High Stats, What are your top choices and how's your cycle going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The elitist culture and constant neuroticism/ circle jerking is repulsive to some people.

As I said, stop trying to please everyone and celebrate the fact that you have some high ranking interviews. I can promise you I don’t feel that you are elite or above me just because I don’t have interviews at top 20 schools. You need to realize that division and segregation isn’t always bad. Finding groups you belong to is what people have done since the beginning of time and it’s what we will continue to do...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Look at the number of views of threads on the misc allopathic page. Most are a few hundred views. 5is thread has 2k so far so obviously there is either a need for high stat applicants to discuss with each other, or for non high stat applicants to see the grass isn’t always greener (ie: high stat supplicants also have worries and disappointment), or both.

For those feeling insecure about, or protest this thread, do you have the same issue walking around the gym locker room? . People are different, 'nuf said.

Reactions: 1 users
Look at the number of views of threads on the misc allopathic page. Most are a few hundred views. 5is thread has 2k so far so obviously there is either a need for high stat applicants to discuss with each other, or for non high stat applicants to see the grass isn’t always greener (ie: high stat supplicants also have worries and disappointment), or both.

For those feeling insecure about, or protest this thread, do you have the same issue walking around the gym locker room? . People are different, 'nuf said.
Or because people know this will be a controversial thread just by looking at the title so they congregate to watch the show.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why can't we all just be fam?

Reactions: 7 users
Why can't we all just be fam?

c'mon fam, we all in this together, fam

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Why not just support everyone, fam? We all can have dreams!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I'll be honest, I'm not sure how to evaluate how well my cycle is going, simply because SDN seems to be filled with people with 10+ II's
I have 520+ mcat, 3.9+ gpa, submitted 32 secondaries, a mix of safety schools, target schools, and reach schools (I consider T20s reach for any applicant)
I have received 6 II's so far:
I applied to 8 T10's and received 2 II's
I applied to 6 T20's and received 1 II
I applied to around 15 target schools and received 1 II
I applied to 5 safety schools and received 2 II's

I have tons of research and community service, but my app is weak on clinical experience and I think that might be what's holding me back

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Out of curiosity, which schools have not sent you II's ?

Baylor, USC-Keck, Albany Medical College, and UCSF (but I was complete at UCSF much later than my other schools because I added it last min so I dont think they reviewed my app yet but they did send me a secondary).

Please and really please, don't take this thread the wrong way. I am only wanting to canvass here to see how (3.6+/520+, or LM 75+) people are doing. Let's talk about where you got your R's instead!

For a "high stats" thread, a 3.6 is a low threshold. That sounds pretty average.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
For a "high stats" thread, a 3.6 is a low threshold. That sounds pretty average.
So how about 3.75+ AND 520+ AND 130+ in every section? Lol really it’s arbitrary and self-defined.

Members don't see this ad :)
So why not call it a high MCAT and at least a solid GPA thread?
Because too low of a GPA limits your option and shows you don’t really care about schoolwork too much.

Not to the extent that they will differentiate a 3.6 vs 3.8 as 518 and and a 522
Both GPA and MCAT serve a purpose. GPA is a marker of sustained effort and performance, measured over years. MCAT serves as an equalizer and represents one's mastery of the material and test-taking capabilities, measured over one day.

All else being equal, I would choose an applicant with 3.8/518 over one with 3.6/522. Both MCATs are sufficiently high such that there is no meaningful difference between them. The difference between these scores likely boil down to just several questions, within the margin for error. I like to reward consistency over potentially dumb luck. I'm sure some others may prefer the latter candidate. Just my thoughts

Reactions: 15 users
Both GPA and MCAT serve a purpose. GPA is a marker of sustained effort and performance, measured over years. MCAT serves as an equalizer and represents one's mastery of the material and test-taking capabilities, measured over one day.

All else being equal, I would choose an applicant with 3.8/518 over one with 3.6/522. Both MCATs are sufficiently high such that there is no meaningful difference between them. The difference between these scores likely boil down to just several questions, within the margin for error. I like to reward consistency over potentially dumb luck. I'm sure some others may prefer the latter candidate. Just my thoughts
i am sure each school has its own agenda. When your dean of admissions tells you that the mission of the cycle is to maintain our 521 median, i am sure your hands are tied and you may have to pick the latter, ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL. Certainly, there’s no “all else being equal.” Therefore whether we consider a 3.75 or 3.6 with a 520+ is the threshold for high stats is very moot.

i am sure each school has its own agenda. When your dean of admissions tells you that the mission of the cycle is to maintain our 521 median, i am sure your hands are tied and you may have to pick the latter, ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL.
The same admissions dean will also want to maintain a high GPA. ;)

In this hypothetical match-up, both the 3.6/522 and 3.8/518 applicant can stop fighting. The last remaining spot already went to a 3.9/523 student. (Just kidding)

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 17 users
Why am I not surprised by this thread? There’s something to be said for handling victory/success with grace? This ain’t it.

For a field centered around caring for the less fortunate, I’d hope my future classmates/peers would be able to show a little more empathy and awareness.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Why am I not surprised by this thread? There’s something to be said for handling victory/success with grace? This ain’t it.

For a field centered around caring for the less fortunate, I’d hope my future classmates/peers would be able to show a little more empathy and awareness.
I don’t think there’s so much victory or grace in medicine as struggle and perseverance. This thread is certainly not a victory lap.

We are all struggling through this process with self doubt and disappointment, no matter what our stats are. It’s just that with certain stats, we are shooting a little higher and that itself comes with stress and anxiety.

I don’t think there’s so much victory or grace in medicine as struggle and perseverance. This thread is certainly not a victory lap.

We are all struggling through this process with self doubt and disappointment, no matter what our stats are. It’s just that with certain stats, we are shooting a little higher and that itself comes with stress and anxiety.

Yeah... you really didn’t understand what I was getting at...

And yes, I’m VERY sympathetic to everyone swimming with II, who are “struggling” through the process and “shooting a little bit higher”.

I’m already done with this thread.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Yeah... you really didn’t understand what I was getting at...

And yes, I’m VERY sympathetic to everyone “struggling” through the process and “shooting a little bit higher”.

I’m already done with this thread.
:wideyed:

There are more gradients to GPA than to MCAT. A 3.6 is not the same as a 3.7 nor a 3.8.

But once you get to 517+ MCAT, they're all the same...all > 95th %ile.

One of the problems with these numbers is that people use them as affirmations of their person-hood

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
having this thread isn't similar to talking about how difficult it is to survive on a $250k salary in front of your family. it's more like going into a room with your brother who's also in a similar career path and trajectory to talk about the unique struggles that you're experiencing, because maybe, it'd be nice to talk to someone who understands the exact position you're in. and doing this to AVOID appearing tone-deaf, but people like you still poke your head in and talk about how it makes you feel insecure.

What makes you think disagreeing with the premise of this thread has anything to do with being insecure about the cycle?

I agree that this is tone deaf, and my cycle is going just fine.

The fact that you're attacking him ad hominem for disagreeing (ironically) is insecure.

With a 3.9X and a 52x MCAT, what exactly are these 15 target schools that are not T10 or T20? ‘Target’ should be where you are closest to the median. You are only close to the median of like...7 schools. For applicants like us, the top schools are target. Thinking anything less is just unnecessary self doubt and stating that non-T20 schools are “target” for such a high stats applicant is extraordinarily tone deaf as there are 3.7/515 applicants who read that and rightly think “Well then where am I target for?” They are target for the schools you are claiming are target...but now you just lowered their confidence.

Ok fam (if you read this) I actually get it now. My bad.

• Love
There are more gradients to GPA than to MCAT. A 3.6 is not the same as a 3.7 nor a 3.8.

But once you get to 517+ MCAT, they're all the same...all > 95th %ile.

One of the problems with these numbers is that people use them as affirmations of their person-hood
Hmm idk if I’d say 517+ are all the same. I have a friend who basically has the same app (gpa, research, pubs, ECs) but he has a 518 and so far he’s received 3 II. I think at the top schools they differentiate between 524+ and 520under

Hmm idk if I’d say 517+ are all the same. I have a friend who basically has the same app (gpa, research, pubs, ECs) but he has a 518 and so far he’s received 3 II. I think at the top schools they differentiate between 524+ and 520under

I agree. There prob are some schools like NYU or washU where they differentiate the 524s from the 518s but I don’t think it’s super pronounced at most. In my case, I have a 521 which is obviously good but it’s not OMG somebody with a 526. The way I see it, once your stats are good enough, other factors come into play much more heavily

I agree. There prob are some schools like NYU or washU where they differentiate the 524s from the 518s but I don’t think it’s super pronounced at most. In my case, I have a 521 which is obviously good but it’s not OMG somebody with a 526. The way I see it, once your stats are good enough, other factors come into play much more heavily
Once you are after the interview, I am sure they rank you based on your overall scores with your stats being the most important contributor, if you are at a place where the median is 520+, trust me they don’t treat 517+ the same, because if they do, their median will be 517, just because the score is scaled...

The same admissions dean will also want to maintain a high GPA. ;)

In this hypothetical match-up, both the 3.6/522 and 3.8/518 applicant can stop fighting. The last remaining spot already went to a 3.9/523 student. (Just kidding)
Right, but the fact that GPA is not a limited resource, as an operation optimizer, there’s almost no constraint. For example, if you want to construct a class with a 521 and 3.85. You can randomly draw 100 people from a hat, I bet that your GPA median is not far from that number. You absolutely can’t say the same about the MCAT median. My point is not that MCAT is a better indicator of your capacity than GPA. Rather I want to illustrate the point that the MCAT is the differentiator that can be effectively used to limit the amount of the applicants who can get in. It’s only logical for a school wanting to achieve a 520 median to essentially disregard (3.6+) GPA when it comes to high MCAT people, because even they do that, they will likely get a median around 3.85 among that population. GPA for the ones with below median MCAT will be a determining factor because this population has no contribution to the MCAT anymore. That’s why in the real situation (that’s for school with a 520 median), they won’t constrict too much on the GPA once you are over the median. That’s even more true for schools with 521 and 522, they just don’t have that much room to maneuver.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure how to evaluate how well my cycle is going, simply because SDN seems to be filled with people with 10+ II's
I have 520+ mcat, 3.9+ gpa, submitted 32 secondaries, a mix of safety schools, target schools, and reach schools (I consider T20s reach for any applicant)
I have received 6 II's so far:
I applied to 8 T10's and received 2 II's
I applied to 6 T20's and received 1 II
I applied to 5 safety schools and received 2 II's

I have tons of research and community service, but my app is weak on clinical experience and I think that might be what's holding me back
This isn't college confidential

Reactions: 7 users
Look, for all these high stats people, congratulations for what you have achieved so far. I am sure you will have your pick of schools and financial aid packages. However, I want to reiterate to y'all and everyone else reading this thread that your application is more than your stats!!!!

Sure, would having lower stats preclude you from applying to all these great schools? Yeah, if you didn't have money to waste. However, it was your story and accomplishments that propelled you forward. I think that playing this numbers game to try to figure out who gets ranked first based on MCAT is a futile effort. It doesn't help you, and it feeds on your stress and anxiety about the process.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Bruh, don't do that. The difference between a 521 and a 526 is 3 questions at most. Anything above a 520 is indistinguishable for everybody. This is what I am saying about tying the value of your application to your stats. Nobody gives a crap about stats over a 517. Quit perpetuating the myth that people fawn over a 526 when looking at someone with 521 with a complete package.

Bruh, don't do that. The difference between a 521 and a 526 is 3 questions at most. Anything above a 520 is indistinguishable for everybody. This is what I am saying about tying the value of your application to your stats. Nobody gives a crap about stats over a 517. Quit perpetuating the myth that people fawn over a 526 when looking at someone with 521 with a complete package.

NYU and washU will fawn

Why are you so dismissive of someone else’s accomplishment? I could say the same about research, EC, shadowing and volunteering. You think people just walk in and out with a 526?? 3 questions separating 521 and 526, I bet you never looked at the scale....

Why are you so dismissive of someone else’s accomplishment? I could say the same about research, EC, shadowing and volunteering. You think people just walk in and out with a 526?? 3 questions separating 521 and 526, I bet you never looked at the scale....

He was downplaying his 521 by comparing it to a 526 as if getting a 521 was not an accomplishment. My point was his 521 is just as valuable as a 526. The difference between 99 and 100 is 1 point, but at the end of the day, they are both As. That is what I meant about tying your application's worth based on MCAT. There is more about you than your numbers, and that is where your story comes in. Arguing about how a 518 can be differentiated from a 522 is splitting hairs at this point. They both show you can perform well on the test. They don't indicate which of you would be a better medical student or doctor. That is what schools are trying to determine by looking at the entirety of your application.

He was downplaying his 521 by comparing it to a 526 as if getting a 521 was not an accomplishment. My point was his 521 is just as valuable as a 526. The difference between 99 and 100 is 1 point, but at the end of the day, they are both As. That is what I meant about tying your application's worth based on MCAT. There is more about you than your numbers, and that is where your story comes in. Arguing about how a 518 can be differentiated from a 522 is splitting hairs at this point. They both show you can perform well on the test. They don't indicate which of you would be a better medical student or doctor. That is what schools are trying to determine by looking at the entirety of your application.
I agree. It’s all hypothetical because no two candidates are the same. Stories are incredibly important. But I believe high MCAT people also deserve some acknowledgment. I can’t stand people saying oh it’s all luck and blah blah. I also challenge all the adcoms here to say did you prepare for the MCAT yourself and what would you score on it? Seriously it’s so easy to TALK about something from the perspective of an evaluator.

Interviewer: "So tell me, why do you think you'd make a good physician?"
notsobabydoc: "Have you looked at my ******* MCAT score breh?"

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Interviewer: "So tell me, why do you think you'd make a good physician?"
notsobabydoc: "Have you looked at my ******* MCAT score breh?"
Nobody here says ONLY MCAT. Your post should be banned.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Forgive me.

"Have you looked at my ******* LizzyM breh?"

• Haha
... That's "vicious mockery"?

Sorry, but you have to understand that by starting this thread and complaining about the plight of the disrespected ultra-high MCAT scorer you invite yourself to at least some mockery. I couldn't help myself after I read your desire to compare your MCAT with a hypothetical adcom MCAT (LOL)

• Love
... That's "vicious mockery"?

Sorry, but you have to understand that by starting this thread and complaining about the plight of the disrespected ultra-high MCAT scorer you invite yourself to at least some mockery. I couldn't help myself after I read your desire to compare your MCAT with a hypothetical adcom MCAT (LOL)
Plight?

Status
Not open for further replies.