High Stats, What are your top choices and how's your cycle going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

notsobabydoc

I love my blue name!
Removed
Reaction score
Please and really please, don't take this thread the wrong way. I am only wanting to canvass here to see how (3.6+/520+, or LM 75+) people are doing. Let's talk about where you got your R's instead!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Damn didnt make the stats cut off....

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
EDIT: actually nvm I will wait to post my thoughts on this later lol

Reactions: 2 users
I would rather not post my top choices here, but the cycle is going a lot better than I expected and I am grateful.

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
edit: no one wants to show their cards! come on!

• Haha
4.0 528 at ~ Y I K E S ~ University School of Medicine

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
see above for the edits! Let's talk about our R's!

UChicago :(

Top choice = any school granting significant merit scholarship (haha)
Next top choice T10
Next T20
Etc.

Submitted all secondaries between first half-July and mid-August.
Have had decent success with 4 IIs from T10/T20 schools, obviously way less than the SDN II super stars. Traditional, non-URM. Very high stats, strong ECs but not much research.

It is interesting how different T10/20 schools’ interest in a candidate can be; although it is still possible that not all have fully reviewed my app yet, or waiting to issue more IIs from earlier batches.

Pre-II Rs: Tulane

Reactions: 5 users
Top choice = any school granting significant merit scholarship (haha)
Next top choice T10
Next T20
Etc.

Submitted all secondaries between first half-July and mid-August.
Have had decent success with 4 IIs from T10/T20 schools, obviously way less than the SDN II super stars. Traditional, non-URM. Very high stats, strong ECs but not much research.

It is interesting how different T10/20 schools’ interest in a candidate can be; although it is still possible that not all have fully reviewed my app yet, or waiting to issue more IIs from earlier batches.

Pre-II Rs: Tulane

Love that Tulane R lol.

Love that Tulane R lol.
I have to make myself feel better and claim “Yield Protection” as I have lots of both clinical and non clinical volunteering for the underserved. Despite seeing Yield Protection was laughed at on the Tulane thread. ;-)

I’m not super high stats but still hoping at least one school will offer me some kind of scholarship lol

so if y’all get scholarships please decline and send them my way, much appreciated XD

Reactions: 1 users
I have to make myself feel better and claim “Yield Protection” as I have lots of both clinical and non clinical volunteering for the underserved. Despite seeing Yield Protection was laughed at on the Tulane thread. ;-)

well, of course you get laughed at there. But I think you may not fit in their mission too Lmao!

What was your initial definition of high stats?

LM76.5, worse than expected. Looking back and rereading my app, I suspect I wasn’t able to sell myself enough in my writing.

• Sad
well, of course you get laughed at there. But I think you may not fit in their mission too Lmao!
No, I wasn’t the one who posted about Yield protection in that thread.

Tulane Mission
We improve human health and foster healthy communities through discovery and translation of the best science into clinical practice and education; to deliver the highest quality patient care and prepare the next generation of distinguished clinical and scientific leaders.

Fit? My clinical an non clinical volunteering were perfectly aligned.

What was your initial definition of high stats?

LM76.5, worse than expected. Looking back and rereading my app, I suspect I wasn’t able to sell myself enough in my writing.

That's my next question for everyone here. How do you define high stats? I think 520+/LM 75+/3.6+ ?

No, I want the one who posted about Yield protection in that thread.

Tulane Mission
We improve human health and foster healthy communities through discovery and translation of the best science into clinical practice and education; to deliver the highest quality patient care and prepare the next generation of distinguished clinical and scientific leaders.

Fit? My clinical an non clinical volunteering were perfectly aligned.
guess you missed my "lmao" earlier. I was being sarcastic.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
That's my next question for everyone here. How do you define high stats? I think 520+/LM 75+/3.6+ ?
I would say at least 50th percentile LM for both gpa and MCAT for T20 schools (76ish) and top tier WARS score.

Reactions: 1 user
Moderately high stat applicant, LM 75. Overall the cycle is going about how I wanted it to. Have definitely heard from schools I wasn't expecting to. However, as an MD/PhD applicant definitely feel as though high stats really don't mean much. I feel like my research experience, some unique EC's,and life events have played a much greater role in my application so far than my stats have.

I refuse to answer or respond to this elitist thread (notwithstanding this statement) and so should the rest of you

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
I didn’t make the stats cut but my top choice is Princeton Medical School.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
Thanks for the R, Pitt.

• Sad
Top choice is prob Harvard. Also really like Stanford, Hopkins, Yale, duke, Columbia......dammit I like almost every school! Been super fortunate to not have a R yet but I’m sure USC-Keck will deliver it to me soon.

• Wow
  • Haha
Top choice is prob Harvard. Also really like Stanford, Hopkins, Yale, duke, Columbia......dammit I like almost every school! Been super fortunate to not have a R yet but I’m sure USC-Keck will deliver it to me soon.

holy **** 23/27 II's... that has to be some kind of record

How many hours for each type of volunteering?

4.0/523, honestly kinda disappointing. 1 top 10 II and 4 holds at places I love

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Mods
Please close this thread

• Wow
Reactions: 12 users
Mods
Please close this thread
While the thread might be from a potentially toxic place, no one is really being rude about anything. Why can’t successful applicants share where they want to go (note, I agree with the others in not personally sharing, but what is inherently wrong with it?)

While the thread might be from a potentially toxic place, no one is really being rude about anything. Why can’t successful applicants share where they want to go (note, I agree with the others in not personally sharing, but what is inherently wrong with it?)

There’s no reason for that discussion to be limited to those with high stats though. Why not just “What’s your top school and why?”

(Although if you want actually interesting answers, you’d have to tell people not to include (a) “wherever I get in” or (b) “wherever is cheapest”)

Reactions: 8 users

While you may feel it’s harmless, it isn’t. It’s a thread for people to brag about their stats and interviews, often cloaked in supposed self-deprecating humor, which adds or does nothing to the discussion for those persons with high or great stats who for whatever reason haven’t been fortunate enough to receive interviews.
In my opinion it adds nothing except the opportunity for people to flex their stats and tell us how great they are relative to everyone else, which most people responding have already done anyway.

Reactions: 22 users
relative to everyone else,
I 100% agree with everything you and @xkcd6330 jus said except this. Where is anyone comparing themselves? People are Bragging and flexing, but they are stating “I have this number” as opposed to “I have 3 times more than you.” If people are just stating their success without comparing to others, but the others are observing a comparison, then isn’t the onus of responsibility for making a comparison not on the braggart but on the others? Again, not saying people should brag, but...do you get my point?

I 100% agree with everything you and @xkcd6330 jus said except this. Where is anyone comparing themselves? People are Bragging and flexing, but they are stating “I have this number” as opposed to “I have 3 times more than you.” If people are just stating their success without comparing to others, but the others are observing a comparison, then isn’t the onus of responsibility for making a comparison not on the braggart but on the others? Again, not saying people should brag, but...do you get my point?

No. I don’t. It is my humble opinion that such a thread and responses to same only encourage an environment of elitism and serve no purpose other than to feed the egos of those making the thread or those responding to it.

Reactions: 20 users
No. I don’t. It is my humble opinion that such a thread and responses to same only encourage an environment of elitism and serve no purpose other than to feed the egos of those making the thread or those responding to it.

You must be a ton of fun at parties hahahahah

• Haha
If we’re including a LizzyM 74 here (round up to 75 I guess lol), I applied late August/early September and have heard nothing. I assume I haven’t been looked at yet, since no Rs yet. I imagine they’re coming though, lol

Reactions: 3 users
So those who are perceived as elite can only celebrate and support each other in private?

Nah I agree with him. SDN is highly fragmented based solely of stats. I think a lot of high stat applicants (including myself) forget that there are a lot more people on sdn than our friends on the top 20 school specific threads. Even though no one is making a direct comparison, posts such as these create anxiety in lower stat individuals when they see posts such as “ugh I only have 4 iis” (aka me). Let’s just all wait till closer to the end of the cycle when we hopefully have a few acceptances and then we can start a circle jerk.

Reactions: 13 users
If we’re including a LizzyM 74 here (round up to 75 I guess lol), I applied late August/early September and have heard nothing. I assume I haven’t been looked at yet, since no Rs yet. I imagine they’re coming though, lol

Sorry not LM 75?

Let me show you the door:

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
If you’re the kind of person who ends up at t20 schools I’m certain I want nothing to do with them.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 28 users
Status
Not open for further replies.