Hmm... possible ACT -> MCAT conversion/predictor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lacipart

M1 at UW-Madison
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stumbled across this strange correlation. In my school the average ACT is a 26, and it seems that the average MCAT is like a 25. Upon further questioning of half a dozen seniors and my brothers I collected this data

ACT: 29 | MCAT: 27 | Difference: -2
ACT: 30 | MCAT: 29 | Difference: -1
ACT: 32 | MCAT: 30 | Difference: -2
ACT: 27 | MCAT: 25 | Difference: -2
ACT: 29 | MCAT: 29 | Difference: -0
ACT: 34 | MCAT: 32 | Difference: -2
ACT: 26 | MCAT: 24 | Difference: -2
ACT: 27 | MCAT: 26 | Difference: -1
ACT: 31 | MCAT: 28 | Difference: -3

Seems like on average MCAT is about your ACT score minus two. Any thoughts?

For SAT people, SAT:ACT Table

Members don't see this ad.

doubtful...at least for me. i got a 24 on my ACTs, but ive been gettin 33+ on my practice exams. guess ill see on test day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got 31 ACT and my most recent kaplan full length was 32. I will buck your trend!

Different test styles, IMO. Its been 5 years since the ACT so I dont quite remember, but obviously there was nearly no knowledge that needed to be brought into the exam, just an analytical mind.

I would be interested to see the reading section vs verbal.

I got a 34 reading but just 9 VR....

A friend of mine got a 28 ACT, 34 MCAT

there goes your trend :p (which I'm happy about, I don't want a 27 MCAT!!!)​

I got a 24 on the act, just got my April mcat back and was worried this thread was going to hold true but I got a 30. So maybe there is a correlation but it doesn't always hold true.

28 on the ACT and 33 on the MCATs. Of course, I took them 12 years apart, so I would be surprised if there was any kind of correlation.

32 ACT --> 36 MCAT.

So the data added so far in this thread makes it look like your MCAT should be plus or minus 4 points of your ACT... Wow, knowing that would have changed everything! :smuggrin:

I'd advise no one of putting any guff into a "predictor." Being someone who bought into it at one point, I think it's just a ploy for people with higher ACTs to justify to themselves less studying for the MCAT.

I never took the ACT....I want a SAT predictor!
This was my previous MCAT regression post N=~60

I am applying to medschool for 2008 and am currently finishing my masters in I/O psych (statistics). I couldnt resist plugging the numbers in SPSS... heres what they say:

Significant Correlation of .419 , so the scores are positively related.

To predict your score from our sample: .013*(your SAT score) + 15.651

So I got a 1250 on the SAT, I could expect around a 31.901

This was my previous MCAT regression post N=~60

I am applying to medschool for 2008 and am currently finishing my masters in I/O psych (statistics). I couldnt resist plugging the numbers in SPSS... heres what they say:

Significant Correlation of .419 , so the scores are positively related.

To predict your score from our sample: .013*(your SAT score) + 15.651

So I got a 1250 on the SAT, I could expect around a 31.901

That predicted me about 4 points lower than I actually scored. I agree with others. There's too many variables.