high school AP test credits for optometry school requirements

fusion5ny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i noticed that pretty much all the optometry schools require 1 semester of calculus...my dilemma is that since i took AP calculus in high school and did well on the AP exam, my calculus requirement was waived in college and i didn't take it...so when i send my application in to optometry school is there a way for the schools to see that? or was i supposed to take calculus AGAIN in college, which defeats the purpose of an AP exam....can someone who has experience with this type of issue please explain; i'm surprised nobody has brought it up before...thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you should saved your time and my time from making that reply...unless you are assuming i'm an idiot

I believe that some schools (for example, SUNY) will require an official score report from Collegeboard verifying your score on the AP test. There's no need to retake classes if you scored a 4 or 5, not so sure about a 3. But the best thing is definitely to contact the admissions yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I was able to use my English AP credit with no problems. There is a way to enter it in OptomCAS. You just need to contact each school directly to make sure they will accept it!

thanks lynx....mxbookwork did u have to send in your report from college board to optomcas or the schools u applied to? or did they just take your word for it....also it sounds like i will definitely have to contact each school...from your experiences, what would be the best method...calling and hoping trusting the person who picks up the phone to have the right information or emailing them?

straight from the OptomCAS website:

"Q: How do I report Advanced Placement (AP) credits?
A: Please enter your AP credits under the first semester attended at the post-secondary institution where the AP credit was awarded. You will enter the test name and subject in the course title and prefix fields and the grade will be CR for credit. Please be sure to add the correct number of credit hours for the AP exam and add the Special Classification “Advanced Placement.” OptomCAS does not require a copy of the AP test score report."

I hope this helps lol and good luck with everything

thanks lynx....mxbookwork did u have to send in your report from college board to optomcas or the schools u applied to? or did they just take your word for it....also it sounds like i will definitely have to contact each school...from your experiences, what would be the best method...calling and hoping trusting the person who picks up the phone to have the right information or emailing them?

Well you have to send in a transcript from your college to optomcas. That transcript will have the AP credit on there. For example, in my case I was give credit for an english class as if I took it credit/no credit. So, if a school requires you to have the class for a grade, you're probably screwed. I took 2 quarters of calculus in college and it still wasn't enough for one school - they wanted me to retake a slightly different series!!! *eye roll* But anyway, I lucked out because it was english; for calculus, it might be tougher to get approval.

ok so basically...enter the info on optomCAS...and then call each school that i am applying to and ask them if they will accept the AP credits...thanks

basically, the only school you have to send AP scores to is the one you are going to attend. they ask for scores after you are accepted

just wondering if anyone has successfully had AP calculus credits accepted at a school instead of taking the class in college