HOLD status...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wrong_answer

大夫
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I see many people saying they're on "hold". Is that an official status, or is it where you think you are if you haven't been granted an interviewed or rejected outright? My status at every school is: "your application is being reviewed" or "your application is complete, but your status is unknown"

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, there's a frustrating hold process. UCSD put me on it, with the notification that I'm on "hold" for an interview.

Yeah, it's an official status. I got an email saying "the Committee has placed your application on hold for future review." It means they won't give me an interview now, but they might review my application again later.

I also have applications complete and being reviewed at other schools, but they haven't told me that I'm on hold. I'm not sure though if I should assume I'm on hold if I didn't get an interview yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I see many people saying they're on "hold". Is that an official status, or is it where you think you are if you haven't been granted an interviewed or rejected outright? My status at every school is: "your application is being reviewed" or "your application is complete, but your status is unknown"

Ahh, the official "We think you suck, but only sorta" status.

Pritzker sent me an official hold email :)thumbdown), although some schools send holds out via snail mail....and I think some just never say anything....

Ahh, the official "We think you suck, but only sorta" status.

Pritzker sent me an official hold email :)thumbdown), although some schools send holds out via snail mail....and I think some just never say anything....

thats amazing that you got put on hold lol
yea.. hold is brutal. Id rather be rejected

And then there is Michigan, whose status page says:
Your file is under review. Reviews may take up to several months and could include some "on hold" time while we compare files of groups of applicants. You can view the checkboxes on this screen to see which of your materials we have received (allow 3 weeks for delivery and recording of materials you have sent). If you took the August MCAT, reviews are likely to begin in November and December.

And then there is Michigan, whose status page says:
Your file is under review. Reviews may take up to several months and could include some "on hold" time while we compare files of groups of applicants. You can view the checkboxes on this screen to see which of your materials we have received (allow 3 weeks for delivery and recording of materials you have sent). If you took the August MCAT, reviews are likely to begin in November and December.

Awesome. The "our silence may or may not indicate a hold" hold.... :thumbup:

This process is beginning to feel like we're trying to rush a super exclusive frat....

Awesome. The "our silence may or may not indicate a hold" hold.... :thumbup:

This process is beginning to feel like we're trying to rush a super exclusive frat....

I feel like med school might be harder than getting into a frat.

Anyway, yeah, a hold sucks, and I almost would prefer to be rejected, because then I could start lying to myself and coming up with reasons why I never wanted to go to UCSD anyway, and start hating them. But instead, we have to keep pretending we care in hopes that if we do get an interview, well be able to answer a "why UCSD?" question.