High-Yield = ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ngkats

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, the words "high" and "yield" are probably mentioned in combination in one of every two posts in the allo forum. I know what these words mean separately, and I thought I knew what they meant when placed together. But it seems students on here use them in ever expanding and abstract ways and I can't get a grip on it.

Can someone set me straight? I always that that high-yield, in reference to texts, meant presetning detailed pertinent information and zero extraneous information in order to maximize a students mastery of a certain subject or mastery of a certain examination. Am I way off course?

Oh, and is it high-yield or high yield? And can you make your responses to my post high yield please.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It basically means spending your time studying things that will be highly represented on tests.

Reading overly detailed texts and memorizing word for word is probably not high yield and is very time consuming. Reading the syllabus and focusing on what your professors teach is very high yield. There are also lectures that I feel like they'll never test on, that doesn't mean that I spend zero time, but I definitely don't memorize word for word the slides or spend more than 20 minutes going over the slides before the test.

I heard that all the time in my Kaplan MCAT class -- high yield study material, as far as I know, is what covers large amounts of the material you will be seeing on the boards or shelf exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's also the marketing buzzword companies put on their review books in order to sell more copies, and what professors tell students to make them focus on their material. Can't tell you how many times I heard a prof or attending say "This is really high yield stuff, regardless of what field you go into." :sleep:

High yield is a measure of effort versus reward. In terms of studying, here are always certain pieces of information that you need to do well on an exam. The number of those pieces (weighted by their importance) divided by the time spent studying is your yield.

Spending 30 minutes studying and walking away with 75% of the information that may be on the test, but 90% of the information that is certain to be tested is high yield. Spending 30 hours combing through every single detail of what may be on the test is comparatively not high yield.

In short:

yield = (information learned)(average % certainty the information will be tested)/(time spent studying)

High yield is a measure of effort versus reward. In terms of studying, here are always certain pieces of information that you need to do well on an exam. The number of those pieces (weighted by their importance) divided by the time spent studying is your yield.

Spending 30 minutes studying and walking away with 75% of the information that may be on the test, but 90% of the information that is certain to be tested is high yield. Spending 30 hours combing through every single detail of what may be on the test is comparatively not high yield.

In short:

yield = (information learned)(average % certainty the information will be tested)/(time spent studying)

Yes, now I get it. That equation you wrote out was particularly high yield.

But, when a prof says this particular information is high yield, is he/she implying that said material will be heavily tested on or that this ratio (e.g., certainty of showing up on a final to amount of time spent studying) is particularly high?

But, when a prof says this particular information is high yield, is he/she implying that said material will be heavily tested on or that this ratio (e.g., certainty of showing up on a final to amount of time spent studying) is particularly high?

latter

Essentially the same thing. Going back to the equation, you can see that if you increase the "average % certainty the information will be tested" the topic will be tested, you increase the ratio and thus the yield. So if you only have a set amount of time to study, studying this topic (as opposed to a less likely to be tested topic) will increase the yield of your studying...

So, the words "high" and "yield" are probably mentioned in combination in one of every two posts in the allo forum. I know what these words mean separately, and I thought I knew what they meant when placed together. Put it seems students on here use them in ever expanding and abstract ways and I can't get a grip on it.

Can someone set me straight? I always that that high-yield, in reference to texts, meant presetning detailed pertinent information and zero extraneous information in order to maximize a students mastery of a certain subject or mastery of a certain examination. Am I way off course?

Oh, and is it high-yield or high yield? And can you make your responses to my post high yield please.

There are two definitions:

1) high yield: Detailed pertinent information that has zero extraneous stuff. Gives you the most 'bang for your buck.'

2) High Yield: (note the capitalized words) The title of a review book series that is supposed to review the most important information that frequently shows up on tests. [See an example with this link]

Thank you all for the responses.

More questions if you please

As far as high yield texts go, are books that are "officially" BRS the best bet? And since I start my M1 year this fall, I was thinking about going ahead and ordering some BRS books (anatomy, physio, biochem, micro)?

Or are other high-yield texts better (e.g., Lippincott for Biochem, Micro made ridiculously simple, etc.)?

I know this topic has been broached before, but, what the hell, I thought I would ask anyway.

Thank you all for the responses.

More questions if you please

As far as high yield texts go, are books that are "officially" BRS the best bet? And since I start my M1 year this fall, I was thinking about going ahead and ordering some BRS books (anatomy, physio, biochem, micro)?

Or are other high-yield texts better (e.g., Lippincott for Biochem, Micro made ridiculously simple, etc.)?

I know this topic has been broached before, but, what the hell, I thought I would ask anyway.

If you're going to Loyola (which your previous posts would indicate), I wouldn't recommend buying any books just yet. There is a huge used book sale at the beginning of the year where you can buy many of your textbooks off M2s, M3s, & M4s. Also, the Teaching & Learning Center (TLC) has a small library of textbooks available for you to either check out or just flip through to see if they seem worth buying. Additionally, you will be tested not on textbook material, but on the lecture handouts -- so the textbooks are best used as a supplement to clarify/enhance your understanding of the lecture material. There are a few classes I was able to get through with just the lecture notes and a book checked out from the TLC.

If you feel antsy to buy something, I will say that most students bought a copy of The Cell by Alberts for the first class (MCBG). You'll definitely need Netter's Anatomy, and most students bought BRS Physiology. Everything else is mostly a matter of individual taste, and I wouldn't recommend spending your money until you've at least flipped through a book.

Definitely don't buy anything for Micro, Path, Neuro, Behavior/Development, or Pharm just yet -- you won't take those classes until your second year, and a new edition might come out in the meantime.

By the way, congrats on your decision to come to Loyola -- you'll like it here!