High School Stereotypes For Different Specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After shadowing (and watching the 2nd-4th season of scrubs again) it seemed like there were some unwritten stereotypes between different specialties. I was wondering if you guys had any?

Orthopedic Surgeon: Jocks
CT Surgeon: Jock that's on honor role
Anesthesiologist: Last semester senior who has already gotten into a top university and sits back and reads "Forbes" magazine during class
Gastroenterologist: Goth
Cardiologist: Chess club
Female OBGYN: Cheerleaders
Male OBGYN: Male Cheerleaders
General Surgeon: Bully that has a soft spot
Podiatrist: The kid no one knows goes to school
Family Medicine: Laid back guy who slept in on the day of the SAT (or Step 1)
Plastics: Ladies man
Ophthalmologist: The 4.0 that everyone thinks is going to community college
Neurologist: Tennis star
Emergency Medicine: The guy who does doughnuts and drives 40 mph in the parking lot on his mustang
Derm: Doesn't do any work but sets the curve on every test
Psychiatry: Magic club that meets behind the gym

what's your list?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
After shadowing (and watching the 2nd-4th season of scrubs again) it seemed like there were some unwritten stereotypes between different specialties. I was wondering if you guys had any?

Anesthesiologist: Last semester senior who has already gotten into a top university and sits back and reads "Forbes" magazine during class
Emergency Medicine: The guy who does doughnuts and drives 40 mph in the parking lot on his mustang

what's your list?
:lock:

aww man...i guess I thread fail:p

it was a funny concept in my head (where it should've stayed)

what's your list?

Wait, what? I am really good at Tennis and want to be a neurologist. How did you know that?

what's your list?

Wait, what? I am pretty good at Tennis and want to be a neurologist. How did you know that?

I'm not seeing the connection between Gastroenterologists and goths.

Reactions: 1 user
lol, I chuckled at these

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

1242032359_haters-gonna-hate.gif

What's funny about those cartoons someone linked is how incredibly accurate they are in some ways.

My school has this event in which a ton of residents from different specialties sit around and we (first years) get to ask them questions about what they do, what they like about their jobs, or really anything at all (there's more to it, but this is the gist). You rotate through each specialty so you get to see maybe 15 by the end of the event. I was amazed at how many of these residents fit the stereotypes. Derm was particularly accurate (down to the gigantic diamonds on their hands). It was really hard for me not to laugh when I remembered those cartoons.

You'll see when you start looking into different specialties how much the personalities of the people who go into them will differ, and how much that matters. For me the personality factor went up to my top 3 criteria for picking a specialty. You really don't want to hate your colleagues.

premeds that start threads like this: the people that think scrubs is exactly how medicine is everywhere.

FYI: scrubs, although not exactly realistic, is much closer to reality than any other medical bull**** drama out there, from ER to House to Grey's Anatomy.

FYI: scrubs, although not exactly realistic, is much closer to reality than any other medical bull**** drama out there, from ER to House to Grey's Anatomy.

Oh dear Lord, I don't know that that's true. Especially not this season (the med school stuff). NONE OF THAT is accurate.

Oh dear Lord, I don't know that that's true. Especially not this season (the med school stuff). NONE OF THAT is accurate.

I stopped watching a while ago - don't know about the new season. But the "original" Scrubs, if you will, was pretty accurate (as far as all the different characters go) - medicine is pretty outright ridiculous in real life. Haha.

I stopped watching a while ago - don't know about the new season. But the "original" Scrubs, if you will, was pretty accurate (as far as all the different characters go) - medicine is pretty outright ridiculous in real life. Haha.

Yeah, I also haven't been watching recent Scrubs, but original Scrubs is definitely the most accurate....which also makes sense, as it was roughly based on reality. There was a real JD, who was an internal medicine resident at Brown and had been the college roommate of the show's creator. Apparently Bill Lawrence started taking notes on the stories his friend would tell him, and it eventually loosely evolved into the show... and it's true, the farther along I get in medical school the harder it is to watch other medical shows, yet (original) Scrubs becomes more and more true to life.

Last edited:
My friend said all the surgeons at this hospital were just like the scrubs surgeons... They wore do-rags and were totally broing it up, apparently.

what's your list?

lmao :thumbup:

What's funny about those cartoons someone linked is how incredibly accurate they are in some ways.

My school has this event in which a ton of residents from different specialties sit around and we (first years) get to ask them questions about what they do, what they like about their jobs, or really anything at all (there's more to it, but this is the gist). You rotate through each specialty so you get to see maybe 15 by the end of the event. I was amazed at how many of these residents fit the stereotypes. Derm was particularly accurate (down to the gigantic diamonds on their hands). It was really hard for me not to laugh when I remembered those cartoons.

You'll see when you start looking into different specialties how much the personalities of the people who go into them will differ, and how much that matters. For me the personality factor went up to my top 3 criteria for picking a specialty. You really don't want to hate your colleagues.

Someone explain the radiation oncology one to me. I've never understood it yet it's actually the one I'm most interested in.

Yeah, I also haven't been watching recent Scrubs, but original Scrubs is definitely the most accurate....which also makes sense, as it was roughly based on reality. There was a real JD, who was an internal medicine resident at Brown and had been the college roommate of the show's creator. Apparently Bill Lawrence started taking notes on the stories his friend would tell him, and it eventually loosely evolved into the show... and it's true, the farther along I get in medical school the harder it is to watch other medical shows, yet (original) Scrubs becomes more and more true to life.

A lot of the material from the first season was taken right out of the book, The House of God, also. If you haven't read it, you need to! Haha, it's golden.

Couldn't stand it so looked it up and found this:

Haha yeah that's one of my guesses. They're never really around. But also, now that I know a little more about rad/onc, I'd guess that it's because so much of their job is done essentially in the basement where the crazy laser machines and computers are. You're not in the clinic or the wards much. So not only do they have good hours, but you'll rarely run into them unless you're in the bowels of the hospital where all the gadgetry is.

I dunno, I was told by some attendings that Grey's Anatomy was pretty accurate during the first season (before all the side stories) but afterwards it went farther and farther from reality.

A lot of the material from the first season was taken right out of the book, The House of God, also. If you haven't read it, you need to! Haha, it's golden.

They got it wrong on scrubs. GOMER = Get Out of My ER but they work in the MICU/SICU. But yeah...not a bad book (i think LizzyM recommended it on her reading list).

I dunno, I was told by some attendings that Grey's Anatomy was pretty accurate during the first season (before all the side stories) but afterwards it went farther and farther from reality.

They got it wrong on scrubs. GOMER = Get Out of My ER but they work in the MICU/SICU. But yeah...not a bad book (i think LizzyM recommended it on her reading list).

Grey's Anatomy is and has always been such a load of crap!! There's nothing believable going on there imho.

GOMER is a term used throughout the hospital, not just the ER, so they didn't get it wrong.

GI = goth? huh? more like the laid back internists with a sense of humor, probably the least nerdiest

obgyns are not exactly cheerleaders either...those would be the derm girls
Ob-gyns are more like feminists who have a bone to pick with the world and want to be surgeons, like, so bad.....

a few of the others were pretty spot on though

GI = goth? huh? more like the laid back internists with a sense of humor, probably the least nerdiest

obgyns are not exactly cheerleaders either...those would be the derm girls
Ob-gyns are more like feminists who have a bone to pick with the world and want to be surgeons, like, so bad.....

a few of the others were pretty spot on though

huh, interesting. The meanest doctor I know is a dermatologist. And all the ob/gyn's I've met either don't really like surgery or are specializing in maternal and fetal medicine to do more procedures.

I also think neurology and cardiology should be switched. Neurologists are more of the chess-playing intellectuals. Cardiologists are more lifestyle-ish.

"Come on, this isn't brain surgery!"-favorite joke:laugh:

Ugh, it's sadly true. I hear at least one co-resident or attending crack this joke every single day. It's either that or "It's not rocket science--it's brain surgery!"

It'll be forbidden from my OR one day, as will Celine Dion and other forms of resident torture.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNPmhBl-8I[/YOUTUBE]

I feel like pathologists fit the goth profile better...

medical school should be like scrubs.

Last edited:

Haha, what are your impressions of some of the other specialties' personalities?

Why? :S

ButImLETired said:

Have you ever seen Flatliners? I think that movie would be beyond hilarious for a med student to watch. :laugh:

pathologists: socially awkward bookworms