holy crap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coolio30

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After looking at that Stanford secondary post, I was just wondering if I was the only Asian with a low MCAT (27). Any other Asians out there with MCAT scores not in the 99th percentile?

Members don't see this ad.

No posts after 99 viewers. There definitely aren't many of us.

MCAT =29, but that is ok b/c I'll be starting med school next week. :clap:

I'm asian with a 33R. I wish I had studied more. I didn't really start studying until 2-3 weeks before the test. It seems to me that you can get at least a 35 if you start studying 6-12 months in advance. If I don't get in this year, I'm definitely nailing the MCATs the next time around. I'm applying to my state school and mainly top 30 schools. Those are the only med schools I want to go to anyway. Why spend 50k going to a low tier private med school when you can reapply and get into your state school and pay far less tuition. If I can't get in then its graduate school in bioengineering for a year or two. good luck to everyone applying this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by CU_buffalo
I'm asian with a 33R. I wish I had studied more. I didn't really start studying until 2-3 weeks before the test. It seems to me that you can get at least a 35 if you start studying 6-12 months in advance. If I don't get in this year, I'm definitely nailing the MCATs the next time around. I'm applying to my state school and mainly top 30 schools. Those are the only med schools I want to go to anyway. Why spend 50k going to a low tier private med school when you can reapply and get into your state school and pay far less tuition. If I can't get in then its graduate school in bioengineering for a year or two. good luck to everyone applying this year.

:rolleyes:

right now, at this very moment, i am making the same face that Street it making.

and why the hell does race matter in your need to compare? asian/white/black/aqua, we all took the same damn test

oh i'm eyeball-rollin' it too... that type of statement/attitude is what makes people think all premeds are crackheads w/a warped view on education/life. in fact, i get the eyeball-rollin' look when i tell people i'm applying to medical school. they assume i'm of the same attitude.

yeah - I really hate the look people give me when I tell them I'm applying to med school - its that "oh you're just another gunner look"
but the absolute worst is when I tell people that I'm a biochem major - they go, oh so you're pre-med - AND THEN GIVE ME THAT GUNNER LOOK!!!:mad: :mad:

Picke,

I think that there is a need to compare amongst Asian, white, black, etc. because it is a known fact that Asians and other over represented groups in medicine need to have higher overall stats to get in. Common, a guy who is a URM or other ethnic group with the same stats as lets say, me, you know who is going to get accepted if it is between us two. I am not a gunner, just trying to get a feel for my situation.

Originally posted by Coolio30
Common, a guy who is a URM or other ethnic group with the same stats as lets say, me, you know who is going to get accepted if it is between us two.

Why do you assume that the URM would be compared to you? Why isn't it that he is compared to the other URMs and you are compared to the other non-URMs? Maybe they take the best URMs, and the best non-URMs, but they don't compare members of the two groups to each other. Couldn't that be possible? In that case, your only problem is that you have to beat out the other non-URMs.

After looking at that Stanford secondary post, I was just wondering if I was the only Asian with a low MCAT (27). Any other Asians out there with MCAT scores not in the 99th percentile?

I highly doubt all or even most asians score in the 99th percentile.

Originally posted by danwsu

I highly doubt all or even most asians score in the 99th percentile.

I think he was asking were there asians with non-99th percentiles who got secondaries from Stanford.

But even then I'd have to agree with you.

Common, a guy who is a URM or other ethnic group with the same stats as lets say, me, you know who is going to get accepted if it is between us two.

schools look at more than just stats, kid