High School Drama in Med School?

Started by Peach56
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
always just tried to stay in my little corner of the library and not harm anyone.

I overheard people "feeling sorry for me" for doing that today and it's only the 3rd week. Listen people if you saw me three times, you were also there three times. Can't wait for the rest. :laugh:
 
I overheard people "feeling sorry for me" for doing that today and it's only the 3rd week. Listen people if you saw me three times, you were also there three times. Can't wait for the rest. :laugh:

Still a little irked about this -- someone knocked me in our anonymous peer "professionalism" audit for not hanging around enough. 😡 So even keeping to yourself doesn't protect you from the catty attitudes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So far, it is a bit high-schoolish; but I don't mind it so much. Even with a large class, everyone knows your business. And of course, there are the cliques - the sorority girls, the frat boys, the preppies, the loners, etc...

I've found my niche with a good group of people who aren't that "cliquish" at-all. Med school is what you make of it. And you can make some REALLY amazing friends there, too. I feel very lucky.
 
Good grief...so they have ya'll sort of "rate/grade" each other on professionalism at different times?

Yeah, we had to rate our dissection partners at the end of fall semester for professionalism and our module mates (small group we're divided up into for pbl, etc.) at the end of the year. I thought it was pretty lame, too.
 
I've heard from some people that there's plenty of drama in my class, but I'm certainly not aware of it. I know of some people who are dating within the class, but I only figure it out when I see them walking down the hall holding hands or when their relationship status shows up on my Facebook mini-feed. One girl was complaining to me about the drama she gets involved in, but I certainly don't get any of it. I'm a bit different though in that I'm married and from here, so most of my friends aren't from med school, and I'm not looking for ladies.
 
There's plenty of drama in mine- especially along fraternity/sorority lines. Since I didn't do any of those (Alpha Phi Omega, and there's only three of us in the class), I stand on the sidelines. I don't drink, so the after-exam parties get ignored, and I'm quite happily married, so the entire dating scene means as much to me as football to a member of Fight Club (that's a good thing!).
 
People are always talking about the social drama in medical school as though you can't avoid being affected by it somehow. Look, who cares about your classmates? Where is it written that you must be friends with them and socialize with them? I don't really like any of my classmates very much, and outside of our mandatory small group sessions, I avoid them as much as possible. I study by myself. I overhear them planning their weekend parties and bar-crawls, but get this: I just don't go. I know of one intra-class couple and there may be more, but while I think it's dumb, it doesn't affect me at all. My life doesn't revolve around these people, and yours doesn't have to either.
 
wow this is pretty cool. so which med schools have a lot of drama? i wanna live grey's anatomy for real!
 
wow this is pretty cool. so which med schools have a lot of drama? i wanna live grey's anatomy for real!

sadly drama =/= sex.

my favorites are the girls who show up to cadaver lab on a tuesday morning with enough makeup on for a night of clubbing, combine that with the scrubs that are tight enough to show off their figures, and you really start to believe that "clueless" was actually a documentary.
 
someone knocked me in our anonymous peer "professionalism" audit for not hanging around enough. 😡 So even keeping to yourself doesn't protect you from the catty attitudes.
I am getting knocked to all hell about this. I don't know how to protect myself anymore, it's becoming a learned helplessness. College wasn't this way--it is definitely more reminiscent of high school, and I hate it.
 
Still a little irked about this -- someone knocked me in our anonymous peer "professionalism" audit for not hanging around enough. 😡 So even keeping to yourself doesn't protect you from the catty attitudes.


Yikes! I kept to myself a lot in HS and college outside of academic and sports groups. Reading this thread I imagined this is how I would be in med school too.

Now I gotta make sure I'm not keeping too much to myself! 😱
 
in germany med school is kind of like high school ... and the gossip that comes with it. it's like one big happy family here, mostly everyone's done someone else in our group, some have been with multiple people from our group, that's just kind of sad. On the other hand they act like little mini-adults, it's hard to explain. The girls dress up for class and wear pearls and stuff like christian dior shoes and D&G belts. no this is not a joke .. i wish it were.
 
in germany med school is kind of like high school ... and the gossip that comes with it. it's like one big happy family here, mostly everyone's done someone else in our group, some have been with multiple people from our group, that's just kind of sad. On the other hand they act like little mini-adults, it's hard to explain. The girls dress up for class and wear pearls and stuff like christian dior shoes and D&G belts. no this is not a joke .. i wish it were.

omg, which school is this?
 
sadly drama =/= sex.

my favorites are the girls who show up to cadaver lab on a tuesday morning with enough makeup on for a night of clubbing, combine that with the scrubs that are tight enough to show off their figures, and you really start to believe that "clueless" was actually a documentary.

Dude, this is the best part.

As ridiculous as it sounds, medical school is even more clique-ish than high school for me. I figured we'd all be cool with each other going in, but that's just not the case most of the time. Sadly, the jock/ditz/sorority girl/nerd stereotypes still exist and are perpetuated and convoluted down the grapevine even better.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We have a lot of gossiping in my year too. Only about half of it seems to be true though, some of it is so obviously made up but it is still quite entertaining. Unfortunately, though I don't really gossip much myself there is quite a bit of gossiping about me from what I have been told.
 
Don't be so obvious about it and then NOT ask her out ... 😕

I guess drama occurs when you put together anywhere between 100-200 socially ******ed introverts who also happen to get REALLY bored when not studying... :laugh:

I personally never create drama, nor am ever a part of it. Being discreet is key.

In highschool, where I went to highschool anyways, socially ******ed introverts were the really nerdiest of the nerdiest and the ones who had drama not the popular kids. But in college I don't think its those kinds who are always the drama kings and queens. Sometimes even the most social people get in drama. Its just more one personality not mixing with another.
 
Dude, this is the best part.

As ridiculous as it sounds, medical school is even more clique-ish than high school for me. I figured we'd all be cool with each other going in, but that's just not the case most of the time. Sadly, the jock/ditz/sorority girl/nerd stereotypes still exist and are perpetuated and convoluted down the grapevine even better.

You know I'm in grad school right now and I think to a certain extent the clique thing is worse the older you grow. I went to a really diversified highschool so though there were the different kinds of cliques, everyone was pretty much nice to everyone. I got along well though never made close friends with my classmates in highschool. I still respect a lot of them great deal more then I do certain grad students. I think certain grad students and med students have too much insecurity and that's why they act so childish.
 
You know I'm in grad school right now and I think to a certain extent the clique thing is worse the older you grow. I went to a really diversified highschool so though there were the different kinds of cliques, everyone was pretty much nice to everyone. I got along well though never made close friends with my classmates in highschool. I still respect a lot of them great deal more then I do certain grad students. I think certain grad students and med students have too much insecurity and that's why they act so childish.

So true, but I don't think as we get older we get more insecure. We just have a lot less life experiences in common with people, and it's more important to have things in common as we try find a mate. Plus things are less popularity/activity driven and all meeting of new people is focused on meeting the opposite sex. In my experience people are also generally more burned... there are many, many crude and self-absorbed people out there and you can never really tell who they are until they bite you.
 
You know I'm in grad school right now and I think to a certain extent the clique thing is worse the older you grow. I went to a really diversified highschool so though there were the different kinds of cliques, everyone was pretty much nice to everyone. I got along well though never made close friends with my classmates in highschool. I still respect a lot of them great deal more then I do certain grad students. I think certain grad students and med students have too much insecurity and that's why they act so childish.

Was your graduate program in a discipline that people often use as a stepping stone to medicine (like biology, etc)? I'm just curious as to why your peers are like that. I did my master's degree in public health (which some people may consider a 'stepping stone' program), but in my class there were few who were interested in med school...most were purely interested in public health. I thought my grad school friends were incredibly laid-back and that the environment was far less competitive and easygoing as compared to undergraduate... even my MPH friends who were thinking of med school in the future were really cool too. So based on my personal experience, I'm surprised... as I assumed that grad students were a whole lot more laid back.
 
Was your graduate program in a discipline that people often use as a stepping stone to medicine (like biology, etc)? I'm just curious as to why your peers are like that. I did my master's degree in public health (which some people may consider a 'stepping stone' program), but in my class there were few who were interested in med school...most were purely interested in public health. I thought my grad school friends were incredibly laid-back and that the environment was far less competitive and easygoing as compared to undergraduate... even my MPH friends who were thinking of med school in the future were really cool too. So based on my personal experience, I'm surprised... as I assumed that grad students were a whole lot more laid back.

It is not an official SMP but yeah 98% or so are people who do this to get into med school. Its through the COM at USF and is a 1 year program.

Oh one more thing, MPH students are as you described your MPH stdents to be. most of the MPH students I know are not wanting to do medicine. My premed friends who did an MPH for a year said things that were similar to your experience but I dont' think you'll find that in a 1 year SMP or other 1 year program meant for people trying to get in med school.
 
It is not an official SMP but yeah 98% or so are people who do this to get into med school. Its through the COM at USF and is a 1 year program.

Oh one more thing, MPH students are as you described your MPH stdents to be. most of the MPH students I know are not wanting to do medicine. My premed friends who did an MPH for a year said things that were similar to your experience but I dont' think you'll find that in a 1 year SMP or other 1 year program meant for people trying to get in med school.

That might explain your situation to some degree. When I was an undergrad, I was pre-med.... but my major was in public health at that time as well. However, I tried to stay away from most of the other pre-meders as I couldn't deal with their uptight and backstabbing ways (not everyone, but a lot of people I knew fell into this category). Nearly all my undergrad friends were public health students, as I really liked them... even the public health pre-med students were pretty decent. But when I would take upper level science classes outside my major, like molecular biology etc-- I thought my classmates were kinda scary. (I saw many of them thrilled when fellow classmates did poorly on exams, and would do things like make intentional mistakes on notes when asked classmates asked to borrow their notes.) I know I'm generalizing here, but I personally found the students majoring in the biological sciences highly cutthroat. I think when people get into med school, they generally tend to be a bit nicer... many of my friends in med school are quite decent folks. I think it's just worse during those pre-med years. And since pretty much everyone in your program is competing to get into med school, I guess you are in the same dynamic (even though they are grad students). I'm just guessing here, but perhaps your classmates are even more strung-out because most of them have actually taken the trouble of doing a masters as a stepping stone into medicine, so maybe they are even more cutthroat than the biology pre-meds I knew.

Sorry about that. Just get through your program somehow, and hopefully your friends in med school will be a lot more supportive (hopefully they will have resolved their issues by then).
 
That might explain your situation to some degree. When I was an undergrad, I was pre-med.... but my major was in public health at that time as well. However, I tried to stay away from most of the other pre-meders as I couldn't deal with their uptight and backstabbing ways (not everyone, but a lot of people I knew fell into this category). Nearly all my undergrad friends were public health students, as I really liked them... even the public health pre-med students were pretty decent. But when I would take upper level science classes outside my major, like molecular biology etc-- I thought my classmates were kinda scary. (I saw many of them thrilled when fellow classmates did poorly on exams, and would do things like make intentional mistakes on notes when asked classmates asked to borrow their notes.) I know I'm generalizing here, but I personally found the students majoring in the biological sciences highly cutthroat. I think when people get into med school, they generally tend to be a bit nicer... many of my friends in med school are quite decent folks. I think it's just worse during those pre-med years. And since pretty much everyone in your program is competing to get into med school, I guess you are in the same dynamic (even though they are grad students). I'm just guessing here, but perhaps your classmates are even more strung-out because most of them have actually taken the trouble of doing a masters as a stepping stone into medicine, so maybe they are even more cutthroat than the biology pre-meds I knew.

Sorry about that. Just get through your program somehow, and hopefully your friends in med school will be a lot more supportive (hopefully they will have resolved their issues by then).

some of them are nicer in med school but from what I can see with the USF med students across 3 different graduating classes, there can be some people who are even more cut throat then in undergrad in med school. I've heard several several stories over the years from med student friends about their classmates. Some are friendlier then premeds, some are typically how they were in ugrad and selfish and immature.
 
But when I would take upper level science classes outside my major, like molecular biology etc-- I thought my classmates were kinda scary. (I saw many of them thrilled when fellow classmates did poorly on exams, and would do things like make intentional mistakes on notes when asked classmates asked to borrow their notes.) I know I'm generalizing here, but I personally found the students majoring in the biological sciences highly cutthroat.

Thank God I grew up in Oklahoma and stayed here for medical school. People are just not like that here. I had heard rumors about med students being highly competitive and trying to screw over classmates, but since I'm at our state school & 90% of us are Okies... it isn't like that at all. It reminds me that I should seriously think about the type of people that live in the rest of the world before I ever consider practicing medicine outside of OK. Also - our nurses are nice here, too, which I hear is atypical elsewhere.

We do have our share of drama, and we can be high schoolish / cliquish, which was the topic of discussion. I just also think that for the most part, everyone is friendly with everyone else.
 
sometimes i wish my med school class was a bit older - like married, engaged, with kids, etc. maybe this would make me feel less like i was in high school again? is this true?
 
sometimes i wish my med school class was a bit older - like married, engaged, with kids, etc. maybe this would make me feel less like i was in high school again? is this true?
You are not the only one wishing this!🙁
 
sometimes i wish my med school class was a bit older - like married, engaged, with kids, etc. maybe this would make me feel less like i was in high school again? is this true?

Not really. It doesn't make that much difference. There are quite a few folks who are a bit older in my class and it still has that feel. I think it's just how medical school is. Imagine what it is like for people like me, who graduated HS close to 20 years ago. Many of my classmates weren't even ideas when I started HS. Yeah, there is a bit of a generation gap there...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with spicedmanna... there is something about med school that tends to make people think they are in high school all over again. My theory is that being with the same people day after day and the constant pressure maked certain people regress.
 
o snap. med school is gonna be better than i thought!

globes_fastTimes.jpg


ferrris3.jpg


41007_ab.jpg


ali_larter_varsity_blues.jpg
 
Not really. It doesn't make that much difference. There are quite a few folks who are a bit older in my class and it still has that feel. I think it's just how medical school is. Imagine what it is like for people like me, who graduated HS close to 20 years ago. Many of my classmates weren't even ideas when I started HS. Yeah, there is a bit of a generation gap there...
It must vary a lot by medical school. I don't get the high school vibe at ours. It may be much more a relfection of a particular class than med school in general.