MCW vs Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCW vs Hofstra

• MCW

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Hofstra

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters

throwaway898

Reaction score
Medical College of Wisconsin
Pros
  • Can live in downtown Milwaukee
  • More established
  • Lots of flexibility (8hrs in person time per week, 15-17 hours total mandatory, lots of weeks off integrated into the curriculum )
  • Midwestern friendliness
  • Consistently good vibes from admin/students
  • Pass Fail (M3/M4 may also become pass fail)
  • Lots of research opportunities
  • 1.5 year preclinical
Neutral
  • Core Clerkships (2-8 weeks): IM, FM, OBGTN, Anestesia, Surgery, Peds, Psych; Flexible acting internships
  • 30k annual for COL
Cons
  • Currently 370k COA and not sending fin aid packages till after May 1st :mad:
  • Wisconsin Winters
  • PBL curriculum is brand new, likely growing pains
  • AOA based on essays in addition to grades
Hofstra Zucker School of Medicine
Pros
  • 45 min train ride from Manhattan/Friends
  • Very impressive match list this year
  • Can do rotations in Manhattan
  • Can live in queens
  • Pass Fail M1-M2
  • Qualify for medicaid while a student in New York (budget would go farther)
  • 280k COA
Neutral
  • Core Clerkships (6 weeks): IM, Neurology, OBGYN, Surgery, Peds, Psych; required Acting internships in EM and ICU
  • 45k annual for COL
Cons
  • NYC might be fun but Long Island/suburban northeast sounds like a drag
  • Students seemed sorta unhappy on interview day and one of my interviews was a stress test which I was very much not a fan of -> bad vibes
  • Weaker research
  • Significantly more mandatory time: Required in person classes M-F 20-25 hrs/week which I would also have to commute to :(
  • 2+ year preclinical seems very behind the times given step 1 pass fail, it is my understanding that this also drags on year 4 since you are required to do EM and CCU acting internships during away/elective time (giving you less time for aways in your specialty of interest)
Summary: Overall feels like MCW is a better curricular/vibe fit but unsure if its worth a 100k difference in COA especially when I could get substantially more money for cost of living at Hofstra and be in a cooler city.
Note: Interested in surgical sub-specialties. Waitlisted at UNC/Case Western and would likely take either given an offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like June 5th CTE deadline for MCW vs July 1st CTE for Hofstra (although both Case and UNC have the large majority of their WL movement done by the end of May).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I lean towards Hofstra as it is cheaper and you don’t want to be the first class to go through PBL. Hopefully you hear back good news from the other 2 next month.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd choose MCW as well unless Hofstra offers you more money between now and end of month (or you deplore snow). Keep in mind that Chicago is next door in case Milwaukee ever gets boring to you for fun. PBL ain't as bad as people make it sound to be, even if you are first to do it at MCW. Flexibility is HUGE in both med school and clerkship requirements.