High Yield Bursa's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aashkab

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
They seem to keep popping up randomly (NBME 6, WORLD, etc), and I barely even know what a bursa is. So, does anyone know some good ones to know?

The one on world was, gardener spending time on knees a lot = prepatellar bursa.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

trochanteric bursa, pain when lying on side on the hip esp. in old people

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, hey! Is a bursa worth it to condemn yourself to FM? :D

yeah! we've got to make the low yields into our own high yields. and at least give us a good chance to guess.

any more bursa's? There was one on NBME 6 about a runner but i can't remember the question at all.

well subacromial bursa might b imp since it can get inflamed in rotator cuff muscle damage

Yeah there's like bunch of bursae around the knee joint, the only one of which I've bothered to make note of is the prepatellar (inflamed from kneeling too much, "housemaid's knee").

Yeah, i got that wrong on NBME 6 too, I was so sure I had it right too..

here are some images:

PCL:
pcl-mri.jpg

PCL.jpeg

ACL:

acl_mri_normal.JPG

acl_mri_torn.JPG

(right click on link information for sources)

Yeah, i got that wrong on NBME 6 too, I was so sure I had it right too..

here are some images:

PCL:
pcl-mri.jpg

PCL.jpeg

ACL:

acl_mri_normal.JPG

acl_mri_torn.JPG

(right click on link information for sources)

so whats the answer to the runner's bursa poker?

Last edited:
Hmm maybe I didn't yet hit the question you're referring, I just remember a question that implied that I needed to identify the PCL.. so i posted images of what to look for in the ACL and PCL

I can actually help you out with bursitis a bit cause I had that in my shoulder being a former pitcher. A bursae is where the synovial fluid around a joint fills. So inflammation (NOT INFECTION ONLY) leads to bursitis. For some reason people think its caused by infection, but I'm pretty sure throwing a baseball didn't give me an infection in my shoulder.

as for runner's bursa, never heard of it, I think shoulder is definitely the most common location for bursitis.

but I did find this link: http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/hipsurgery/a/hipbursitis.htm

looks like its inflammation of the bursae of the greater trocanter of the femur

it might be it, i put like psoas bursa which is a stupid guess now knowing the definition, lol