High School Med Hopeful- AP Biology?

Started by deleted475056
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted475056

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I am new around here, but have "lurked" on the forum for quite some time. I am currently planning my senior year in high school and I want to be sure that I am on the right track for success in a Clinical Laboratory Science major (Pre-Med). So here is the question:

Should I take AP biology in addition to AP English with a heavy physics and math course load to boot? Part of me says that AP Bio, AP English, Honors Physics and Human Anatomy and Physiology, on top of college math and statistics would be too much. I am willing to take the plunge if I could get some solid opinions in favor of taking it.

I know this is just high school, and I have lots of time, but I am one who likes to plan ahead.

All responses are really appreciated. Hopefully I can reach an intelligent decision. 🙂
 
Only if it helps you get into the college you want to go to. The coursework won't help.
 
Try the High School forum, as the advice here is centered around college-level courses, tracks, tests, etc.


Cross one bridge at a time --you should be focused more so on getting into undergrad colleges rather than med schools right now. Maybe with the exception of BS/MD programs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks, I looked for a high school forum and did not find it. It was right there, hahah.
 
Sure, that'll be a lot of work. But aim for the college you want to go to first, then worry about that major in college.
 
Hello everyone,

I am new around here, but have "lurked" on the forum for quite some time. I am currently planning my senior year in high school and I want to be sure that I am on the right track for success in a Clinical Laboratory Science major (Pre-Med). So here is the question:

Should I take AP biology in addition to AP English with a heavy physics and math course load to boot? Part of me says that AP Bio, AP English, Honors Physics and Human Anatomy and Physiology, on top of college math and statistics would be too much. I am willing to take the plunge if I could get some solid opinions in favor of taking it.

I know this is just high school, and I have lots of time, but I am one who likes to plan ahead.

All responses are really appreciated. Hopefully I can reach an intelligent decision. 🙂

AP biology is easy. Take the class and enjoy it.
 
Yeah, take it. I don't remember too much from the class, but the labs were always interesting.
 
If you like science, AP bio is pretty enjoyable actually. And not that hard. You basically regurgitate all the information you learned in school on the day of the test. Plus it's like demonstrating interest in science.
 
I took AP bio in high school and decided not to claim the credit for it in college and took Intro Bio instead. Although credit-wise they are the same, you learn much more in college Intro Bio than you do in high school AP Bio, which will better prepare you for future science classes such as Genetics. Also, because I had learned everything we were going over in Intro Biology from high school, it was all review for me and therefore an easy A that really helped my GPA.
 
Take AP Biology. That class is fun, blah blah blah. More importantly: you want to major in CLS? That is NOT a pre-med major. If you want to go to med school, do NOT major in CLS. The CLS major is for people who want to be Clinical Laboratory Scientists, not physicians. That is like being a nursing major, then going to medical school. As a pre-med student, you need to major in something that is less vocational and more cerebral. English Lit, PolySci, Biology, Biochemistry, History, Philsophy, Chemistry, BioMed, etc. Not CLS.