High Stats, What are your top choices and how's your cycle going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait are Sunbodi and notsobabydoc the same person...!?
Why am I not surprised...?
I feel like sunbodi made the thread as a joke.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Idk man.
I’m obviously not going to change your mind(s), so have at it. And congratulations to you both on your successes so far!
No, genuine question. If you don’t like when those perceived as elite do this in a public setting, then are they not allowed to be publicly happy?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
No, genuine question. If you don’t like when those perceived as elite do this in a public setting, then are they not allowed to be publicly happy?
It’s a free country Memes. You can do whatever you want. I just think that when you do it at the expense of others, i.e., making others feel inadequate or less adequate, it is not the best for everyone.

Reactions: 8 users
You'd think that if high stats made you feel inadequate, you wouldn't enter a thread directed at people for high stats?

Reactions: 1 users
It’s a free country Memes. You can do whatever you want. I just think that when you do it at the expense of others, i.e., making others feel inadequate or less adequate, it is not the best for everyone.
I 100% agree. But how is talking yourself and other up putting others down? If I say “The US economy has doubled in size in the last decade” does that immediately assumebI am talking bad about Latvia (IDK the Latvian economy)

I 100% agree. But how is talking yourself and other up putting others down? If I say “The US economy has doubled in size in the last decade” does that immediately assumebI am talking bad about Latvia (IDK the Latvian economy)
I think it’s more like going to a family gathering and talking about how you make 250k+ a year while knowing that those who aren’t as successful can clearly hear you.

Reactions: 18 users
I think it’s more like going to a family gathering and talking about how you make 250k+ a year while knowing that those who aren’t as successful can clearly hear you.
[/QUOTE

Yes. Exactly that.

Reactions: 8 users
I think a lot of it is unintentionally tone-deaf. We can all be excited for each other regardless of stats or interviews. We are putting in a lot of work and we should all be proud

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
I think a lot of it is unintentionally tone-deaf. We can all be excited for each other regardless of stats or interviews. We are putting in a lot of work and we should all be proud
Love this mentality. Let’s combine the high stat and mid-low stat threads lol!

Reactions: 3 users

I don’t disagree
Everyone who is applying to med school is accomplished. All I am trying to say is that a thread that starts out with “high stats applicants, how are we feeling today and which top school are you considering attending?” Is a self aggrandizing thread and serves no purpose for other applicants other than to be exclusionary.

Reactions: 6 users
No. I don’t. It is my humble opinion that such a thread and responses to same only encourage an environment of elitism and serve no purpose other than to feed the egos of those making the thread or those responding to it.
As I said in the first thread. Please don’t pass any judgment. It’s for people who want to be part of the conversation. If you feel it’s toxic, I think you are entitled to your opinion and you can ignore this thread. We don’t need a moral policeman here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t disagree
Everyone who is applying to med school is accomplished. All I am trying to say is that a thread that starts out with “high stats applicants, how are we feeling today and which top school are you considering attending?” Is a self aggrandizing thread and serves no purpose for other applicants other than to be exclusionary.
Why did you click in?

Pls let’s not fight. I can hear a mod coming this way.

Reactions: 5 users
As I said in the first thread. Please don’t pass any judgment. It’s for people who want to be part of the conversation. If you feel it’s toxic, I think you are entitled to your opinion and you can ignore this thread. We don’t need a moral policeman here.

Not trying to be any kind of policeman, brother.
Just expressing my opinion on what I perceive to be an elitist, self aggrandizing thread.

Nah I agree with him. SDN is highly fragmented based solely of stats. I think a lot of high stat applicants (including myself) forget that there are a lot more people on sdn than our friends on the top 20 school specific threads. Even though no one is making a direct comparison, posts such as these create anxiety in lower stat individuals when they see posts such as “ugh I only have 4 iis” (aka me). Let’s just all wait till closer to the end of the cycle when we hopefully have a few acceptances and then we can start a circle jerk.
I believe any II post can create anxiety.

I don’t disagree

you're being intentionally obtuse. the thread literally started with a post asking about how we were doing (because, you know, high-stat applicants are still allowed to have misgivings and fears about their application cycle).
having this thread isn't similar to talking about how difficult it is to survive on a $250k salary in front of your family. it's more like going into a room with your brother who's also in a similar career path and trajectory to talk about the unique struggles that you're experiencing, because maybe, it'd be nice to talk to someone who understands the exact position you're in. and doing this to AVOID appearing tone-deaf, but people like you still poke your head in and talk about how it makes you feel insecure.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
You are right.

I’ve said my piece and am going to leave it at that.
I wish nothing but the best for everyone, no matter what their stats! Peace out!
RJ McReady

Pls let’s not fight. I can hear a mod coming this way.
Exactly. Please don’t fight. I made the premise of this thread very clear at the beginning. We don’t want flexers. High stats people have their concerns and disappointments just like everyone else. We need a safe environment to discuss those issues just like everyone else. Elitism is not what this thread is all about.

Just expressing my opinion on what I perceive to be an elitist, self aggrandizing thread.
Duly noted, hence I started the thread by saying don’t take it the wrong way.

We need a safe environment to discuss those issues just like everyone else. Elitism is not what this thread is all about.

Quote strangely similar to some of the propaganda coming out of the White House these days...

• Haha
We need a safe environment to discuss those issues just like everyone else. Elitism is not what this thread is all about.

Quote strangely similar to some of the propaganda coming out of the White House these days...
I can safely tell you that I am a proud democrat.

• Haha
Play nice people or this thread will quickly go the way of the dodo bird. Yes, there is an absolute right for all types to seek advice from kindred spirits in our community (and to make those threads without harassment from other members); however, personal attacks will not be tolerated and are not compatible with our community.

You are right.
Leaving my mark before gyngyn locks the thread a second time.

Edit: Added a period at the end of my sentence because this is a high-stats thread.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 19 users
If you’re the kind of person who ends up at t20 schools I’m certain I want nothing to do with them.
You do unfortunately deal with one or two classmates who are pretty tone deaf when it comes to bragging. Hoping that next year’s M1 class at my school is better than some of the people represented on this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Just wanted to say henlo :)

Leaving my mark before locked

I really like your profile pic, one of the cutest along with babypotato

Sorry cats and dogs, you got nothing on inanimate computer drawings

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I generally don’t have a problem with threads like this. While some people might see it as elitism, if someone with 23 IIs went into a general cycle anxiety thread and started talking about being anxious about the cycle, they would A) make everyone else in the thread with less success feel bad, and B) probably get told to just be happy with their success. Neither of those are helpful.

So even if this thread does come from a toxic place, the result is actually beneficial. No one has to read any thread on this site. If you have low stats and don’t like the idea of a high stats only thread, then click ignore on the thread and don’t look at it.

I don’t want to close this thread again because I think it serves a purpose. But if I have to I will. Keep it on topic and if you don’t like the purpose of the thread then stay out of it. If posts start getting derogatory and elitist, it will be closed as well. This thread is on a short leash.

Reactions: 7 users
That’s your perception, but certainly not the intention of this thread. We are not talking about how great our cycle has been. We are trying to assess how others in our situation are doing.

:owle:Can we make this an RPG game where your LizzyM score is your base level and WARS is prestige? :owle:

:poke:

• Haha
This is the cringiest idea for a thread I have seen on SDN.

It’s like the 250k+ comment but these people don’t even have the 250k yet lol
“Future millionaires, what is the first supercar you’re going to buy? I know mine is a McLaren 720S!” <— that’s what this thread sounds like.

• Wow
I don't understand why people are getting so offended over this thread lol, when nobody has done/said anything that would make this thready "cringy" and nobody is downplaying other applicants and their achievements.

I'm a bit jealous they're likely going to get to choose between various t20s but they should be able to celebrate their success and hard work.. anybody that's bitter probably just regrets they didn't take things as serious as they should've..

There’s always someone who gets offended over something stupid.

“Future millionaires, what is the first supercar you’re going to buy? I know mine is a McLaren 720S!” <— that’s what this thread sounds like.
that’s not what this thread sounds like at all. It’s a place where high stat applicants can talk about this application cycle. I find myself in the lower tier forum which is fine for me because I’d rather not hear about how everyone is nervous for their Hardvard, Yale, UCSF, or Stanford interviews. I want to talk to people in regards to WVU, Toledo, Tucson, and schools of this nature. It’s impossible to please everyone in this world so there is no point in trying, people just need to stop getting offended and worked up over such minute things....

I'm a bit jealous they're likely going to get to choose between various t20s but they should be able to celebrate their success and hard work.. anybody that's bitter probably just regrets they didn't take things as serious as they should've..
Lol I don’t regret anything and I have a 3.93/520 and interviewed at 2 T10 and 3 T20 schools. I could have just flexed this on this thread and talked about my “high stats” (although this is probably mediocre by this thread’s standards) but this doesn’t help me in any way tbh. There are people on SDN that may have lower stats and seeing threads like this every time they are on here may make them less likely to come on and ask for help/ share their experiences. Labeling a thread specifically for “high stats” applicants immediately makes people evaluate if they fall into this category and those that don’t may not want to contribute to SDN if this is all they see. This is not the only instance of this either... recently there was a “10+ interview thread”. This is why SDN has a reputation of being elitist and fueling neuroticism in medicine. A better suggestion for a similar thread topic would be: “what are your dream schools/ top choices” this would not turn anybody away and I’m sure high stats students would be happy to contribute to this thread as many people on here have interviewed at some of the best medical schools in the country! Best of luck to everyone, high stats or not! /rant

Reactions: 3 users
I'm honestly mediocre stats and think this thread is great. a lot of high stats kids feel like they can't celebrate their situation and success. we've all been that kid who gets a 98 on an exam with an 80 average and we feel afraid to tell anyone. but screw it. if you're going into medicine your entire career will be working with high achieving people, many who appear better than you on paper. be proud of yourself and always focus on self improvement. the second you start comparing yourself to others you will just end up depressed and overly self conscious. so to all you high stats people, please celebrate and I hope you all kill it

There’s always someone who gets offended over something stupid.

that’s not what this thread sounds like at all. It’s a place where high stat applicants can talk about this application cycle. I find myself in the lower tier forum which is fine for me because I’d rather not hear about how everyone is nervous for their Hardvard, Yale, UCSF, or Stanford interviews. I want to talk to people in regards to WVU, Toledo, Tucson, and schools of this nature. It’s impossible to please everyone in this world so there is no point in trying, people just need to stop getting offended and worked up over such minute things....

Not offended bud, just thought I would try to shed some light into why many people tell us to stay off of SDN. The elitist culture and constant neuroticism/ circle jerking is repulsive to some people. I like this forum but we should re-evaluate how we come off to others who may not be inclined to come on here.

I strongly disagree that having high stats is equivalent to being GIVEN 250k+, everyone earned their high stats here. We didn't inherit it from anyone.

Lol I don’t regret anything and I have a 3.93/520 and interviewed at 2 T10 and 3 T20 schools. I could have just flexed this on this thread and talked about my “high stats” (although this is probably mediocre by this thread’s standards) but this doesn’t help me in any way tbh. There are people on SDN that may have lower stats and seeing threads like this every time they are on here may make them less likely to come on and ask for help/ share their experiences. Labeling a thread specifically for “high stats” applicants immediately makes people evaluate if they fall into this category and those that don’t may not want to contribute to SDN if this is all they see. This is not the only instance of this either... recently there was a “10+ interview thread”. This is why SDN has a reputation of being elitist and fueling neuroticism in medicine. A better suggestion for a similar thread topic would be: “what are your dream schools/ top choices” this would not turn anybody away and I’m sure high stats students would be happy to contribute to this thread as many people on here have interviewed at some of the best medical schools in the country! Best of luck to everyone, high stats or not! /rant

You keep mentioning stuff like "seeing threads like this every time they are on here" and "may not want to contribute to SDN if this is all they see". This is completely false lol, you're nit picking these threads specifically and making it seem like that's all SDN is. If you come on here regularly you see the type of threads that are created and are in no way geared only towards high stat applicants.

These threads are created from time to time (that 10+ interview thread was a while ago) and it's a way for these high stat applicants to talk about the schools that they want to go to. If people are "sad" and "turned away" from SDN because of threads like this, then wtf are they here for. Do they expect every single person to be similar to them? That's life, there will always be people better than you, so comparing yourself does nothing but contribute to their insecurity.

High stat applicants are always looked down upon here because there is no place for them to talk about stuff like this, because if they mention their schools or stats in any other thread, they are automatically "bragging", which is dumb because unless they are outright making fun of others while talking about their stats, then they have every right to create a thread like this and talk about their successes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.