Hmmm...is it a bad idea...

Started by MissMary
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MissMary

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
to ask a professor you had for a one semester summer course for a recommendation? I have several recommendations, but only one of them is from a Sci professor. From what I read, I might need to have two. I have already graduated but won't be applying for med school until next summer. I can't imagine asking one of my prior sci professors for a rec, so should I consider taking a course over the summer and getting a rec from them? (Because I work full-time and will be taking the MCAT in April, I don't intend to take any courses during the Spring semester)
 
I asked a prof who i had only had for 1 semester for a letter, he said he wasn't comfortable writing letters unless he's had me for a full year - so I took another class from him, and he wrote me a really good one. Never hurts to ask, in my opinion - so go for it.
 
Ask him. One of my sci prof I had for only one semester was more than happy to write the letter, but another told me he didn't know enough about me (even though I b.s. his head off for an entire year)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ask him. i went to a professor i had a class with once a week three years ago, he tortured me for 2 hours and wrote a great letter. if he hesitates then dont use it.
 
Yeah, I'd ask. I asked a prof I had over the summer for orgo and he said he'd love to. I think many profs from courses like this know why you're there, and they're used to being asked.
 
but the question is, does he know enough about you to write you a good LOR from so little time?