siritchy

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2005
Status
MD schools only allow holding one acceptance after May 15th. Is the rule the same for DO schools?

llort

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2004
Not California
Status
you can hold as many spots as you want at DO school as long as you can afford it. why would you put down 1-2k deposits at more than 2 places?
get a nutsack and make a decision.

OP
S

siritchy

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2005
Status
Thanks for the info and the insults.
It is only two places - I left one nut in each place :D The rest have been informed that I do not plan to attend. The reason I cannot make the decision alone is that I have a wife that I want to give input to the final decision.

I will definitely have my decision by May 30th, but she cannot travel until after the 15th - between work and school and everything else it just is not possible.

Kazema

In a kingdom by the sea
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
siritchy said:
It is only two places - I left one nut in each place :D
:laugh:

DrFeelgoodDO

PV,PO,PR - in that order
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Oklahoma
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
siritchy said:
Thanks for the info and the insults.
It is only two places - I left one nut in each place :D The rest have been informed that I do not plan to attend. The reason I cannot make the decision alone is that I have a wife that I want to give input to the final decision.

I will definitely have my decision by May 30th, but she cannot travel until after the 15th - between work and school and everything else it just is not possible.
Thats really great!! So you're basically holding up an extra spot b/c you can't get your act together. So now some poor bastard will go an extra 2 months w/o knowing where he or she will be for next 4 years. I really hope you meant March 30th. If not, you are a f*ckstain. I can't stand it when people do this. People like you CLEARLY make it bad for others on the waiting list; one like myself who was accepted off of a waiting list. It totally f*cks over someone else for no reason. Again, grow some balls, get on the phone and talk to your wifey, make a decision, and make some phone calls tomorrow AM. Why are there so many a-holes in this world???

mollybo

Just here
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2004
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
Status
Actually, he is one of the few who *does* have a good reason for delaying his final decision. I can only assume you're not married - you don't make a decision about where to spend the next four years all by yourself if you are.

daysleeprx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
DrFeelgoodDO said:
Thats really great!! So you're basically holding up an extra spot b/c you can't get your act together. So now some poor bastard will go an extra 2 months w/o knowing where he or she will be for next 4 years. I really hope you meant March 30th. If not, you are a f*ckstain. I can't stand it when people do this. People like you CLEARLY make it bad for others on the waiting list; one like myself who was accepted off of a waiting list. It totally f*cks over someone else for no reason. Again, grow some balls, get on the phone and talk to your wifey, make a decision, and make some phone calls tomorrow AM. Why are there so many a-holes in this world???
Wow you're quite the douchebag. He earned those acceptances, so they're his to do with what he wishes. Why does he owe anything to those people on waitlists? He got acceptances, they didn't. Yeah, they might have to wait a little longer if he wants to take his time to decide, but it's his right to do so. And Molly is right, his reasoning for wanting to delay his decision is more than reasonable. You need to chill the f*ck out.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
daysleeprx said:
Wow you're quite the douchebag. He earned those acceptances, so they're his to do with what he wishes. Why does he owe anything to those people on waitlists? He got acceptances, they didn't. Yeah, they might have to wait a little longer if he wants to take his time to decide, but it's his right to do so. And Molly is right, his reasoning for wanting to delay his decision is more than reasonable. You need to chill the f*ck out.
and so do you.....

daysleeprx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
OSUdoc08 said:
and so do you.....
Yeah you're right...calling someone a f*ckstain for wanting to discuss a major life event with their spouse is totally acceptable. My bad. :rolleyes:

mollybo

Just here
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2004
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
Status
OSUdoc08 said:
Fortunately, communication devices exist that allow those that must be in seperate places to make such decisions.
You'd make a decision about where to spend four or more years without ever seeing the city? Really?

I did it once, and regretted it for years. I wouldn't dream of expecting anyone else to.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
mollybo said:
You'd make a decision about where to spend four or more years without ever seeing the city? Really?

I did it once, and regretted it for years. I wouldn't dream of expecting anyone else to.
What are the cities to choose from?

Does it really make that much of a difference?

If I picked the best city, I'd be going to med school at AZCOM right now.

mollybo

Just here
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2004
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
Status
Yes, the city makes a difference. Look at the difference between NYC or Philadelphia and Tulsa. I spent 10 of my formative years on the East Coast. I hate driving - really despise it - and am pretty liberal. Is it so hard to imagine that that I'd be MUCH happier in NYC or Philly?

It could be more than a simple matter of geographical preferance. Suppose his wife worked as, I dunno, a legal secretary specializing in petroleum legal matters. Given an option between NYC or Tulsa, she'd be much better off in Tulsa.

I've decided to stay in Tulsa - my husband has a good job here, and I'd really like to go to OSU-COM - but never in a million years would I expect him to follow me to another school without some serious, serious discussion and consideration, which probably means seeing the city. Making life-changing decisions when you have a spouse to consider is a whole different ballgame than being single.

OP
S

siritchy

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2005
Status
OSUdoc08 said:
What are the cities to choose from?

Does it really make that much of a difference?
Do you have a wife? Do you have a child?
Do you have to worry about where your child will be going to school?
Where your wife will work?

Are you saying that AZCOM is a bad school?
If I had the option of a really BAD location and the BEST school in the country and a GOOD location with a GOOD school, I would choose the latter.

Quality of life for my family means more to me as long as I can get a quality education.

I gave up the places I would not like to live/attend 100%. I will not leave my wife out of a major life change. I just got the acceptances this month. I have not been holding them for months. I don't mean to offend, but these are my circumstances.

Sincerely,
F#@$stain

heech

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2004
Status
Physically visiting really doesn't do anything that a little research cannot.
Just curious here, but how many times have you actually moved? In my 29 years of life, I've moved across coasts twice, across an ocean once, and in between 4-5 times. And you're either a helluva lot more laid back than I am (and I'm a pretty laid-back California boy)... or you're speaking about something you're not very informed about.

alohaknight1

UCFKnightro
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Ft. Lauderdale
www.studentdoctor.net
Status
Optometry Student
tkim6599 said:
the rudeness and arrogance of some the replies in this thread are amazing. the OP has some valid reasons behind his delay in decision making. if you can help, please do. if you can't, resist the temptation to take a jab and don't post.

I'm an alternate right now at a few schools and have heard that people holding multiple acceptances must drop all but one by May 15th. Just trying to help- maybe you should look into double checking that you can wait longer than this date. :) (good luck)

drmanyee999

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Status
I, for one, would like to applaud you for considering your wife. I'm married, so I know the situation very well. Med school is a tough road for married people to travel, so I would imagine that making those decisions as a team is far better than dragging her along for the ride.

Bravo!

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
Rochester, MN
Status
siritchy said:
MD schools only allow holding one acceptance after May 15th. Is the rule the same for DO schools?
Dear [email protected]*#stain:

Though there probably is some kind of "rule" (I don't know what it is, however) I'm sure you can contact the schools in question, and tell them your situation, and they would likely grant you an extension. The worst that can happen, is they tell you no and that you have to decide. But at least you'll know and can make progress from there. Good luck with your decision!

And to some of the nastier posters: Whoa!!

That is all. :)

Em&M

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2004
Status
DrFeelgoodDO said:
Yikes! Such harsh language :(

Is this a joke?

Last time I checked, getting accepted to medical school wasn't a team effort (unless you count the team cheering you on...) If someone worked really hard and was accepted, they have every right in the world to take their time in deciding where they will spend the next four years of their life. Part of life is waiting for things to work out. Regardless, one more person is going to get into medical school once the decision has been made. This is one of the most important decisions that you are going to make. Take your time, talk it over with your spouse, make sure that it makes you feel totally okay.

Please, do not, under any circumstances, let one "bully" scare you into making a life-changing decision quickly just so that you don't have to inconvenience someone. This is not a moral choice you are making here. You are not ruining somebody's life because they have to wait 2 extra weeks to find out they got into school.

If I was stuck on a waiting list, I wouldn't care if I got the call 2 weeks before school started, I would just be ecstatic to have a spot. I wouldn't really give a second thought as to the circumstances or people that led to the spot opening up and I believe that most in that position would feel the same.

Best of Luck in whichever school you choose! :luck:

wertyjoe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2003
Erie
Visit site
Status
Why do people bring up old posts? The original post is a month old and the question asked is probably not even relavent today. It would be different if it were their own post they bumped up because their question wasn't resolved.

Its spring, go out and enjoy the weather and please leave those old posts alone. Theres more to life than SDN. :D

Scarletbegonias

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2005
Oklahoma
Status
Anyway
I think the dates to withdraw acceptances differ depending on the school Some may be as early as April 15 and Some May 15. I understand that discussing med school with a spouse is quite important, as I have definately considered my fiancé in making my choices. And it is something that you don't have to married to understand. The holier than thou attitudes, i.e. "are you married, do you even know what it is like" is pretty ridiculous. Deciding what med school to attend, with your spouse's input is something you should have already begun discussing by now. Just because you have a spouse to consider doesn't make your decision any more important than the decision someone else has to make for themselves. We all have different criteria.
My advice for anyone who's applying for c/o 2010:
1.Don't apply to schools that don't seem plausible when it comes down to making your decision on which to attend. There are others that could have had your interview spot (just because someone's on a waitlist doesn't necessarily mean that they don't deserve acceptance as much as someone who has been accepted, as some of the application process is definately what is referred to as a "crap shoot" ).
2. Discuss the med school options with your spouse when you are deciding to which schools you will apply and continue discussing as things change along the application process. It should make the decision easier than waiting until the last minute to decide.

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
Rochester, MN
Status
Scarletbegonias said:
1.Don't apply to schools that don't seem plausible when it comes down to making your decision on which to attend. There are others that could have had your interview spot (just because someone's on a waitlist doesn't necessarily mean that they don't deserve acceptance as much as someone who has been accepted, as some of the application process is definately what is referred to as a "crap shoot" ).
2. Discuss the med school options with your spouse when you are deciding to which schools you will apply and continue discussing as things change along the application process. It should make the decision easier than waiting until the last minute to decide.
You can't do either of these until you have acceptances in hand. I only applied to schools that I planned on attending, but until I had an acceptance there was absolutely NO PLANNING that I could do. I can't register my son for school, my significant other can't look for work, etc. Not to mention, what if a school you'd prefer to go to hasn't informed you if you've been accepted yet? There ARE alot of LAST MINUTE factors that go into making this decision (unless you're one of the blessed few that gets accepted into their top choice school in October), and for someone who has to consider other people in their lives (eg significant others, children, etc) it makes that decision all the harder. I don't think it's for us to judge the OP as to "why" he/she is holding these 2 acceptances. They asked whether anyone knew if there was a deadline on holding those seats. I'm not sure how this thread got off on whether or not is was okay if they held those seats, or what others should do when they apply and may be in a situation to hold seats. It has nothing to do with the topic nor does it assist the OP in any way.

I'm officially off my soap box now. :)

Ginz20

Ginz20
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2000
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Khenon said:
You can't do either of these until you have acceptances in hand. I only applied to schools that I planned on attending, but until I had an acceptance there was absolutely NO PLANNING that I could do. I can't register my son for school, my significant other can't look for work, etc. Not to mention, what if a school you'd prefer to go to hasn't informed you if you've been accepted yet? There ARE alot of LAST MINUTE factors that go into making this decision (unless you're one of the blessed few that gets accepted into their top choice school in October), and for someone who has to consider other people in their lives (eg significant others, children, etc) it makes that decision all the harder. I don't think it's for us to judge the OP as to "why" he/she is holding these 2 acceptances. They asked whether anyone knew if there was a deadline on holding those seats. I'm not sure how this thread got off on whether or not is was okay if they held those seats, or what others should do when they apply and may be in a situation to hold seats. It has nothing to do with the topic nor does it assist the OP in any way.

I'm officially off my soap box now. :)

Everybody has decisions to make. The longer people hold their acceptances, the more difficult they make the lives of everyone else. For example Khenon has a child and a significant other to worry about. Are her decisions about where to attend school in the future any less important than yours? Also, have people not been discussing schools with their significant others since this process started? I have been going through acceptance/rejection scenarios with my family and significant other throughout this whole process. We have already decided on where I will attend, depending on what happens with various waitlists. I guess this makes me cynical, but I don’t buy the “I have to wait two more months to make a decision with my wife” line. If you have been accepted, congratulations, they are yours to do with as you please. However, please remember that while you sit on acceptances, others (who coincidently might also have spouses and children) have their lives on hold as well.

Lindyhopper

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2004
Status
Regardless of the merits, F#@kstain is the best insult I've heard in a while. :thumbup:

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
Rochester, MN
Status
Ginz20 said:
Everybody has decisions to make. The longer people hold their acceptances, the more difficult they make the lives of everyone else. For example Khenon has a child and a significant other to worry about. Are her decisions about where to attend school in the future any less important than yours? Also, have people not been discussing schools with their significant others since this process started? I have been going through acceptance/rejection scenarios with my family and significant other throughout this whole process. We have already decided on where I will attend, depending on what happens with various waitlists. I guess this makes me cynical, but I don’t buy the “I have to wait two more months to make a decision with my wife” line. If you have been accepted, congratulations, they are yours to do with as you please. However, please remember that while you sit on acceptances, others (who coincidently might also have spouses and children) have their lives on hold as well.
I think you might have misunderstood my post. I'm actually sympathizing with waiting to make decisions . . . ie I am sympathetic to the OP wanting an extension on his/her deadline. I responded to the above poster because they seemed to imply that the OP applied to a school (or schools) they didn't want to attend. I just don't think that's the whole story. I applied to schools I planned on attending, but obviously can't make any decisions until I've been accepted. And yes, you should talk to your SO the entire time, especially once you get those acceptances. However, this is a huge decision to make and not one that anyone should feel rushed into (even if it's getting to be May). The OP earned their acceptances and I don't feel they should have to give up a seat they aren't 100% sure about, just because a bunch of SDNers are on waitlists. And overall, I just felt like everyone got off topic (like I am now! :) ). The OP didn't ask for anyone's opinion on whether or not people should hold their seats. They asked if anyone knew about getting extensions on deadlines. Very few people on this thread have answered their question.

alohaknight1

UCFKnightro
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Ft. Lauderdale
www.studentdoctor.net
Status
Optometry Student
wertyjoe said:
Why do people bring up old posts? The original post is a month old and the question asked is probably not even relavent today. It would be different if it were their own post they bumped up because their question wasn't resolved.

Its spring, go out and enjoy the weather and please leave those old posts alone. Theres more to life than SDN. :D
Ouch. Looks like I'm the "people" that bring up old posts.
I'm new to SDN and hadn't even noticed the post dates. I just saw that they said they couldn't visit until May 15th- which I heard is the deadline- which is still a month away- therefore relavent. Just trying to help somebody out. Sorry if I wasted your time by causing you to read the new posts.