Highest MCAT score not to be accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viper2fast505

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ill start off by saying that my 27m was not good enough for IU medical school, can anyone top that?

Members don't see this ad.

The above attempts at humor... uncool and not funny. Grow up.

Then act like a grown up and offer some advice if you have it to give.

Rawr - get into college. 2 years after you have started college, come back and ask some more questions. Yes, you will have to take the MCAT. The MCAT that you take may be significantly different than the exam that we discuss ad infinitum around here, because in 2015 a new MCAT exam is expected. Best of luck. Make A's in your classes.

The correct answer to your question is...wait for it:

45-t_design.png

Yes, you really can get rejected with a perfect MCAT. Check the MCAT grid for proof. There are actually quite a few with 39+ MCAT scores that get rejected each yr -- around 50/yr (15%). Even the 3.8+/39+s get rejected on occasion (about 2/yr). Keep in mind these are ridiculously rare stats. In terms of percentages, near perfect stats (3.8+/39+) students get rejected about 9% of the time.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
my buddy made a 34R, 3.92 gpa, engineering student of the STATE , and a published paper and didn't get in for an MD/PHD program

my buddy made a 34R, 3.92 gpa, engineering student of the STATE , and a published paper and didn't get in for an MD/PHD program

That's actually not that surprising for an MD/PhD program, though, as the average matriculant to such programs has around a 35. They're pretty much ridiculously competitive programs.

That's actually not that surprising for an MD/PhD program, though, as the average matriculant to such programs has around a 35. They're pretty much ridiculously competitive programs.

That comment makes me so nervous. I've been told that MD-PhD is mostly about great research and a good MD application. I had no idea you needed such great MD App numbers.

That comment makes me so nervous. I've been told that MD-PhD is mostly about great research and a good MD application. I had no idea you needed such great MD App numbers.

Basically, very few people apply who aren't in the top few percentiles. Consider the kinds of people who would apply for MD/PhD (strong academic types who also managed to do a lot of research and loved it and still have the aptitude and interests for medical school). In other words, we're talking about a very special breed of person (and applicant). That is naturally going to lead to ultra-high MCAT scores and GPAs by virtue of the population.

I know someone who came from Berkeley, had a 41 on the MCAT and had a low GPA (3.2) and did not get into a single US med school (only applied MD).