• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

High Yield vs. Low Yield

bbpiano1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2005
    I've heard that to pass Step 1 you need to know all the high yield material, and to do really well, you need to also know the low yield material. I have a pretty good idea of what is high-yield, but I am wondering if somebody can give examples of questions they've seen that they would consider low yield. Should I assume that "low-yield" ="'not in FA"?

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    Dec 20, 2004
    1. Attending Physician
      I've heard that to pass Step 1 you need to know all the high yield material, and to do really well, you need to also know the low yield material. I have a pretty good idea of what is high-yield, but I am wondering if somebody can give examples of questions they've seen that they would consider low yield. Should I assume that "low-yield" ="'not in FA"?

Well, I would describe high yield as things like micro, pharm, pathophys, biochem, and lower yield as things like embryo, histo. (With BS and Anatomy someplace in between). FA covers a mix of higher and lower yield topics amongst the higher and lower yield subjects. You don't want to rely exclusively on FA but not because the material outside of FA is low yield. FA is a barebones outline -- you need other stuff to flesh it out.
      I would argue that you can actually do quite well knowing the high yield subjects well, not just "pass"

lord_jeebus

和魂洋才
      Moderator Emeritus
      15+ Year Member
      Jul 12, 2003
      GMT+9
      1. Attending Physician
        I think all subjects have high yield facts. Some (eg. pharm) have many more than others (eg. embryo).

I think that much, but not all, of the stuff in First Aid is somewhat high yield. There are probably not that many high yield facts that First Aid misses, and you will encounter most of these in question banks.

I agree that the key to a high score is not knowing low yield facts (although there is some of this) as much as being able to use high yield information in novel situations. (eg. realizing that a really hard question is really testing a simple concept in an unusual way)

About the Ads

CanIMakeIt

It will get better once you are...still waiting :)
        15+ Year Member
        Oct 8, 2003
        1. Attending Physician
          I think all subjects have high yield facts. Some (eg. pharm) have many more than others (eg. embryo).

I think that much, but not all, of the stuff in First Aid is somewhat high yield. There are probably not that many high yield facts that First Aid misses, and you will encounter most of these in question banks.

I agree that the key to a high score is not knowing low yield facts (although there is some of this) as much as being able to use high yield information in novel situations. (eg. realizing that a really hard question is really testing a simple concept in an unusual way)

ditto. I second that.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.