Highest ever score on Step 1? Anyone know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

druggeek

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious mainly about this. I heard the highest theoritical score is 300 but has anyone ever even gotten 290 even? And would such a score virtually guarantee you any residency/any where you want?

Members don't see this ad.

All Texas programs can take IMG's from anywhere. We want to keep three or four IM match spots for Mexican grads because of our specific relationship with Mexican health entities. There are IMGs from every country on the map working in Texas after doing their residencies here.

At UT-Houston and MDAnderson we want high quality IMGs, as we see Houston as an international city and the Texas Medical Center as a resource for the world. You will find foreign grads in every department; example:

http://www.uth.tmc.edu/schools/med/imed/Assets/pdf/0708Roster.pdf

Hello, I was searching in the web details from step1, and this forum showed up in my search results, so I couldn't help it to replay this post , because I am an IMG's from Mexico... and would really appriciated if You would give me a little tips about this process.
I recently presented my "degree examen" (in fact, last week) and I will be getting my MD diploma with an Honorable Mention , I have a little research background (one paper and two abstracts presented in international meetings) I am not a first author of neither of this three works; I also have two papers "in process"
.... I've done a 10 month observership rotation in Houston Tx
Do You think I stand a chance to be matched in state of texas? , Or what else You think I need in order to have an strong application form?? I know that for an IMG is crucial have a very good step1 score, I am aiming to score above 240 .

I have no letters of recomendation yet but i will be traveling soon to TX to get some letters because some doctors that I rotated with offered me one.

thank you

A student from my school scored 276/99 in 2008.

Here is the link to his post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=597742

Here is the link to his person:

He doesn't respond to PMs or posts anymore btw. He's not only received 1000s of inquiries from people on SDN, but he's in pathology residency now and has most likely just moved on from what used to be the hype of the USMLE Step1.

I've been following his routine for some time now and am looking to sit the USMLE at the end of this year. I'm praying his formula for success proves itself true.

~Phloston

What? 276 step 1 and he chose pathology?

Edit: Is it because he's doing his residency in the U.S.?

Members don't see this ad :)
IMG/FMGs are not that badly off, choosing an American residency doesn't (yet) "relegate" an IMG with a score like 276 into taking pathology (which plenty of people are actually interested in).