SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

HK Doctor Salary

Discussion in 'China and Eastern Asia' started by Biologyman, May 17, 2007.

  1. Biologyman

    Biologyman New Member

    Mar 31, 2006
    Hi, guys. I was just reading on some of the posts here in this forum and was interested in learning more about practicing medicin in HK. It appears many there are many of us here who are US docs want to go back to HK to practice medicine. So, what are some of the benefits of going back other than it is HK. What is the salary say for an internist? What is the growth potential of the medical field in HK? Why is it worth to repeat taking license exams, going through med school again, and residency again to go back? It is certainly not a easy task to become a practicing physician in HK, but I just want to know what are some good and bad in terms of practicing medicine in US vs HK? In another words, "what's in it for me?" to go through all the hassles? More respect? Less legal problems? More Money? I am sure the work load is probably more so in HK than US. Your comments are welcome! :)
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Biologyman

    Biologyman New Member

    Mar 31, 2006
    Are there anyone in there who are US physicians who wants to become licensed in HK? Please share your experiences.
  4. Biologyman

    Biologyman New Member

    Mar 31, 2006
    Come on guys, there has to has have someone who knows the answer to this question. Unless no one here lives in HK. Lets make this forum a little more exciting yea? It feels a little dead, lets get some discussions going..
  5. bleary

    bleary 2+ Year Member

    May 11, 2007
    Bio man...

    I wonder y nobody is replying to ur post too......
  6. bunyeah


    May 24, 2007
    i guess no one knows the answer to this question hahah
    no one worked in the US and then go to HK to practice perhaps? or just that HK docs are too busy to be on this forum HAHAHAH
  7. anugrah84


    Jun 4, 2007
    hello all,
    i m a new user of this forum.
    i will be very grateful n thankful if somebody will tell me abt the procedure to get a job as a doctor or how to open a private hospital in china.
    i am medical student of 3rd year at hainan medical college,haikou city,hainan province,P.R.china.
    If anybody will tell me about the liciencing examination to be a registered doc in china.Is the foriegn students passed from medical college of china is eligible to write that exam?
    the medium of exam is english??????
    i m needful to know about the liciencing exam.
    my email id is [email protected].
  8. stillapplying

    stillapplying Junior Member 5+ Year Member

    Jan 3, 2006
    It seems you should be able to ask your school these questions. Be persistent. Don't stop until they have told you. If no one there knows right now they can certainly find out. To me I think that is your best bet and probably more reliable than anything you will learn here.

    Also, try contacting the Chinese consulate/embassy in your country and see what they have to say. Call up a couple times. Once with your story and then alter it a little. For example, I'm a student in China...I'm a doctor that graduated in India how do I come to China to work/open a clinic etc. Between those two you should be able to find out what you need.

    Good luck.
  9. blazenmadison

    blazenmadison 10+ Year Member

    Jan 27, 2006
    this is nothing officially
    but i heard that salaries are less compared to the US.

    Physicians in HK have a bachelor of medicine degree unlike the United States system. Correct me if I am wrong.
  10. Meatwad

    Meatwad Reformed 7+ Year Member

    Jan 19, 2007
    Yes, they receive an MBBS. This is, however, equivelant to a US MD. HKU Medical School is very good and is ranked high up on a lot of countries' rankings of int'l med schools.
  11. mike_mike

    mike_mike New Member

    May 8, 2006
    The LMCHK application package contains a list of recognized medical schools of universities in China
    There're several criterias you have to meet before applying the exam.

    BTW i'm a yr4 medical student from China,
    all the best.
  12. wetoasis


    Jul 20, 2007
    After living in United States, I went back to Hong Kong to go through medical school, so I guess I have some ideas of what it is like in both worlds. To answer your first question, the starting salary, in the public section, is about 50,000 HKD per month and a doctor with ten years of experience is about 100,000 HKD per month. If one has enough qualification, he can get much more in the private sector, but I donot know how much that would be. Keep in mind that the maximum tax rate in Hong Kong is 15%, whereas that of United States is about 30%. After taking into account of the taxation and inflation, I would say they are comparable. Perhaps, that is why I dont hear people taking the USMLE to go practice in United States.

    To practice in HK, there is an inherit prerequsite to be a doctor here. you must know how to speak cantonese because 99% of patient speak not mandrain, not english, but cantonese. With a US MD, I heard you need to take a test called HKMLE, which is considered to be pretty hard. After that, you need to go through one year of internship. Alternatively, you can get a position in one of the universities here. To a certain extent, you can practice as a professor, but I do not know about the conpensation nor the limitations. There are quite a few Indian doctor teaching radiology here for some reasons. (Well I guess radiology does not need as much patient interactions)

    Whether you want to practice here ultimately, in my opinion, depends on whether you like it here in HK.
  13. stillapplying

    stillapplying Junior Member 5+ Year Member

    Jan 3, 2006
    It seems to me he wants to practise on the mainland and not in HK. He just posted in an HK thread because it wasrelatively active and he thought it would be seen. I think the exam you are talking about is for HK, right? I don't think that is what he is thinking.

    BTW, which school do you go to?

    I'll be starting on the mainland soon.

    Good luck.

Share This Page