Hofstra vs. Cinncinati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purpleguys99999

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm waiting on a couple waitlists but right now my decision is between Hofstra and University of Cinncinati. Waiting on financial aid for both, but for the time being, let us assume the costs are the same.

Hofstra

Pros:
Access to the NYC area, but located outside it so rent isn't outrageous
Case-based learning curriculum as opposed to lectures (for me, this is a pro)
Good match list, but you'll see this repeated for Cinncinati as well
Reputation is on an upward trend
access to Northwell Health

Cons:
Newer school so less established/well known by residency directors
School is separate from clinical sites
didn't vibe as well as Cinncinati did on their interview day, but honestly don't know how much weight to put on this factor.

Cincinnati

Pros:
Well established
Good match list
Reputation is currently better then hofstra among residency directors, but doesn't seem to have an upward trend since its old
clinical sites are connected to the med school
not outrageous rent

Cons:
Lecture-based learning dominates
not as many early clinical opportunities
some internal competition for research it seems
slightly prefer hofstra's location

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Where do you want to end up in the future? That preference could have an impact. Cincinnati does seem to have a much better rank though, but the resources at Hofstra being near NYC could play a major role

Reactions: 1 user
Where do you want to end up in the future? That preference could have an impact. Cincinnati does seem to have a much better rank though, but the resources at Hofstra being near NYC could play a major role
I'm not sure exactly what speciality I'll be interested in, but the one I've been thinking about most often is internal medicine into a cardiology fellowship. I am also interested in health policy. In terms of location, I see myself practicing in New England when all is said and done.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure exactly what speciality I'll be interested in, but the one I've been thinking about most often is internal medicine into a cardiology fellowship. I am also interested in health policy. In terms of location, I see myself practicing in New England when all is said and done.
Take a look at Hofstra's match list. They seem to be matching well in IM, so I don't see ranking being a big factor for you in that regard. Wouldn't be hard to match into NYC or NE program. Cinci's matches are great, but lots of midwest. Again, this may have to do with student preference, but Cinci definitely has a great reputation in midwest, and Hofstra's is growing quickly in the northeast.