You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
High School Drama in Med School?
Started by Peach56
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'd be happy if all we had was high school drama. Feels more like junior high, on a good day.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it depends how much you involve yourself socially at your school. If you are going to a new city and don't have a significant other/children tagging along your classmates will be your social life . . . there's just not a ton of time to go out and meet other people so in that way it is alot like high school. You spend your whole day with the same people in classes and studying and socializing so it is alot like high school in that way . . at least for me in college I had tons of friends who weren't in my classes with me all the time so there was a separation of my social life from my classes and studying which meant less time for drama to generate with my classmates.
I think it depends how much you involve yourself socially at your school. If you are going to a new city and don't have a significant other/children tagging along your classmates will be your social life . . . there's just not a ton of time to go out and meet other people so in that way it is alot like high school. You spend your whole day with the same people in classes and studying and socializing so it is alot like high school in that way . . at least for me in college I had tons of friends who weren't in my classes with me all the time so there was a separation of my social life from my classes and studying which meant less time for drama to generate with my classmates.
So as a married person I can just stroll in and be a passive observer with the young and the restless theme song on continuous loop in my head?

N
njbmd
A friend of mine told me to expect a lot of the typical high school drama while in med school, any thoughts? Please do share
Definitely not true at my medical school. We all had our own business to take care of and our own race to run. In the end, we jelled as a class, enjoyed getting to know each other and we have each other's "back". This had carried over into residency and practice too. I have a tremendous amount of respect for my classmates now colleagues. If anything else is going on, it is because you are not getting the job done.
Not that much "drama" going on in my class, although I have heard of other years where the drama was pretty intense. I guess it has to do with putting a pretty small group of people with different personalities in what is basically a pretty closed environment for 4 years. Remember, compared to undergrad, med school limits on your social life much more. When you are basically looking at the same faces for so long "drama" tends to happen.
So as a married person I can just stroll in and be a passive observer with the young and the restless theme song on continuous loop in my head?![]()

But watch out, you'll find yourself caught up in the drama as well, sometimes. I swear my class (known in our school for being very "social") was more like middle school on some days.
To those not married or otherwise committed:
1 major way to avoid the drama, don't date your classmates! If you must date someone in your class, don't talk about him/her with anyone else. It's such fodder for the rumormill.
So as a married person I can just stroll in and be a passive observer with the young and the restless theme song on continuous loop in my head?![]()
Lol, I'm married and it definitely changes how involved I am with classmates. I don't study at school because I want to be home with my husband for my breaks which means I miss out on alot of the bonding time and drama and I socialize with friends my husband has made in addition to medschool friends so I miss out there too. I still go out to parties etc but some of the married folk don't.
Myself, I was the center of drama when I was hitting on a girl in my class. It all went well, almost too well until she just started to ignore me. So sure it created rumors ect.
So yes, drama there is.
So yes, drama there is.
Myself, I was the center of drama when I was hitting on a girl in my class. It all went well, almost too well until she just started to ignore me. So sure it created rumors ect.
So yes, drama there is.
Don't be so obvious about it and then NOT ask her out ... 😕
I guess drama occurs when you put together anywhere between 100-200 socially ******ed introverts who also happen to get REALLY bored when not studying...

I personally never create drama, nor am ever a part of it. Being discreet is key.
for me, med school literally will be high school all over again. i just got the preliminary class roster (w/o waitlist acceptances) and 10% of the class graduated from my high school w/in a year of me...and another 10% went to undergrad with me
R
rmorriso
for me, med school literally will be high school all over again. i just got the preliminary class roster (w/o waitlist acceptances) and 10% of the class graduated from my high school w/in a year of me...and another 10% went to undergrad with me
Wow... smart high school class. I'm only 1 of 2 in my class to make it to med school. Most of my classmates either ended up strippers, college drop outs, or in jail. And this was from an upper middle class suburb HS.
Hope the med school class doesn't turn out the same 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know about other classes, but ours is full of drama. Who is dating who, who failed this test, who was seen with whom at the movies...it's lame..but when you surround yourself with a bunch of socially repressed nerds who study for 12 hours a day you are bound to see some regression going on.
Wow... smart high school class. I'm only 1 of 2 in my class to make it to med school. Most of my classmates either ended up strippers, college drop outs, or in jail. And this was from an upper middle class suburb HS.
Hope the med school class doesn't turn out the same 🙂
Yea, sorta. My hs class was just really polarized. Everyone was either very smart, or very stupid, with not much in between. I'm thinking this happening is definitely a fluke.
Grey's Anatomy said it best: "Its like high school with scalpels."
Well great... I hated high school 🙁
Our M1 psych lecturer referred to the school as MCW-High.
There's LOTS of high school like drama in my class. I've been the object of rumors, which if people who knew me heard them would find ridiculous, that was good. Otherwise, there's always gossip flying around. I always just tried to stay in my little corner of the library and not harm anyone.
There's LOTS of high school like drama in my class. I've been the object of rumors, which if people who knew me heard them would find ridiculous, that was good. Otherwise, there's always gossip flying around. I always just tried to stay in my little corner of the library and not harm anyone.
Look, there is drama and gossip going on in all med schools. I think it is a natural reaction to the stress and studying. People need a release and they find it in boozin and sex. All the boozin and sex creates drama and gossip. It's very simple really...
Also, most kids in med school worked so hard to get there that they forgot to have fun in undergrad. Many kids in my class never partied or went out to the bars in college so they deal with social situations (post-finals parties, for instance) in a very awkward way which tends to generate high school-like drama. If you have seen this happen, you know exactly what I am talking about.
Also, most kids in med school worked so hard to get there that they forgot to have fun in undergrad. Many kids in my class never partied or went out to the bars in college so they deal with social situations (post-finals parties, for instance) in a very awkward way which tends to generate high school-like drama. If you have seen this happen, you know exactly what I am talking about.
C
Critical Mass
I'd be happy if all we had was high school drama. Feels more like junior high, on a good day.
👍 Trudat.
Yes. It's probably worse than high school, to be honest. My med school class is about 1/4 the size of my high school class, so everyone knows way too much about each other. There are also a few people who are so intense about everything that they naturally cause a lot of drama (some people love them, others cannot stand them), and some people who just rub others the wrong way (don't know when to stop, kiss way too much ass, offend people on accident or on purpose). There are definitely a few people in my class that I'd hate to have on wards with me 🙄
It's more gossipy. Word gets around about various things. There's dating and hooking up. Early in the year I kind of liked it...it reminded me of high school. Now I'm sick of my classmates and kinda miss college where I interacted with a larger number of ppl with more variety.
C
Critical Mass
Now I'm sick of my classmates and kinda miss college where I interacted with a larger number of ppl with more variety.
Gotta agree here.
So as a married person I can just stroll in and be a passive observer with the young and the restless theme song on continuous loop in my head?![]()
Mostly. 🙂 You'll get to avoid all the romantic drama, but you might get sucked into some other BS. I got hit by some SDN generated drama, which was oh so fun. 🙄
rumors & gossip spread like jelly on a toast.
C
Critical Mass
So as a married person I can just stroll in and be a passive observer with the young and the restless theme song on continuous loop in my head?![]()
Depends. If you are less than faithful, then the drama that you can cause is more than that of a single person.
(itching to tell you a story that would sound ridiculous even on Desperate Housewives)
(itching to tell you a story that would sound ridiculous even on Desperate Housewives)
Do tell. : D.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Depends. If you are less than faithful, then the drama that you can cause is more than that of a single person.
(itching to tell you a story that would sound ridiculous even on Desperate Housewives)
I don't plan on sleeping around and have no inclination to cheat. Plus...I HATE drama. Life is too short and absurd.

(itching to tell you a story that would sound ridiculous even on Desperate Housewives)
I think you have an obligation to tell. 😉😛
lol I actually liked high school, even though I wasn't super popular or whatever. Then again I went to a super nerdy high school where even the more popular people were socially inept nerds 
So far I've only bumped into one person from high school at a school I interviewed at, and that was at SUNY Downstate (kinda makes sense since I'm from NYC). But I was at our 5 year reunion and it seemed like only a handful of people actually went down the medical route.
IIRC, there was a former football player at Stony Brook, our valedictorian is at Yale, and I think there were also a handful of people who were applying to medical school. Not everyone was at the reunion though and I know of another person at USC/Keck.
But this is a very small number compared to Husky85, because my high school class was like 900 people, and these people are all at different medical schools. Then again it's partly because Connecticut just has one state medical school so people are less spread out or something?
Still...10% of the class is insane...it boggles my mind. Heh, if 10% of my HS class was at my med school it'd be 90 people though...man that would be really bizarre.
Or maybe he has a really small high school class so 10% is like 2 people?

So far I've only bumped into one person from high school at a school I interviewed at, and that was at SUNY Downstate (kinda makes sense since I'm from NYC). But I was at our 5 year reunion and it seemed like only a handful of people actually went down the medical route.
IIRC, there was a former football player at Stony Brook, our valedictorian is at Yale, and I think there were also a handful of people who were applying to medical school. Not everyone was at the reunion though and I know of another person at USC/Keck.
But this is a very small number compared to Husky85, because my high school class was like 900 people, and these people are all at different medical schools. Then again it's partly because Connecticut just has one state medical school so people are less spread out or something?
Still...10% of the class is insane...it boggles my mind. Heh, if 10% of my HS class was at my med school it'd be 90 people though...man that would be really bizarre.
Or maybe he has a really small high school class so 10% is like 2 people?
QofQuimica
Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
I think there is drama, but I never know about it.A friend of mine told me to expect a lot of the typical high school drama while in med school, any thoughts? Please do share
I usually don't attend class social events, and when people ask me about rumors, the results are always predictably hysterical, because I know less than the person who wants to gossip with me:Other med student: Q, do you know anything about why Mary and John broke up? We're all dying to know what happened!
Me: Mary and John were dating? Each other? Really? When did that happen? 😕
C
Critical Mass
I think you have an obligation to tell. 😉😛
Get back to me on this another day. My current identity is unfortunately not that secure.
I'll just say for now that I did not have sexual relations with that woman.
And this was from an upper middle class suburb HS.
lake oswego?
Get back to me on this another day. My current identity is unfortunately not that secure.
I'll just say for now that I did not have sexual relations with that woman.

Deny, deny, deny!!! It's all about plausible deniability. 😎
R
rmorriso
I don't plan on sleeping around and have no inclination to cheat.
Jeez, raining on everyone's parade

lake oswego?
Close. Jesuit. Our class had its bright spots, but wasn't anything up to the "sterling level of success" that "the one and only Jesuit" is used to.
Close. Jesuit. Our class had its bright spots, but wasn't anything up to the "sterling level of success" that "the one and only Jesuit" is used to.
Lol, I had a coworker who went to school there. He was a trip! Of course, he also went to Evergreen State, so that might explain some of it. None of his high school friends seemed to be up to much of anything. It's just proof that sending your kids to an expensive private school isn't a guarantee that they'll be successful.
I was kind of disappointed at the maturity level of some of our classmates. There's a wonderfully volatile mix of about 200 socially stunted, gossipy, and just downright weird folks in my class. That leads to rumors flying around on a regular basis. It got so bad this year that our dean of student affairs sent out an email to quell the rumor mill about one student. She also threatened to invoke our honor code if she found out who was responsible for the rumors...
A few of my close friends have been the subjects of absolutely absurd rumors on the maturity level of "gee, I feel bad for X's girlfriend because X is totally in love with me and X is just settling for her because I'm not interested".
Prepare yourselves to return to those awkward middle to high school years. If you're married and you're not conducting any extra-marital affairs within the class, you'll probably be able to keep yourself out of the ****show.
A few of my close friends have been the subjects of absolutely absurd rumors on the maturity level of "gee, I feel bad for X's girlfriend because X is totally in love with me and X is just settling for her because I'm not interested".
Prepare yourselves to return to those awkward middle to high school years. If you're married and you're not conducting any extra-marital affairs within the class, you'll probably be able to keep yourself out of the ****show.
Jeez, raining on everyone's parade
I know....I'm such a hot commodity. 🙂
I was kind of disappointed at the maturity level of some of our classmates. There's a wonderfully volatile mix of about 200 socially stunted, gossipy, and just downright weird folks in my class. That leads to rumors flying around on a regular basis. It got so bad this year that our dean of student affairs sent out an email to quell the rumor mill about one student. She also threatened to invoke our honor code if she found out who was responsible for the rumors...
Wow, good for your dean!
R
rmorriso
Does anyone know wtf this is all about?
Reminds me of high school 🙄
😉
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The worst are the people you know where dorks in college who try to act like the cool kids in med school.
lol, the dorks from high school WERE the cool kids in college...so maybe the dorks from college really are the cool kids in med school

Seriously though, it's pretty hard to get into medical school and be on SDN and not be somewhat of a dork.
the average age is med school in between 21-24, prime gossiping years, IMO.
Lol, I had a coworker who went to school there. He was a trip! Of course, he also went to Evergreen State, so that might explain some of it. None of his high school friends seemed to be up to much of anything. It's just proof that sending your kids to an expensive private school isn't a guarantee that they'll be successful.
Yeah, you have to send them to Exeter or Andover

Or at least something like Dalton or Horace Mann.
Seriously though I've been public schooled most of my life
and I don't think I'm any worse off for it (I did attend a private pre-K and also a private university, but I don't think that really counts).I guess drama occurs when you put together anywhere between 100-200 socially ******ed introverts who also happen to get REALLY bored when not studying...![]()
Hysterical.
Our class is apparently light on drama compared to previous years, but even then you have some. It really is like high school, a smaller number of people who all basically take the same classes and spend inordinate amount of times together.
I'd say the most noticeable thing about our school is how clique-y it is. That's not to say cliques don't get along, but there's definitely the pack(s) you run with and study with.
I'd say the most noticeable thing about our school is how clique-y it is. That's not to say cliques don't get along, but there's definitely the pack(s) you run with and study with.
Similar threads
D
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 556
D