High school college credit <---- DIE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterMood

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so here's the deal, in my senior year of high school i took college credit (not AP) for the year long spanish course that i took. At the time i didn't realize taht my gpa woul dbe publicized (I got a B in the class), and I'm pissed off because that B (8 credits/year) kinda brings down my gpa from the start. I mean if i got an A in two semesters that still brings my gpa up to a B+ which is lame and pisses me off. Now i have two options. Either i can tell my college that ih ave this credit and 1) have more creidts to sign up earlier for classes 2) be sure that i have nothign to "hide" OR i can try to hide this credit by never showing that i took it by tthe time i apply for med. school.

The problem i have is more practical than ethical. I think the whole thing where college courses in high school are considered as part of the gpa is complete BULLsh*t.

If i don't report this B (two semesters), then it could looker better without it on my transcript. But what if a med. school found out 1) how much trouble would i get into 2) how likely would they fin dout 3) would it be serious grounds for dismissal 4) if they found out could i be like oh i didn't know that my grade during college counted, I'm so sorry! :confused: Obviously, this argument cannot be used when a form SPECIFICALLY says that you need to show all course work in colleges during high school.

The problem si that this course i toko wasn't part of "college" but of high school, however it was worth college credit.

Members don't see this ad.

um, i'm not completely sure but i'm pretty sure high school grades do not go into your AMCAS GPA, you just get credit for the classes. someone correct me if i'm wrong. if i'm not, you're golden so chill.
-mota

If they show up on a transcript at any uni or college you have to put them down. It sucks but it is the system. I wish I would have known in HS.

Members don't see this ad :)
dude - put this in perspective... the fact that a single B is bringing DOWN your GPA suggests that your GPA can't be all that bad - so just chill out.

I got a B for a year long spanish course in my high school class and i paid 100 dollars to get SUNY Albany credit for the class (8 credits). My high school teacher told us that we wouldn't get a grade for it, and it would only be credit (she's stupid). I go to a different university right now hwoever this university has no knowledge of this SUNY credit (not on records).

The only way my university could fin dout if i had this credit was if they checked SUNY Albany.

This also brings the point that if i got admitted into a med. school (i.e. early assurance next year or normal acceptance), i "accidentally" didn't know i had to submit my "college" (though it was high school class not technicalyl in a college) grades to the med. school, would it be ground for rejection. The only way I could use this argument was if the application was explicit for college courses during high school

Hermit MMood said:
Okay so here's the deal, in my senior year of high school i took college credit (not AP) for the year long spanish course that i took. At the time i didn't realize taht my gpa woul dbe publicized (I got a B in the class), and I'm pissed off because that B (8 credits/year) kinda brings down my gpa from the start. I mean if i got an A in two semesters that still brings my gpa up to a B+ which is lame and pisses me off. Now i have two options. Either i can tell my college that ih ave this credit and 1) have more creidts to sign up earlier for classes 2) be sure that i have nothign to "hide" OR i can try to hide this credit by never showing that i took it by tthe time i apply for med. school.

The problem i have is more practical than ethical. I think the whole thing where college courses in high school are considered as part of the gpa is complete BULLsh*t.

If i don't report this B (two semesters), then it could looker better without it on my transcript. But what if a med. school found out 1) how much trouble would i get into 2) how likely would they fin dout 3) would it be serious grounds for dismissal 4) if they found out could i be like oh i didn't know that my grade during college counted, I'm so sorry! :confused: Obviously, this argument cannot be used when a form SPECIFICALLY says that you need to show all course work in colleges during high school.

The problem si that this course i toko wasn't part of "college" but of high school, however it was worth college credit.

If you got college credit for it you have to report it. At least you had a B. I messed around in my last year of high school and got two grades a lot worst than that. Since it was for college credit I had to report it. This really affected my AMCAS gpa, bringing it down almost 0.2 points.

Flopotomist said:
dude - put this in perspective... the fact that a single B is bringing DOWN your GPA suggests that your GPA can't be all that bad - so just chill out.

haha flop you've become way more chill since you got in. keep it up.
-mota

Hermit MMood said:
I got a B for a year long spanish course in my high school class and i paid 100 dollars to get SUNY Albany credit for the class (8 credits). My high school teacher told us that we wouldn't get a grade for it, and it would only be credit (she's stupid). I go to a different university right now hwoever this university has no knowledge of this SUNY credit (not on records).

The only way my university could fin dout if i had this credit was if they checked SUNY Albany.

This also brings the point that if i got admitted into a med. school (i.e. early assurance next year or normal acceptance), i "accidentally" didn't know i had to submit my "college" (though it was high school class not technicalyl in a college) grades to the med. school, would it be ground for rejection. The only way I could use this argument was if the application was explicit for college courses during high school
I wouldn't risk it - AMCAS is pretty clear that you must report anything like this, and failure to do so is a very bad thing. One B isn't going to hurt you... seriously, we all have multiple B's (some of us even have C's, and in fact, i have a D and an F on my transcript and still got in).

ahhh, very well, SUNY Albany your ****ty credit will be sent to my university. That's another 100 dollars to transfer those credits dammti!

Hermit MMood said:
ahhh, very well, SUNY Albany your ****ty credit will be sent to my university. That's another 100 dollars to transfer those credits dammti!
don't bother sending them to your university... who cares. (and why $100?) unless you need the credits to graduate. Just send them directly to AMCAS.

chill out, you're in high school, go have fun and get busted by the cops like a normal kid.

badlydrawnvik said:
chill out, you're in high school, go have fun and get busted by the cops like a normal kid.

nah, he's not in high school any more. read more carefully.
-mota

Members don't see this ad :)
DaMota said:
nah, he's not in high school any more. read more carefully.
-mota

i guess that shows you a lot about my attention span.

Why don't you just pretend you don't remember ever taking that class? Actually, you are probably just imagining this so-called "Spanish" class. Its not like there is a registry that a med school can search your name and find out if you took classes and stuff.

Yeah high school i don't remember what happened then. Senior year was a blur, i experimented, banged chicks without rubber, but completely don't remember taking that class.

How would med schools find out about the class if it's not on your (main) college transcript? I don't understand.

dimebag darrell said:
How would med schools find out about the class if it's not on your (main) college transcript? I don't understand.

*shrug* who knows HOW they find out.. the problem is 1. If they do find out, and 2. you sign an oath attesting to the truthfulness of your primary app - integrity should mean something to aspiring MDs.

i took college credit (math) while i was in middle school...and that got on my high school transcript, and somehow it's on my college transcript...
so, yah, i had to order a transcript for AMCAS...
i think schools might find out via your ssn, or something like that
so, just be careful

Hermit MMood said:

$100? I know SUNY wouldn't charge that for a transcript. If your current school charges you $100 to transfer in previous coursework then something is wrong...

BrettBatchelor said:
If they show up on a transcript at any uni or college you have to put them down. It sucks but it is the system. I wish I would have known in HS.

Yea, this is true. I have the same thing, except 37 credits worth!! So it hurts my GPA, however it is your senior year. Do you think they will put that much emphasis on it?

I'm sorry folks but if you choose to take college classes for college credit with college course requirements why shouldn't the course and the grade be counted as a college class?

If one was too immature to realize that college courses are not high school courses when they were younger than it is something that could be brought up in the PS.

If you get college credit for the high school course, its on your transcript. You must send in a transcript to any college you have earned credit to AMCAS (I even had to send in a transcript for a summer course I took at the local college even though the credit appeared on my actual university transcript as well). So, the med schools will see it.

Its also just a B. The B won't ruin your chances by any means - and it sounds like your GPA is awesome anyway. Plus, the B won't be part of your science GPA AND it will show you are more well-rounded by taking interest in a foreign language. Buena suerte!

USArmyDoc said:
Yea, this is true. I have the same thing, except 37 credits worth!! So it hurts my GPA, however it is your senior year. Do you think they will put that much emphasis on it?
Some things to think about:

1) You do not have to apply AP credits to your college transcript. You have to get your institution to recognize the credits, apply them to your degree, and add them to your transcript. So if you got cruddy grades in your AP classes, then don't have your college use them. However, you can't both get the credit (and graduate early) while simultaneously not reporting the grades. Also, some schools convert AP scores into pass/fail, which won't affect your gpa. Check with your institution's policies before proceeding.

2) If your HS had a deal with a local college to provide college credit for coursework accomplished at the HS, then you have earned credit through a university/college, and this MUST be reported to AMCAS, (and probably your undergraduate school as well).

3) So you had some bad grades *before* you went to college. SO WHAT. Do well with the rest of your college coursework, and the adcom will see that you developed into a good student. *My* freshman gpa was 2.9 (and included an F) the next four years it was 3.8-4.0. My grades were not even discussed as an issue in my interviews. Adcoms focus most on a) the most recent 3-4 semesters of your coursework b) your BCP science gpa, c) anomalies & negative patterns in your grades. (Someone who Ws out of one or two classes each term, but has a 3.8 inspires less confidence than someone who has a 3.7 and doesn't make a habit of biting off more than he can chew, or dropping out of classes he doesn't like). The chances are extremely good that the 37 hours you earned in HS are the LEAST important part of your med school application.

Good luck!

odrade1 said:

1) You do not have to apply AP credits to your college transcript. You have to get your institution to recognize the credits, apply them to your degree, and add them to your transcript. So if you got cruddy grades in your AP classes, then don't have your college use them. However, you can't both get the credit (and graduate early) while simultaneously not reporting the grades. Also, some schools convert AP scores into pass/fail, which won't affect your gpa. Check with your institution's policies before proceeding.

2) If your HS had a deal with a local college to provide college credit for coursework accomplished at the HS, then you have earned credit through a university/college, and this MUST be reported to AMCAS, (and probably your undergraduate school as well).

3) So you had some bad grades *before* you went to college. SO WHAT. Do well with the rest of your college coursework, and the adcom will see that you developed into a good student. *My* freshman gpa was 2.9 (and included an F) the next four years it was 3.8-4.0. My grades were not even discussed as an issue in my interviews. Adcoms focus most on a) the most recent 3-4 semesters of your coursework b) your BCP science gpa, c) anomalies & negative patterns in your grades. (Someone who Ws out of one or two classes each term, but has a 3.8 inspires less confidence than someone who has a 3.7 and doesn't make a habit of biting off more than he can chew, or dropping out of classes he doesn't like). The chances are extremely good that the 37 hours you earned in HS are the LEAST important part of your med school application.

Good luck!

Yeah, as long as you continue to do well in college, it won't matter much.

odrade1 said:

Good luck!

Hi

I did not know if this is an appropriate place to post this but it seemed like the closest topic to my own concern. I came into my public undergrad. with all of my science prereqs out of the way (except for organic) with no idea med. schools wanted physics chem and bio completed after high school. I did this through AP credits. Since I am a bio major I don't think I have anything to worry about there. I have also taken an intro. biochem course. I don't want to take upper level courses in phys. or chem because I would have to work for a year to make enough to go to school. Does this mean I am disqualified from applying to med schools or does it just look bad? Thanks in advance. :)

tomias said:
Hi

I did not know if this is an appropriate place to post this but it seemed like the closest topic to my own concern. I came into my public undergrad. with all of my science prereqs out of the way (except for organic) with no idea med. schools wanted physics chem and bio completed after high school. I did this through AP credits. Since I am a bio major I don't think I have anything to worry about there. I have also taken an intro. biochem course. I don't want to take upper level courses in phys. or chem because I would have to work for a year to make enough to go to school. Does this mean I am disqualified from applying to med schools or does it just look bad? Thanks in advance. :)
1) Do all medschools require that your pre-med core (bio,orgo, phys,genchem) be completed post-HS? I didn't know this. But then, I don't know everything...
2) If they do require those classes be completed post-HS, then to get into med school you will have to take those classes (or possibly CLEP out of them?). I CLEPed out of my english requirements (which were on the list of the "required" coursework for med school). It saved me 4 classes (12 semester hours) worth of paper writing, and it still counted for my medical school application.
3) If they allow the AP stuff to count, I don't think it will look bad as long as you have good grades in any other science classes that you take, and your MCAT score is good. (BTW, your MCAT score would be helped out by taking those core science classes over, then immediately taking the MCAT).

Sorry about your situation. AP credit seems to have messed up the plans of others on this site as well...

Each school has its own guidelines regarding AP credits. I don't think there are that many that refuse to accept AP credits. Your best bet, however, is to buy the MSAR to learn specific details about the schools that interest you.

Also, as always, you can search the SDN forums for information, too! :)

Pertinent Thread regarding AP credits!

Hermit MMood said:

Ignorance is not an excuse. If you claim you didn't know, I don't think med schools will have any sympathy. The rules are laid out for you and you have to sign saying your application is accurate (and it's VERY clear that you must send transcripts for ALL college credit received). If you don't report it, you risk starting school, paying tuition, and getting kicked out. It probably doesn't happen often, but has happened. Med schools don't like lying.

The class will count in your AMCAS GPA, but it shouldn't count in your undergrad GPA at your school (you could still graduate summa cum laude with no problem). Transfer credit is not usually counted in your graduating GPA when it comes to graduation honors.

Why shouldn't college credit taken in high school count in your GPA? Why would you take college credit if you didn't want it counted toward college (and thus, on your transcripts)? It sucks if you weren't thinking about your GPA for med school, but I doubt you would complain if you got an A and it raised your AMCAS GPA. You can't have it both ways. It either counts towards college graduation and your AMCAS GPA or it counts for neither (and wouldn't be college credit). Unfortunately, your high school should have made it more clear that college credit does, in fact, really count. You might consider calling them and pointing that out so future students from your school will not have the same problem.

BrettBatchelor said:

it worked for me...i got A's in high school when I went to summer classes at UCR and then B's when I actually went to college. I wish I went to UCR for undergrad :(

i'm in the same boat as you OP.

i racked up i think 5 B's through a community college while in high school...i thought it was all bs and didn't really care about academics or high school....little did i know it would come back to bite me in the butt

my amcas gpa is actually quite lower than my university gpa. sucks