highest yield undergrad classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hrastio24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know everyone on this forum says not to pre-study but since I gotta take some upper-div bio classes anyway, what classes will benefit me the most? I'm already taking anatomy and physiology, biochem and genetics. I have to take exactly 3 more. Recommendations? And rank 'em in order of importance.

Members don't see this ad.

A seminar based on reading and analyzing lots of primary literature. Terrific experience, whether or not you're involved in research yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
tumblr_mjh64tTBHf1qetpu1o1_250.gif

Oh god, I'm having a vision... A year from now... A student... hrastio24... Complaining about how unfair it is that people with easier majors have higher sGPAs... We need to stop him before it's too late!

I remember Goro listed classes that would be most useful for a premed, and especially for someone taking the MCAT. I don't remember them all, but here they are (listed in order of usefulness in my opinion):

-Biochemistry
-Genetics (especially molecular genetics)
-Cell biology
-Developmental biology/embryology
-Microbiology
-Neuroscience courses (developmental, electrophysiology, cognitive)
-Anatomy & physiology
-Immunology

Oh god, I'm having a vision... A year from now... A student... hrastio24... Complaining about how unfair it is that people with easier majors have higher sGPAs... We need to stop him before it's too late!
It's the circle of SDN, and it moves us aaaallll.

Reactions: 1 user
I know everyone on this forum says not to pre-study but since I gotta take some upper-div bio classes anyway, what classes will benefit me the most? I'm already taking anatomy and physiology, biochem and genetics. I have to take exactly 3 more. Recommendations? And rank 'em in order of importance.

I did all the following as electives and enjoyed every one. Immunology required the most time (lots of brute memory). I can't really rank them. :unsure:

-Biochemistry(1)(2)(3)
-Cell bio
-Microbiology
-Immunology
- Bio-statistics
- several bio related seminars

Instrumental Conducting and Lit, bass lessons, upper level stats, and Experimental Social Psych. My fellow incoming MS1s have nothing on me.

My undergrad offered a course in the science of making beer.

The two classes that I felt truly helped were

1. Comparative Anatomy: Kind of a cross between gross anatomy and embryology. Gives a really solid Latin foundation, you'll learn a decent bit of embryo and just enough anatomy that you won't be completely lost in Gross lab.

2. Immunology. My undergrad course basically covered the immuno portion of our Micro course in med school.

I didn't take Histo in undergrad--a lot of people said that med school was cake after taking histo in undergrad.

Undergrad Micro teaches you some bigger concepts that will help translate--but the reality is you're going to learn 1,000 bugs and their toxins and yada yada, and basic undergrad micro just isn't that in depth.

I took Cell Bio 100-400 in college. I think it covered 1/2 of the 1st test in Histo and maybe touched a little Biochem. Yeah, you need to understand DNA, RNA, protein yada yada. Your cell bio 100 hits that. You don't need it 3 more times.

I took Biochem 1 in undergrad--it gives you a bit of a foundation, but I don't think you're any worse off for having not had it.

I took animal physiology--which is actually VERY helpful. The thing is, I had covered physiology in about 10 different bio courses throughout college. I'm not sure you need a formal course. But, it would be the 3rd course I'd recommend.

Undergrad genetics is a waste IMHO. Most people learn how to do the Mendellian square in high school. And then all you really need to get through medical genetics is that + understanding X-linked. They're going to teach you about the genetics of fruit flies and spicy peppers and chickens combs. If you're a bio major--it's not that bad a class. But it isn't going to make a significant difference.

Besides A+P and Biochemistry, which would you guys say is a must-take course before medical school?

my attempt to steal this thread for a bit...

Should I take these class after I have sent my application or have taken/currently enrolling in them?
-some people tell me its good to show you can handle med-school classes while others tell me you need to get easy A's and show you are a more rounded individual.

will be a junior this Fall, will submit applications the end of junior year, plan to matriculate fall 2016

I don't have any personal experience in this matter, but I've heard that it's essential to take neurobiology before med school simply because it's enormously complex and you won't understand any of it if you didn't have prior exposure