Highest MCAT Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m250

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
More out of curiousity than anything, but what is the highest MCAT score you legitimately know of? I'm not talking about that one guy from that one school who got the mythical 45 years ago that everyone has "heard" about at one point or another...I'm referring to someone who you actually know well (and not a friend of a friend of a friend type of thing either, we all know how the telephone game that you play in 3rd grade works out).

The second reason I ask is I'm curious of the frequency of these "elite" scores. I know quite a few people who got high 30's and a few with 40-41's, but the highest I can accurately verify is a 43.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love how this has turned into the competition of lowest MCAT score instead of highest. Unfortunately, the numbers do include the Caribbean.

My brothers in law school at an ivy and one of his friends little brother got a 45. true story.

Today, I went to check the Pre-Health department of my school and I looked over past records of the GPA, MCAT score, and schools that past students have been accepted to. There were two people who scored 43 and both were matriculating in Mt. Sinai. I could only dream of getting that score...

The scores I know IRL...

32 (myself)

Only 1 rumor at my school of a 40+ MCAT which I know to be false, but I won't rat the kid out if people bring it up.

My pre-med office has a listing of all the students who released their scores to my own school and our school's MCAT average is a 25.5 or something. Highest on the list was a 37, lowest was an 11. I don't know either one.

Yeah, erythropoietin, you might wanna look up a guy on here that goes by the name: shishicd. He not only scored a 44S........but did so after 2007.....:laugh:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The scores I know IRL...

32 (myself)

Only 1 rumor at my school of a 40+ MCAT which I know to be false, but I won't rat the kid out if people bring it up.

My pre-med office has a listing of all the students who released their scores to my own school and our school's MCAT average is a 25.5 or something. Highest on the list was a 37, lowest was an 11. I don't know either one.

That sdn champ with dr cox as his avatar from chicago got a 41

Uhh if you guys want to see 40+ scores walk on over to the 08/23/11 Official MCAT thread. If memory serves correct there were like 4 or 5 kids posting ACTUAL PICTURES of their scores. There is also some kid from a Jan. test two years ago who is like a standardized test guru who got a 40+ TWICE with pics. He said he also took the LSAT and got like a 170. Great test taker and tries to sell his strategies. If I met him in person, I'd pay up personally.

Let's use our MCAT math skills, and remember what a significant figure is, and how rounding works.

The percentiles are all given rounded to the nearest tenth of a percent. From 2009, 0.1% of examinees are said to score a 42, those being contained within the 99.9 - 99.9 percentile. 0.0% of examinees are said to score each of a 43, 44, and 45, also contained within the 99.9 - 99.9 percentile. This doesn't mean that no one scores above a 42. It means that the total number of people scoring above a 42 rounds to 0.0%, not to 0.1%. This suggests that less than 0.05%, or less than 40 people do this well. My feeling is that the number is substantially less than 40 people, but not 0 people.

For scaled scores in the 40s, it's frequently the case that each wrong answer corresponds to a point lost on the scaled score. Let's assume this is the case, and see where it gets us. For examinees scoring in this range, there is a large number of questions, and a very low chance of them missing any given question. We could thus model wrong answers with a Poisson distribution. If there are 80 people with an expected score of 42, and thus an expected number of wrong answers of 3, we can look at the Poisson distribution and see that about 1 in 20, or 4 examinees will, just by luck, get every single question right, and thus a 45. Another 12 or so will, just by luck, miss only a single question, and get a 44. And about 18 will get, by luck, a 43. As a sanity check, consider that we've calculated a total of 34 scores above a 42. This is entirely consistent with the published data, which implies that fewer than 40 examinees score above a 42.

It would actually be really strange and unexpected if no one ever got a 44 or 45. We know that close to a hundred people are getting a 42 each year. How likely is it that none of those bastards gets lucky and misses zero, one, or two questions, instead of three? Pretty unlikely.

All that said, is every reported score on here accurate? Probably not. Some guy on the internet says that his friend's brother got a 44. Is it true? Who knows. Some guy on the internet says that Obama was born in Kenya. Some guy on the internet says that tinfoil hats keep out the satellite waves. Some guy on the internet thinks that everyone cares about the cute thing his cat did the other day. Actually, he's probably right about that one, strangely enough.

:thumbup:

Taking a picture of your score is just ridiculous. Who cares?

hey i was just talking about you above. funny. but yeah i agree... while were talking about it though...do you think i could see a picture of your score?

Last edited:
My two room mates got 31 and 32, which I thought were pretty ballin' scores.
...until I came on here.

My thought process then went something like this;
"Alright, I'm about 60% as smart has room mate X, and about 85% as smart as room mate Y so... yeah, if I work my *** off and have a good day I should get a 26! ... wait... $#&*!!!"

Scores are out on Aug 17th and I could NOT be more nervous. :scared:
(yes, my head is blue and it actually shakes at this point)

Same here.

I've verified a 41 (15 PS/BS, 11 VR).

The highest score from someone I knew was a 36.

Unfortunately they turned down their only medical school acceptance. Which I think is kind of a deal breaker for future applications.

Honestly there's very little difference between a 36 and a 40. Yes it's four MCAT points, but you're talking the difference between top 97 percentile and 99 percentile, which is just 2 percent different.

Basically it means that on any given application cycle, if you have a 36, then there's only going to be about 800 people in the entire country applying with a higher MCAT than you.

I personally know two people, one scored a 44, and the other scored a 41 (but it wasnt his first time though, he scored a 31 at first then a 41).

What I am really interested in knowing is the GPA correlation with the high scores, Ive seen some threads in the WAMC section and sometimes you see people with really low GPAs work real hard, or just perform really well and obtain high scores.

The highest score from someone I knew was a 36.

Unfortunately they turned down their only medical school acceptance. Which I think is kind of a deal breaker for future applications.

Honestly there's very little difference between a 36 and a 40. Yes it's four MCAT points, but you're talking the difference between top 97 percentile and 99 percentile, which is just 2 percent different.

Basically it means that on any given application cycle, if you have a 36, then there's only going to be about 800 people in the entire country applying with a higher MCAT than you.

Unfortunately, this is not true. About 82,000 people take the test every year. A 36 is 95.8-97.3 percentile. This means that about 2.7 percent of people, or approximately 2,214 people score higher than a 36 every year. (based off of 2010 MCAT data)

Quoting a post from 2011, but oh well.

Are you at Baylor? Or Pritzker?

Undergrad = Baylor

Med School = Pritzker

Taking a picture of your score is just ridiculous. Who cares?

hey i was just talking about you above. funny. but yeah i agree... while were talking about it though...do you think i could see a picture of your score?

By the way, I thought this guy's response was funny as hell for some reason, lol!

What drives me insane are the averages going up every year for MD schools. If I had applied when I was in undergrad, pshhh a 30 was a good score. Now my state school is 32-33. Anyways, I know a lot with scores around 34-36 range. That was the average for my major and what I scored on a pratice test not studying back then. Now that I'm taking it for real, I'm getting 30-35(35 is an outlier). My school's average isn't great but to even be a bio major you need a 30 ACT score and the class average is a C+ so a lot of those 30+ ACTers get weeded out by bad grades, so only the super nerds take the test, hence the high average.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this is not true. About 82,000 people take the test every year. A 36 is 95.8-97.3 percentile. This means that about 2.7 percent of people, or approximately 2,214 people score higher than a 36 every year. (based off of 2010 MCAT data)

Oh right I was using the 40,000 application number. But I forgot that's a selected number of people who're applying based on having good scores.

Dang so technically a 30 being ~75% you can expect 20,000 people applying with a 30 or above, which is about the same number of medical school seats there are.

EDIT: Tummytroubles, if you look at the AAMC table, it looks like the number of applicants is approaching a maximum. I think this year you're going to see a decline in the number of applicants since last year due to a variety of reasons. Stats got pushed out too quickly, mid levels are encroaching the medical profession, student debt is increasing, the economy is gaining employment, and the health care field is getting really bad for doctors.

Also a lot of new medical school seats are opening up. You'll probably see average stats go down.

I took the TPR course and the Gen Chem instructor got a 31 or 32 first time after studying for awhile. She was unsatisfied so took some time off, did a light review and banged out a 38. I believe she ended up at hopkins. She was super friendly, smart, and I believe will be a great doctor.
Not all the higher scores = socially inept

I talked to a fellow that went to UCLA med school. She told me she worked in admissions/interviews and said anything above 2 standard deviations of the mean meant almost the same thing

I talked to a fellow that went to UCLA med school. She told me she worked in admissions/interviews and said anything above 2 standard deviations of the mean meant almost the same thing

2 std. is a 37, so that seems about right.

An SDN'er scored 42S, and yes, it was confirmed.

He posted pics, but people claimed that it could be photoshopped.

He then posted a video of him logging into MCAT THx, and it showed his score.
It was a 42S, 14/13/15. (his second time taking the MCAT, first score was in the 30's)

He was pissed off and wanted a 14 or 15 in VR. He said that he could do it and he told me his method of approach. So, he re-took the MCAT and landed a 41S. He was pissed that he only scored a 12 in VR. It's understandable because he thought he came up with a legitimate crack.

He then took the LSAT and scored 179/180. He also posted a screenshot.

Background: Biomedical Engineering.

Current stats: did not go to med school, wanted to be a lawyer, ended up in a Ph.D. program.

He is on SDN, but I won't post his username because he wants to keep it confidential (it's the same as his MCAT THx login).

He showed me his study schedule and it was INTENSE. It also matches the philosophy of a book I am currently reading.

One of the SDN mods scored a 15 in VR. elaine? lorelai?

Must be this guy. :p

collegehumor.1e078917876680f5452b4d4531680794.jpg

Are you talking about the new exam? Because nobody got a 45, yet a 44, since 07.

Anyways, I know a couple people that got in the 40-42 range.

My brothers in law school at an ivy and one of his friends little brother got a 45. true story.

Honestly in real life, 31. Before SDN I thought this was insane.

Sent from my LePanII using SDN Mobile

I know a handful of people who got 40's from my school, and one who got 42 I believe (now at harvard, no surprise there lol).

Highest I have ever seen was a 37 and the person will be attending Harvard in the fall. Besides that, I have seen one 34 and a 30 both from other students that have been accepted. I accidentally saw a 21 once. The person forgot to log out of the website, over even close the window, when they used my computer. I felt really bad for them.
But seriously, a 33 is in the top 90th percentile, which means 90% of people get below that. However, the curve is very sharp at that point. A 28, just five points away, is just above the 50th percentile.