High School Algebra VS College Algebra

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken Algebra I, II and Trigonometry in high school. Do I still need to take College Algebra and College Trigonometry in college again ? What is the difference between college algebra and high school algebra I and II ? :confused:

Thanks for any comments in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

You will probably take a placement test that will assign you what math to go on to. I would hope/assume you would start in calculus.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering about that too.

I will have taken trig (1/2 semester), analytic geometry (1/2 semester), algebra 1 & 2, and geometry by the time i finish high school. But i still plan to take college algebra and trig again just because math is my weakest subject. Not saying you need to, but if you do, I'll be there with you. :)

I'm currently deciding wether I want to take the AP test for Calc or just take it again in college.

What's the difference? One is for high school students. The other is for college students. ZING!! One word of advice. If you take your placement tests and get placed into something you've already taken, don't sit in the class and complain that, "in high school we did it this way." Nobody cares.

Ew, maths. I plan on staying away from algebrea and calc throughout college and just resign to not apply to the 5-6 med schools that require them.

Ew, maths. I plan on staying away from algebrea and calc throughout college and just resign to not apply to the 5-6 med schools that require them.

I feel the exact same way... but they look soo pretty on my transcript...

I feel the exact same way... but they look soo pretty on my transcript...

Hopkins requires calc, but they accept AP credit. Just need to make the decision if I want to take it again.

Whoops, quoted the wrong person. To the one asking about taking the AP calc test. Take it.

And to the OP, if you have already taken high school algebra, why would you want to take the same thing in college? You didn't do any other math in highschool?

Hopkins requires calc, but they accept AP credit. Just need to make the decision if I want to take it again.

I think I'll end up doing everything over again anyways... unless it conflicts or I get too much on my plate. If Med School's rather college classes and I've already scored high enough to place out of the class then it'll probably be fairly easy to make an A in it anyways.

Well they offer college algebra at my high school which is the same as MTH 135 at our state university, which is like a second or third tier algebra course at the college.

From personal experience, it wasn't much worse than algebra II. It's just mostly graphs, and once you get the hang of it it isn't too bad. I'm making a better grade in it than I was in algebra II, but that might just be because of a change in work ethic.

The main difference for me is the fact that homework is optional and worth no credit. You only get points for quizzes and tests, and the final is worth 30% of your total grade. I'm not sure if that's how it is at all universities or how they do it, but that's my personal experience with it. So it takes a decent degree of discipline over Alg II and your typical high school courses, or your grade will be shot with no extra credit or means of raising it.

Also, I'm taking trig at the same time and several topics overlap. Transformations of graphs, logarithms, quadratic, square root, circular, and exponential functions, interval notation, factoring, sequences and binomial expansion, maybe a couple more topics even.

You've probably had a decent bit of exposure to most of the topics covered in college algebra. It's just more extensive and covers a few extra types of graphs (rational, polynomial, logarithmic, linear programming).

I'm taking the final for it tommorow, so I'll tell you how that goes :scared:

Well they offer college algebra at my high school which is the same as MTH 135 at our state university, which is like a second or third tier algebra course at the college.

From personal experience, it wasn't much worse than algebra II. It's just mostly graphs, and once you get the hang of it it isn't too bad. I'm making a better grade in it than I was in algebra II, but that might just be because of a change in work ethic.

The main difference for me is the fact that homework is optional and worth no credit. You only get points for quizzes and tests, and the final is worth 30% of your total grade. I'm not sure if that's how it is at all universities or how they do it, but that's my personal experience with it. So it takes a decent degree of discipline over Alg II and your typical high school courses, or your grade will be shot with no extra credit or means of raising it.

Also, I'm taking trig at the same time and several topics overlap. Transformations of graphs, logarithms, quadratic, square root, circular, and exponential functions, interval notation, factoring, sequences and binomial expansion, maybe a couple more topics even.

You've probably had a decent bit of exposure to most of the topics covered in college algebra. It's just more extensive and covers a few extra types of graphs (rational, polynomial, logarithmic, linear programming).

Good luck :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)

taking both at the same time works ok? I would be afraid that i would need some of the college algebra stuff for trig before we had covered it. that would be nice if i could get both over at once though.

and good luck tomorrow!

By the way, in Canada, home work worth zero % from grade 10. The final exam worth 20% in grade 10, 30% in grade 11 and 40% in grade 12. :eek:

I just did many practice questions now for no marks. Going to bed.

I have taken Algebra I, II and Trigonometry in high school. Do I still need to take College Algebra and College Trigonometry in college again ? What is the difference between college algebra and high school algebra I and II ? :confused:

Thanks for any comments in advance. :)

In my school there were Math and Writing placement test. They used your math score to place you in the appropriate science course etc. If you do get place into algebra (which I believe is equivalent to pre-calc), you notice that you are covering some new and also some old topics. Furthermore, you may have to work at a faster pace in college algebra than in HS algebra.

I'm currently deciding wether I want to take the AP test for Calc or just take it again in college.

Some science majors have a math requirement which the AP would fulfill. However, med schools and other professional schools prefer (others require) that you to take 1 semester of the subject you placed out of with AP.

taking both at the same time works ok? I would be afraid that i would need some of the college algebra stuff for trig before we had covered it. that would be nice if i could get both over at once though.

and good luck tomorrow!

Sorry for the late response.

It actually works really rather well. You don't have a transitional period between classes (like you take alg 1 freshman year, then alg 2 sopho you usually forget a lot and need to brush up).

Trig at my school is called Trig/Math Analysis. Only a few chapters of it were actual trigonometry. A lot of it was algebra, sequences, some functions and logs. And all of that was also covered in the college algebra (to a more difficult degree). So basically I learned something in college algebra, then went and did an easier version of it a block later in trig (except for the unit circle/trig identities, and a couple other easy subjects).

Trig is basically pre-calc (according to my teacher). And calculus is a mix of algebra and trig, so it makes sense that a lot of pre-calc involves algebra.

At first when I saw that they put the two together I kinda freaked out, but I'm pretty glad it worked out the way it did. I'd recommend it.

Oh, and the final went pretty well. A few of the questions seemed a little sketchy but I think I did good. :)

It actually works really rather well. You don't have a transitional period between classes (like you take alg 1 freshman year, then alg 2 sopho you usually forget a lot and need to brush up).

Trig at my school is called Trig/Math Analysis. Only a few chapters of it were actual trigonometry. A lot of it was algebra, sequences, some functions and logs. And all of that was also covered in the college algebra (to a more difficult degree). So basically I learned something in college algebra, then went and did an easier version of it a block later in trig (except for the unit circle/trig identities, and a couple other easy subjects).

Trig is basically pre-calc (according to my teacher). And calculus is a mix of algebra and trig, so it makes sense that a lot of pre-calc involves algebra.

At first when I saw that they put the two together I kinda freaked out, but I'm pretty glad it worked out the way it did. I'd recommend it.

Oh, and the final went pretty well. A few of the questions seemed a little sketchy but I think I did good. :)

Thanks for your advice. :)

How do you usually study for college algebra though ? Just by doing home work ?

Thanks for your advice. :)

How do you usually study for college algebra though ? Just by doing home work ?

Pretty much. It's the best way to study (maybe the only way) in math classes.

I found it clicked pretty well for me so I didn't do too much homework in the class and still ran a 95%.

First quarter of trig was pretty much all algebra stuff. The trig didn't start until second quarter. Taking both at the same time definitely attributed to me picking back up my algebra skills (hadn't taken alg 2 in over a year, and I didn't even know half the stuff when I was taking the class :laugh:) more quickly.

I find that the upper-level courses like Trig and College Algebra have better teachers too. Maybe it's just luck of the draw, but it seems that way to me.

Pretty much. It's the best way to study (maybe the only way) in math classes.

I found it clicked pretty well for me so I didn't do too much homework in the class and still ran a 95%.

First quarter of trig was pretty much all algebra stuff. The trig didn't start until second quarter. Taking both at the same time definitely attributed to me picking back up my algebra skills (hadn't taken alg 2 in over a year, and I didn't even know half the stuff when I was taking the class :laugh:) more quickly.

I find that the upper-level courses like Trig and College Algebra have better teachers too. Maybe it's just luck of the draw, but it seems that way to me.

Thanks a lot =]

Feel free to join our H.SDN section too. :luck:

ok i think i might try that. Thanks! I have had most of the trig stuff you mentioned, so maybe it will be at least partly review. unless they tell you, how would you know that a high school course is equivalent to a college course?

ok i think i might try that. Thanks! I have had most of the trig stuff you mentioned, so maybe it will be at least partly review. unless they tell you, how would you know that a high school course is equivalent to a college course?

You'd probably have to look at course outlines for each, otherwise I'm not really sure. The homework load in high school is probably higher, since as far as I know in college you don't have much homework. In high school you'll be guided/hand held through it but in college you'll probably be on your own to study and make sure you know the material well enough.

If you have already covered algebra, you should be fine to do calculus. College Calc classes are pretty basic. I did Algebra in 8th and 9th grade, geometry in 10th grade and then AP calc in 12th. Don't worry about things like this. You will probably take a math placement test when you go to orientation which will tell you what course to take...

I took Algebra II in my freshman year, and that teacher told me that his students at the local university do just about the same things we do.

As for me, I have taken THREE years of Calculus, and I am sick and tired of it!!! I am PRAYING that I can take just Statisitics in college and be done with (pure) mathmatics FOREVER! :xf:

Here's a question: would College Algebra essentially be a conglamorate of HS Algebra I and II? If I were to take College Algebra, would i also be as profficient as someone who only took HS Algebra I and II?

I have completed ALG I, ALG II, GEO, and was in Pre-Cal before i dropped out of high school, so i am already mostly along in math. Right now, I am actually preparing to take the ASVAB test to join the military, with plans to attend college after maybe a tour of duty. What I'm looking for is study materials that would effectively prepare me for the math portion of the ASVAB, but also would prepare me for college math. There are is software from Bagatrix that cover a variety of different math topics. Im trying to figure out which is the one I need.

In advance, i appreciate any responses.

Here's a question: would College Algebra essentially be a conglamorate of HS Algebra I and II? If I were to take College Algebra, would i also be as profficient as someone who only took HS Algebra I and II?

I have completed ALG I, ALG II, GEO, and was in Pre-Cal before i dropped out of high school, so i am already mostly along in math. Right now, I am actually preparing to take the ASVAB test to join the military, with plans to attend college after maybe a tour of duty. What I'm looking for is study materials that would effectively prepare me for the math portion of the ASVAB, but also would prepare me for college math. There are is software from Bagatrix that cover a variety of different math topics. Im trying to figure out which is the one I need.

In advance, i appreciate any responses.

There's a program called ALEKS that might help. http://www.aleks.com/
It helped me study enough to skip pre-calculus completely.

There's a program called ALEKS that might help. http://www.aleks.com/
It helped me study enough to skip pre-calculus completely.

Also, ALEKS has a few of the classes evaluated for college credit- so once you complete 70% on an assessment (not the course, an ASSESSMENT) you can follow the instructions on how to get the credit onto an ACE transcript. I'm 100% sure the military takes ACE credit, and many (most) colleges do too.

Good luck with that...it will still be stellar people who took cal applying there. Cover all your bases.

I took Algebra II in my freshman year, and that teacher told me that his students at the local university do just about the same things we do.

As for me, I have taken THREE years of Calculus, and I am sick and tired of it!!! I am PRAYING that I can take just Statisitics in college and be done with (pure) mathmatics FOREVER! :xf:

Seems like you went a bit overkill on the arithmetic for being Pre-Vet. One semester of Calculus I should be adequate.

If you don't learn the foundations of math, general chemistry and physics will be hard.

Trignometry is marginally useful in physics and useless everywhere else.

Algebra is... very easy and you really should understand it.

Calculus is barely used in the med school curriculum or chemistry, but has some uses in physics.

Statistics is very important to know as a scientist and medical professional.