me add that my rotation incident was leaked hours later even though I had not told any classmates (have the texts as proof). However, due to the time & expense factors, I decided it was best to "walk away." With a bad preceptors, how can students gain skills needed to provide patient-care? But for a 3-4 year old program, the preceptors are all not going to be the best.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I completed my P1 year at High Point University located in High Point, NC. Here is an honest and accurate review of my experience. The purpose of this post is to give pre-Pharm students a synopsis of what the school is like.

1. Courses and professors- Some professors are excellent, such as the med chem professors. In fact, you will enjoy med chem labs. The calculations professor is a nice guy, but his course is the worst. He does not teach the class. It is expected that students have to teach themselves. Every Wednesday at 8 AM, he comes to the class to address any questions, but he does not instruct or actually teach the concepts. I do not understand why our tuition money does toward paying professors who do not teach. That course is only once a week and there are only 3 exams (two tests and a final and weekly quizzes) so if you don't pass the exams, then you're f***ed. Rest of the courses are doable. Exams are given online through Examsoft and they are on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7:45 AM. There is a weird rule that says if a student comes late for the exam and if 1 person finishes the exam before the student comes in then the late student gets a 0 and fails the exam. The school favors some students over others and it is not fair to everyone. P1 year has more exams every week so you really have to stay on top of your s**t. Physiology (first semester course as a P1 is hard because there is a **** ton of info you have to learn-the course is taught by different professors. Classes begin at 8 am Monday, Wed. and Friday and at 10 am Tuesday and Thursday-but if you have an exam on Tuesday and Thursday then you show up at 7:45 AM. High level of professionalism, so turn in your forms on time! Most of the professors are good-like the clinical skills professor, med chem, therapeutics, ambulatory care etc. Immunology (second semester P1 course) is a hard, but doable course. In courses like clinical skills and case rec- you do a lot of peer evaluations, which are highly subjective. Ambulatory care is doable-you learn a lot about OTC products, which is beneficial as a pharmacist. For clinical skills-to be immunization certified- you have to shell out at least $140 (or something to that amount) in order to obtain your immunization certificate-which is bu*****t. Also, there's a bunch of certifications, drug tests, etc. and the school makes you pay for them which is annoying and frustrating. Yet they're part of your grade so if you don't do it, you're f***d.

2. Campus/Students-Campus is gorgeous. However, tuition is $60k/ year which is expensive AF. In this saturated job market, ask yourself it is worth it? In fact every morning from 7 am to 10 am they give hot chocolate and muffins (M,W.F) and uncrustables (T and Thurs.)-which is awesome. Classrooms are pristine with amazing labs. The architecture of the school of pharmacy is beautiful with a huge DNA helix that changes colors. Even the study rooms are beautiful with white boards and screens. Printing is convenient and one of the few things that's FREE!!!! So you can print in any part of campus/building-you can even print wireless from your laptop. Students are all right. Some are nice and polite but I felt like many of my classmates were rude AF and they act like they're in middle school. One blonde white trash b***h I worked with in clinical skills during my second semester was so rude. We had to do a group activity and the professor gave us a sheet of paper with instructions and I was trying to read the paper -she yelled at me accusing me of invading her "personal space," which was not true. I mean some of these classmates really need to grow up. One dumb b***h cussed me out in the study room for no reason just because I walked in and asked her friend for a paper (or something to that extent). I understand pharmacy school is stressful but when classmates take their anger out on each other, it does not create a learning conducive environment. I mean some of these classmates are crass they and do not show the professional manners needed to be a healthcare professional.

3. Rotations- rotations are either a hit or miss. And your name is entered in a lottery system. Usually by December 1 you find out about your rotations. So rotations are usually 4-5 weeks in the summer. Because you are there for a short amount of time, you really don't learn much. Because it is a lottery based system, You either get really good, caring preceptors or horrible, terrible preceptors. I had a he**ish experience with a Nazi preceptor. I have had many professors and I have never had one as horrible as her. I am still traumatized what happened with my rotation experience. I will definitely write a post about my h***lish rotation experience. But let me say my experience was terrible. I DID NOT LEARN A SINGLE JACKSH*T THING. My preceptor told s**t and lies about me to the IPPE coordinator and he stupidly sided with her instead of understanding my reasoning involved. In fact, before the IPPE coordinator sent me to this site, he told be, "your preceptor says does not like students, but you will learn a lot" which makes me wonder why she decided to be a preceptor. Even after 1 year, I cringe with anger and frustration that this promise was not fulfilled. Rotations are the most important part of the curriculum because you learn information that will help you succeed as a pharmacist. I contacted an educational lawyer about my experience and the lawyer looked at all documents-including all the documents listed in CORE (website used to upload the rotation documents) saying I had a case to sue the school since the preceptor & IPPE coordinator committed educational malpractice. All I can say is that it was an extremely harrowing experience that caused a lot of emotional trauma. Also, let me add that my rotation incident was leaked hours later even though I had not told any classmates (have the texts as proof). However, due to the time & expense factors, I decided it was best to "walk away." With a bad preceptors, how can students gain skills needed to provide patient-care? But for a 3-4 year old program, the preceptors are all not going to be the best.

As promised, here's my rotation experience. (Brief overview):

I was supposed to be at the rotation for 4 weeks on May of last year at Harris Teeter pharmacy in Burlington, NC, and my preceptor was not even there the first day & most of the second day. There was no teaching, no academic instruction, etc. For most of the time, I worked with the other pharmacist and he told s**t and lies about me to the IPPE coordinator-saying crap like, "she did not participate." "Or she didn't seem interested." Which were LIES since I was contributing by filling vials, answering phone calls, organizing shelves, etc. Granted I had just started so I was still getting used to the flow of things so I didn't know the computer system well & I was told for legal reasons I was not allowed to use the register. At around 5 pm on the second day, the preceptor walks, pulls me aside and says, "oh the other pharmacist said you're not contributing at all"-which was BULLS**T. I then worked with her for 2 hours and apparently she called the school's IPPE coordinator and told him, "I cannot pass this student," and when I walked in on my 3rd day the preceptor told me to work on my OTC list project. Then I saw the IPPE coordinator walk in (in my mind, I thought he was visiting). Apparently, both the IPPE coordinator and the preceptor sat me down and told me I failed the rotation-with no midpoint evaluation, no academic warning, no teaching, no instruction.

Their reasoning did not make logical sense because they said, "you don't seem interested in this profession, so we're not gonna pass you." This was the WORST MOMENT IN MY ACADEMIC CAREER. I presented my case to the academic standards committee and the dean and they pretty much said the preceptor has the right to do whatever she wants-which is bull****. The dean himself (different dean last year than this year) said lies just to "cover up their tracks," by saying "well you actually had two preceptors-which is weird he said that because if I did have two preceptors, I would think I would have been told that info before the rotation. In fact, the school themselves violated the rules by not giving an academic warning and not ensuring the preceptor followed ACPE guidelines. Granted HPU is a non-accredited school, but they still did derail my academic career. Lies were written in the statement by both the preceptor and the IPPE coordinator saying s**t like, "she complained about various aspects of the pharmacy." ie sitting down. I may have sat down during a moment when there was no customers or actual scripts to be filled, but I was on my feet when there was work to be done. Also, they also lied saying, "the preceptor gave her a documented list of improvements and asked her to write an action plan," which did not happen. While the preceptor did address her "concerns" she neither gave a warning nor a documented list. Plus, the same day (after I left), she had already called the IPPE coordinator and decided to fail me, so it would have have not made a difference since she already decided the same day to fail & dismiss me. Preceptor also said I disagreed with her on how to counsel a patient, which was bu*****t. She said, "There are 3 points you make when counseling a patient," and I said, "oh so you wouldn't tell them the MOA-I was actually agreeing with her & I said this to elaborate her argument-but she lied and said I disagreed with her. Also, the dean wrote I made several dispensing errors-which was a LIE.

I actually consulted an educational lawyer & I showed them all documents in CORE (website used to upload rotational documents) and the preceptor/IPPE coordinator's statement and I was told the school committed educational malpractice. I f*****g lost $60K. On top of that-instead of making me redo the rotation at a different site. The school f*****G said I had to repeat P1 year (all the classes I had passed). Ultimately I decided it was best to let the school "win this battle," which is why I rage quit my program. BUT LEMME TELL YOU IF YOU KNOW ANYONE APPLYING TO HIGH POINT PHARMD SCHOOL-TELL THEM NOT TO APPLY HERE. The school is supposed to support its students or the school could have at least put me in a different site. I can understand if this incident was my fault then I would take full responsibility-but the school has this mentality that "students should blindly follow what they're told to do." Even if the student was graded or treated unfairly, they should actually look at things from the student's perspective-instead of giving the student a hard time. The school is actually going against their own values of giving students a proper, fair education. Plus, the even their reasoning involved was very vague and not supported by sufficient evidence. So those of you reading this, may wanna think twice before applying to HPU.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.