Historical US News ranking data?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unfrozencaveman

not a dude
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have the US news rankings for years previous?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
desiredusername said:

Thanks much- incredibly helpful.

It would be interesting to see how much change actually goes on in these rankings from year to year.

I was wondering the same thing. I mean, among residency directors, what will the value of a school be in 4 years? It would be nice to readily avoid a falling school, but nary a school advertises themselves as "Increasingly Mediocre!" Based on a cursory glance, not too much changes. Top schools are usually top schools and then there's the whole debate about how valuable these rankings really are anyway. That's an ugly can of worms I don't want to address.

desiredusername said:
I was wondering the same thing. I mean, among residency directors, what is the value of a school going to be in 4 years? It would be nice to readily avoid a falling school, but nary a school advertises themselves as "Increasingly Mediocre!" Based on a cursory glance, not too much changes. Top schools are usually top schools and then there's the whole debate about how valuable these rankings really are anyway. That's an ugly can of worms I don't want to address.
I agree. The top schools will for the most part stay on top. The rest will have some slight shifting but unless they make a point to raise standards or bring in twice as much NIH $$$$ they prolly won't change all that much over a 4-5 year period.

10+ years might be different.

Caveman- most interesting two points comparing the '00 and the current rankings...UM fell 7 spots while Pitt rose 8. Kind of strange about UM, don't you think?

MrBurns10 said:
Caveman- most interesting two points comparing the '00 and the current rankings...UM fell 7 spots while Pitt rose 8. Kind of strange about UM, don't you think?

Stop pretending I got into Pitt... you're jinxing me!

ok, back to pretending I got into Pitt- Pitt's new president is the old prez of the NIH, or something like that, so presumably their rise through the ranks is due to a massive research $ influx. And looking at the table, wow, that seems to be the case.

I'm surprised though that Miami isn't on the up and up.

unfrozencaveman said:
Stop pretending I got into Pitt... you're jinxing me!

ok, back to pretending I got into Pitt- Pitt's new president is the old prez of the NIH, or something like that, so presumably their rise through the ranks is due to a massive research $ influx. And looking at the table, wow, that seems to be the case.

I'm surprised though that Miami isn't on the up and up.
I kind of wish that rankings didn't take into account research funds, because seeing as how I and most med school applicants want to be clinicians, that shiznit doesn't matter nearly as much as quality of teaching, clinical opportunities and training, etc. But I agree with you, I'm really surprised UM dropped.

New idea: We move Pitt to Miami, thereby having warm weather and the beach while we attend their med school. Actually, let's just move everything in Pittsburgh down to Miami. Nothing like getting tan (ok, off-white) at the beach before going to a Steelers game, followed by me stalking Big Ben and him filing yet another restraining order. Is there a limit to the number of those one person can get?

Any ideas why Stanford and Yale have dropped since '00? Yale's weird grading? Stanford's pomposity?

I think those schools dropped because the rankings are sort of worthless. But feel free to come up with other ways to insult schools. Give me a few hours and I'll even help!

I wonder if these ratings really go beyond research funding at all- the rest of the stuff doesnt seem to have a big impact on their moving around. Take for example Rochester, who overhauled the curriculum to have the most innovated curriculum in medicine (at the time), with the double-helix thing. And look what happened. Zilch.