Step I HIV treatments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

username456789

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel like FA is probably woefully inadequate with HIV treatments (for ex, no mention of the common treatment combos). To what extent should we probably know anything beyond FA?
 
obviously this is coming straight outta my ass, but I would imagine that common s/e's and mechanisms of action for the main drugs of each treatment class should be enough. I don't think FA has some of the newer drugs (enfuvirtide, maraviroc, raltegravir) but I'd know those too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It did seem light on the HIV drugs. But yeah, you hit it, Raltegravir and Maraviroc.

Maraviroc Obama, is a CCR5 antagonist, blocks HIV entry into cell.

Raltegravir is an integrase inhibitor.

Both are cool drugs, wouldn't be surprised if they tried to blind side us with them on boards. Will add those for FA 2011 or 2012. 🙂
 
It did seem light on the HIV drugs. But yeah, you hit it, Raltegravir and Maraviroc.

Maraviroc Obama, is a CCR5 antagonist, blocks HIV entry into cell.

Raltegravir is an integrase inhibitor.

Both are cool drugs, wouldn't be surprised if they tried to blind side us with them on boards. Will add those for FA 2011 or 2012. 🙂
definitely adding those to my FA
 
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? The Pharmaceutical industry sure changes things REAL fast (and puts us into trouble too).

If you'd like a much better perspective, hit Katzung and Trevor Board Review series. Slightly complex discussion but make your own notes and write the usual drugs alongwith their major side effects. For instance, the fact that Tenofovir is a NucleoTide RTI, not a Nucleoside RTI! You'd find other really cool facts e.g. Foscarnet is a phosphonoformate derivative not requiring phosphorylation by either Herpes TK or Cellular Kinases.

Very cool facts and I won't be surprised if some of these actually appear in the exam! Can't trust those examiners.