Holding seat.. How does it work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laboholic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that it costs a lot to hold a seat at osteopathic schools. I am interviewing at one school a month before my other interviews. So if i get into the first school, do I have to pay the deposit right away to hold my seat before I find out if i get into my other schools, or do I have a few months to decide? I have a feeling this is going to get expensive really fast.
-thanks

Members don't see this ad.

laboholic said:
I know that it costs a lot to hold a seat at osteopathic schools. I am interviewing at one school a month before my other interviews. So if i get into the first school, do I have to pay the deposit right away to hold my seat before I find out if i get into my other schools, or do I have a few months to decide? I have a feeling this is going to get expensive really fast.
-thanks

Good question. I am currently dealing with that exact issue. I recently interviewed and was accepted at WVSOM. However, I am a Texas resident and am also applying to all the TX medical schools. I have interviewed at TCOM, but will not find out if I am accepted until February. Because I loved WVSOM and would be more than happy to go there, I am willing to pay the $2K deposit in order to hold my seat if I do not get into TCOM or another TX school. So to answer your question, it really depends on when you interview and when their first deposit is due. I am sure that it varies from school to school. I was accepted at WVSOM in early October and my deposit is due mid December. Hope that helps.

Anyone know how many weeks post acceptance deposits are due for DMU, KCOM and CCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Canuck99 said:
Good question. I am currently dealing with that exact issue. I recently interviewed and was accepted at WVSOM. However, I am a Texas resident and am also applying to all the TX medical schools. I have interviewed at TCOM, but will not find out if I am accepted until February. Because I loved WVSOM and would be more than happy to go there, I am willing to pay the $2K deposit in order to hold my seat if I do not get into TCOM or another TX school. So to answer your question, it really depends on when you interview and when their first deposit is due. I am sure that it varies from school to school. I was accepted at WVSOM in early October and my deposit is due mid December. Hope that helps.
Are these deposits refundable? Ie. if you get accepted into one of the Texas schools and choose to go there will WVCOM refund your $2k?

PlasticMan said:
Are these deposits refundable? Ie. if you get accepted into one of the Texas schools and choose to go there will WVCOM refund your $2k?

No...but I wish the deposit was refundable

PlasticMan said:

Unfortunately, no, it is not refundable. But since in-state tuition is dirt cheap compared to out-of-state, it is well worth it to pay the deposit and ensure that I have somewhere to go.

the whole deposit thing should be illegal

or at least they should cap it at like 100 or something reasonable... 2 grand is nuts

rack said:
or at least they should cap it at like 100 or something reasonable... 2 grand is nuts

It is definitely not going to be easy to hand over 2K of my hard earned money, especially when it is really going to be 4K since both my wife and I were accepted. Again, it sucks, but in the end it will be worth it to have a spot reserved if we do not get into a TX school.