Highest Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USMELL

FIRE
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the highest score one can get on the boards?

Members don't see this ad.

USMELL said:
What is the highest score one can get on the boards?
according to some school's websites

a 300 is theoretically possible, but above 280 is virtually unheard of

I've never heard of anything out of the 270s

I don't know if there actually is a theoretical "perfect score" or whether that's just a myth. Based on the scoring system I'd guess myth--its standardized to make the mean ~215 every year, so the top score possible should change every year depending on the % correct of the mean.

Example.
If one year (call it 'strong year') the mean % correct is 87% and you get 100%, you're probably not too many SD above that mean and your 3 digit score wouldn't be that high, say a 250.

Next year ('weak year') the mean % correct is 60% and you still got 100% right. This year you're many more SDs above that mean, so your three digit score is higher, say a 280.

So you got 100% right (theoretical highest score) in both 'strong' and 'weak' year, but your three digit score was higher one year compared to the other. Obviously the %correct of the mean doesn't vary that much from year to year, but I did it to illustrate a point--that the top 3 digit score possible should vary from test cycle to test cycle.

velo said:
I've never heard of anything out of the 270s.

nrosigh posted a score of 282, but I don't believe it cause he was still taking NBME's 3 weeks after I sat for the USMLE and he got his "282" back before I got my score...

Members don't see this ad :)
velo said:
I've never heard of anything out of the 270s

I don't know if there actually is a theoretical "perfect score" or whether that's just a myth. Based on the scoring system I'd guess myth--its standardized to make the mean ~215 every year, so the top score possible should change every year depending on the % correct of the mean.

Example.
If one year (call it 'strong year') the mean % correct is 87% and you get 100%, you're probably not too many SD above that mean and your 3 digit score wouldn't be that high, say a 250.

Next year ('weak year') the mean % correct is 60% and you still got 100% right. This year you're many more SDs above that mean, so your three digit score is higher, say a 280.

So you got 100% right (theoretical highest score) in both 'strong' and 'weak' year, but your three digit score was higher one year compared to the other. Obviously the %correct of the mean doesn't vary that much from year to year, but I did it to illustrate a point--that the top 3 digit score possible should vary from test cycle to test cycle.

Against what cohort of examinees are one's scores standardised? If I did my exam say in May 2007 will I be compared with the previous year's results?

My understanding is that the 3 digit score is not standardized to achieve any particular mean. Rather, the test is designed so that a given 3 digit score indicates the same level of performance regardless of the year the test was taken. So, a cohort with higher ability can cause the mean score to increase. Similarly a strong cohort does not impact one's prospects at achieving any given high score.

The NBME did away with percentiles because they could not be used to meaningfully compare testtakers from different years. They would not use a 3 point score based on a fixed mean.

Hey BND,

It was 273...

Test date 6/20, score reported 7/12.

BlackNDecker said:
nrosigh posted a score of 282, but I don't believe it cause he was still taking NBME's 3 weeks after I sat for the USMLE and he got his "282" back before I got my score...

nrosigh said:
Hey BND,

It was 273...

Test date 6/20, score reported 7/12.
Without fail every year someones score comes into question. 2 years ago it was Big frank's 267, so he posted a picture of his score report. Last year it was Saco's 269, so he posted a picture also. This year well it be nrosigh. If you do haters will say you are insecure for posting it on an anonymous web site, or that you photo shoped it. If you don't the haters will say it wasn't true to begin with. :confused: