hold vs waitlist

Started by Suz177
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Suz177

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there a difference between hold and waitlist? I got a letter from CWRU saying they are putting me in the hold pile for further review throughout the year. This was after my interview, btw.
 
Sometimes a hold, at least with the UCs, means that they're waiting to send you an interview invite or secondary. That's the only time I think there's a difference. After you've interviewed and you haven't been rejected or accepted...you're on a waitlist and being held.
 
I got the same HOLD from CWRU (kinda bummed because I interviewed so well and they were so complementary towards me). I think another school explained to me what it meant. A HOLD means that in every session that the ADCOM meets to discuss the recent interviewed candidates....they also discuss the HOLD people and amongst all of them..... send out acceptances.

I think a wait-list is more of a thing where you are ranked somewhere on it and wait until that many people before you withdraw. Then you will be accepted. Usually, wait-list start in April or May.

Hope that helps and I not sure if it is all fact.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do they do holds instead of a waitlist or can you be placed on them for different reasons?
 
I've heard that all applicants that aren't accepted are put on hold at this point. No rejections until later down the road.