Hiring techs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maria1oh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering would you hire a tech if they had a bad references? What are your hiring standards for techs? I'm in retail but I'd love to hear from hospital pharmacists as well.
We could use a tech but at the same time I don't want to hire just anybody and feel like an idiot when they quit showing up.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting topic, we had someone who didn't pass a question on their entrance survey for the job, but our pharmacy manager went through great lengths to get them hired regardless. Even went to the DM to get an over-ride for it. Once the tech was hired, she clearly wasn't equipped for the job (given about three weeks doing it, she didn't have a grasp on the system and wasn't picking up any of the info); she then started "calling in sick".

Three to four days of this, and we finally received notice that she put in her two weeks. She was still scheduled for days even though she had two weeks left, and didn't show. Needless to say, biggest WASTE OF TIME ever. Don't just hire anyone, this is coming from someone who has worked retail. I'm sure it's not uncommon though. The pharmacy manager just didn't have a good sense of judgment, especially with something as simple as an entrance survey.

I wouldn't hire the person if they have a bad reference or no references. I also ask the person one of those questions that test their ability to think on-the-spot. I wish I could ask them to do a math problem, but I don't think that's ethical, lol. I have had so many techs (not my hires) that totally suck at math and can't even figure out the days' supply on a 150 mL bottle of cetirizine at 1 tsp per day. I also check out their social media presence so I can see how they act online.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I always ask math questions. 30 tabs , 3 a day, how many days would it last is a standard interview question for me. Extremely illuminating.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I always ask math questions. 30 tabs , 3 a day, how many days would it last is a standard interview question for me. Extremely illuminating.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
It's sad that you even have to ask people that. Lol.

I wouldn't hire the person if they have a bad reference or no references. I also ask the person one of those questions that test their ability to think on-the-spot. I wish I could ask them to do a math problem, but I don't think that's ethical, lol. I have had so many techs (not my hires) that totally suck at math and can't even figure out the days' supply on a 150 mL bottle of cetirizine at 1 tsp per day. I also check out their social media presence so I can see how they act online.

YES! Definitely check their social media presence. Sloppy people are sloppy at everything they do. A sloppy Facebook page likely means a sloppy and careless technician.

Just wondering would you hire a tech if they had a bad references? What are your hiring standards for techs? I'm in retail but I'd love to hear from hospital pharmacists as well.
We could use a tech but at the same time I don't want to hire just anybody and feel like an idiot when they quit showing up.

I think it would depend on what kind of bad reference. If the negative comment is about work ethic, lack of interest, being late, excessively calling in sick, drug diversion, sure, that's a no go without even having to check the other references they give you.

If it's more of a personality complaint, then I'd make sure to ask about how well the applicant for along with others when I call the other references.