You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Histology or Medical Embryology?
Started by Smem358
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
My school offers both Histology and Medical Embryology. Which course do you all think is more beneficial in helping out in med school? Any M1 or M2 with insight would be appreciated!
Not M1 or M2... but I took both. If you can take both, do both for sure. But if the choice is between one only... I would recommend histo (cuz it's super cool). If you haven't taken anatomy yet though, take embryo, it will make anatomy that much easier when you do get there.
^^ Agree to disagree. But I dont personally feel as though either course would help you to any real degree. Granted both are cool courses! I took embryo once in grad school and histology twice once in undergrad and once in grad school and it didnt help at all in med school.
Take the course you will ENJOY more...not which will potentially help you in med school.
Take the course you will ENJOY more...not which will potentially help you in med school.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took both in undergrad and found both to be helpful in med school. I was able to take a placement test and pass out of Histology at the med school level (not all schools offer this potential though).
My school offers both Histology and Medical Embryology. Which course do you all think is more beneficial in helping out in med school? Any M1 or M2 with insight would be appreciated!
Either would be fine since you'll be taking both of those subjects in med school. I think it would be beneficial to have taken these subjects before. I took two Anatomy courses in college, both of which had Histology sections, and so far, the material in my med school's Histo class has been review. But I just started my first year and we don't start Anatomy until Nov, so I couldn't comment on Embryology.
The classes are definitely different in med school. Biochemistry has been way more in-depth and clinically-oriented compared to the college Biochem course I took. But I would say it has been helpful to have background.
Histology is pretty easy--I'm doing fine without ever taking it in undergrad. At least at my school, embryo is supposed to be a monster, but we don't start it for another 3 weeks, so I can't say from personal experience. I wouldn't worry about getting histo in during undergrad, but if you can get embryo it'll probably be helpful.
I never researched the issue, but these days I agree it is likely closer to being "only a few."I'm gonna guess that you were being generous when saying "not all" schools offer the opportunity. 😉
You guys actually thought histo/embryo was a help? Interesting...but then again histo/embryo were s a pretty big joke when compared with the rest of the M1 courses. I still stand by my statement to take the course that you think will the the most interesting to you (and thus you will probably get a better grade).
I think histo would probably be useful. Embryo (at least in our curriculum), though present in every module, is a pretty minor point.
I think histo would probably be useful. Embryo (at least in our curriculum), though present in every module, is a pretty minor point.
There's only one fact you need to know for embryo. Babies are like T-rexes. They have big heads and little arms. Nuff said.
Embryology. Histo is easy and you'll forget most of it anyway.
Embryology. Histo is easy and you'll forget most of it anyway.
You will?
I thought I needed to remember it forever for Path 🙁
I've heard medical students say that histology is a very difficult course, but one that is necessary for success during rotations. So I'd think histology.
I've heard medical students say that histology is a very difficult course, but one that is necessary for success during rotations. So I'd think histology.
Histo is BY FAR the easiest M1 class you take FYI.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Histo is BY FAR the easiest M1 class you take FYI.
If it's anything like A&P histology, then I'm not surprised. Not to mention histology slides are pretty little pieces of art.
Histology was an awesome class. Personally, I felt most of it was intuitive. You start recognizing structures and all of a sudden you know what the function is and therefor what the tissue is. I wouldn't mind taking an embryology course though, think that would be useful.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 345