HomeSkool's Simple Rules for Retaking Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HomeSkool

Excelsior! ASA Member!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
People frequently ask whether they should retake certain courses, so here are simple rules for quick reference (posted on their own thread so I can find and link them more easily :D).
  • C or better (prereq and non-prereq)
    • DO NOT retake. Adcoms will expect an A the second time through, and failure to earn one could actually harm your application.
    • If you want to go through the information a second time for MCAT prep or just your own knowledge and satisfaction, audit the course.
  • C- or worse (prereq)
    • Retake. Many schools (consult MSAR for details) require at least a C to count prereqs as having been successfully completed.
    • Adcoms will expect an A on the retake, so pull out all the stops to make that happen.
  • C- or worse (non-prereq)
    • DO NOT retake. Again, adcoms will expect an A. Don't risk it.
  • Adcoms WILL NOT be impressed with an A on any retake. Their attitude will be, "Well, yeah, we'd expect nothing less than an A the second time they see the material." So there's nothing to be gained by retaking courses unless they're prereqs in which you earned C- or less.
  • If you want to boost your GPA, take courses that you haven't taken before. A's in those courses will increase your GPA, and lesser grades won't burn you as badly because adcoms won't expect A's as they would with retakes.
Figure out how to manage your time, maximize your studying efficiency, and keep yourself motivated. Remember that semesters are several months long and you need to pace yourself so you don't burn out at finals time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 27 users
Assuming this is applicable to traditional applicants who have yet to graduate.

How about for non-traditionals doing post-bacs?

Assuming this is applicable to traditional applicants who have yet to graduate.

How about for non-traditionals doing post-bacs?
I recommend that non-trads follow the same rules: retake prereqs with a C- or lower, don't retake anything with a C or better, audit non-retake prereq courses if you need to review the material.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A note for the other post-college applicants:

If you're out of college (like me) and didn't realize the C- not counting debacle was a thing (like me), some schools actually are moving away from the C- not counting debacle; some schools are doing away with pre-reqs entirely along the vein of the MCAT changing "to reflect competencies"I only have a survey amount of N=6, for my acceptances and WLs that I checked. But 3 schools accepted the C-, and the other 3 have done away with pre-reqs and only have "recommended courses".

DISCLAIMER: My C- was first semester freshman year, in a course series where I later showed adequate competence. Also, some schools may still have the C- rule and maybe I just got lucky with my 6. If you're still in undergrad and can fit a retake, why not? But if you're out of school, panicking, trying to figure out how to fit in a bio course and lab around your job... might be worth calling the schools you're interested in, esp if you're already in your app cycle (like me, when I found all this out). And thank you to Homeskool for the guidelines, because they would have been very useful to me in undergrad and spared me some panic.

I got a C+ in physics I and a few Bs and B+ for upper div bio classes (boomerang trend in gpa now with 3.66 sgpa and 3.7 cgpa), would a DIY post bacc taking physics and upper div bio classes that ive previously gotten Bs before be worth it (hopefully ~3.7 sgpa and 3.77 cgpa)? Or should i take SMP instead?

I got a C+ in physics I and a few Bs and B+ for upper div bio classes (boomerang trend in gpa now with 3.66 sgpa and 3.7 cgpa), would a DIY post bacc taking physics and upper div bio classes that ive previously gotten Bs before be worth it (hopefully ~3.7 sgpa and 3.77 cgpa)? Or should i take SMP instead?

You don't need anymore classes with 3.7 cgpa and 3.66 sgpa. Focus on the MCAT.

I would like to invite @gonnif into this thread because I want to consider the trend of leniency toward premed requirements in the context of LCME regulation. Is LCME itself becoming more lenient and allowing medical schools to relax their pre med requirements? How will this continue to change?

I have a question. I graduated with my BS in biology in 2004. I have a 3.90 cGPA (similar for sGPA but I haven't calculated it). The only pre-req I didn't get an A in was biochem, in which I earned a B. It has been recommended to me that I take some upper-level classes to "prove" my brain hasn't atrophied in 13.5 years, but given my GPA and great undergrad grades, I'm not sure which courses I should be taking. Can anyone advise?

Yes, most schools wang to see some recent (ie within 5 years) academic work. Do you have MCAT? What have you been doing for 13 years
Nobody references the username. LOL. I've been a stay at home mom.
I've been taking the A&P series (with lab) and a few other classes (human genetics, human development) at my local CC. My A&P instructor is an MD/PhD and teaches the class with a focus on pathology and tests that require you to know the material inside out and upside down. I love it. I digress...yeah, I've taken some CC classes but no upper-level ones and half of them have been online. A's in all of them though. I have a feeling the general SDN reaction to that is raised eyebrows and a sigh. So I'm looking at what I should be doing, exactly. What more is there to take, when I've already done so well in all of them?
In regards to MCAT...haven't taken the new one yet. I took it in 2003 and got a 28Q. I neglected to study. This time around I can appreciate its value more than I could then. I am studying now. I am not planning on taking it until early next year.

Reactions: 1 user
C or better (prereq and non-prereq)

Regarding this, I got a C in calculus based physics 1 at my home institution during this summer (and so far it's the only blemish on my record). I don't think I can get an A in calculus based physics 2, because it's with the same professor, and I know the same thing will happen this time around. However, I think I can get an A in algebra based physics 2. Should I do this? Or is this not seen as a good idea and does not make up for the C from physics 1?

Regarding this, I got a C in calculus based physics 1 at my home institution during this summer (and so far it's the only blemish on my record). I don't think I can get an A in calculus based physics 2, because it's with the same professor, and I know the same thing will happen this time around. However, I think I can get an A in algebra based physics 2. Should I do this? Or is this not seen as a good idea and does not make up for the C from physics 1?
I agree with @gonnif 100%. Physics 1 is over and done, and physics 2 won't "make up" for it regardless of which basis you choose. To be perfectly honest, I think choosing algebra-based physics 2 demonstrates maturity and rationality since you've identified a weakness (calculus-based physics) and figured out how to overcome it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think choosing algebra-based physics 2 demonstrates maturity and rationality since you've identified a weakness (calculus-based physics) and figured out how to overcome it.

thank you! do u think that if I also have the option to continue the calculus-based physics at my actual college (where I'd also presumably get a better grade) that I should choose to continue calc-based and overcome my weakness there?

Makes sense. Thank you.

Why do they do advise against taking them at a community college? From what I've gathered most DIY post-baccs are at least partially done at CCs.

Actually, I think no adcom will particularly notice or care
Agreed. Just sayin', since premeds stress about that sort of thing.

thank you! do u think that if I also have the option to continue the calculus-based physics at my actual college (where I'd also presumably get a better grade) that I should choose to continue calc-based and overcome my weakness there?
No. Like @gonnif said, adcoms are unlikely care which kind of physics you take. That means the calculus-based option exposes you to the risk of a lower grade without offering any real benefit. Take the algebra-based version since the only thing we'll notice and care about is your final grade.

• DO NOT retake. Adcoms will expect an A the second time through, and failure to earn one could actually harm your application.
    • If you want to go through the information a second time for MCAT prep or just your own knowledge and satisfaction, audit the course.

@HomeSkool What is the advantage, if any, of officially auditing a course versus re-learning the material in a self-study manner?

Wait, so avoid taking classes over the summer? I have GChem 1+2, OChem 1+2, Phys 1+2 and biochem left. It would be a bad idea to take summer classes so it doesn't take me forever to have my prereqs completed? That's going to really drag things out...

Wait, so avoid taking classes over the summer? I have GChem 1+2, OChem 1+2, Phys 1+2 and biochem left. It would be a bad idea to take summer classes so it doesn't take me forever to have my prereqs completed? That's going to really drag things out...

I would definitely avoid taking ochem over the summer if you can. I took ochem 1/2 over the summer, and it was horrible.

People frequently ask whether they should retake certain courses, so here are simple rules for quick reference (posted on their own thread so I can find and link them more easily :D).
  • C- or worse (prereq)
    • Retake. Many schools (consult MSAR for details) require at least a C to count prereqs as having been successfully completed.
    • Adcoms will expect an A on the retake, so pull out all the stops to make that happen.
  • Adcoms WILL NOT be impressed with an A on any retake. Their attitude will be, "Well, yeah, we'd expect nothing less than an A the second time they see the material." So there's nothing to be gained by retaking courses unless they're prereqs in which you earned C- or less.
  • If you want to boost your GPA, take courses that you haven't taken before. A's in those courses will increase your GPA, and lesser grades won't burn you as badly because adcoms won't expect A's as they would with retakes.
Figure out how to manage your time, maximize your studying efficiency, and keep yourself motivated. Remember that semesters are several months long and you need to pace yourself so you don't burn out at finals time.

Hi, I just recently graduated with a BS in Biology with a 3.09 cGPA. Didn’t think I would have a chance getting into med school. Currently working on redeeming myself and increasing my chances. I haven’t taken the MCAT yet. Since I have such a low gpa I know I need to take some post bacc classes or a SMP but I was wondering if I should try to score my best on the MCAT first or should I first take some upper level classes to boost the gpa and then focus on the MCAT.

Appreciate the help!!!

Hi, I just recently graduated with a BS in Biology with a 3.09 cGPA. Didn’t think I would have a chance getting into med school. Currently working on redeeming myself and increasing my chances. I haven’t taken the MCAT yet. Since I have such a low gpa I know I need to take some post bacc classes or a SMP but I was wondering if I should try to score my best on the MCAT first or should I first take some upper level classes to boost the gpa and then focus on the MCAT.

Appreciate the help!!!

You need GPA repair as @gonnif said, which you should do first because your MCAT expires after 3 years. If it takes you longer to get your GPA up, then you'll have to take the MCAT again and risk doing worse.

Reactions: 2 users
@HomeSkool What is the advantage, if any, of officially auditing a course versus re-learning the material in a self-study manner?
Access to the professor and resources, accountability for showing up to class. Not much else. Unless you've already taken courses for credit with that professor, maybe the extra time could make an even better LOE, but that assumes you'd already have a pretty good one. Don't get a letter from a professor you don't really get grades from.

Hello! I have a question about non pre reqs. I started at a university where I bombed my first semester and got 4 F's in non pre-req courses. I went to CC first and took some courses and the only pre req I got an F in was gen chem and a few other none pre reqs, but I retook them all and got A's. I am now back at the original 4 year university and have been doing relatively well in all my pre reqs (As and Bs). I calculated my gpa from my entire college/university career including the F's and my gpa as it stands is barely a 3.0. Should I attempt those non pre reqs again? I'm sure I can do well in them this time around. I did get academic renewal for them but I know they will still show up on my transcript. Or, do you recommend I just finish my 4 year degree and go straight into a SMP to strengthen my gpa? Thanks!

Hello! I have a question about non pre reqs. I started at a university where I bombed my first semester and got 4 F's in non pre-req courses. I went to CC first and took some courses and the only pre req I got an F in was gen chem and a few other none pre reqs, but I retook them all and got A's. I am now back at the original 4 year university and have been doing relatively well in all my pre reqs (As and Bs). I calculated my gpa from my entire college/university career including the F's and my gpa as it stands is barely a 3.0. Should I attempt those non pre reqs again? I'm sure I can do well in them this time around. I did get academic renewal for them but I know they will still show up on my transcript. Or, do you recommend I just finish my 4 year degree and go straight into a SMP to strengthen my gpa? Thanks!
I wouldn't retake those non-prereqs. AMCAS doesn't allow grade replacement, so those Fs will factor into your GPA regardless. Your time and money would be better spent doing a post-bacc, which will allow you to take upper-level courses you haven't had before to show you've got the academic chops to make it in med school.

@HomeSkool
Hey uhm, got a complicated one to ask. Got a C on the Calculus which didn't transfer to my current school, so I had to retake calc and got a D on it.
That semester was a mess altogether (relationship problems, life adjustments, finance & everything). Do you think it's something that can be explained by personal statements/secondaries?

• C- or worse (prereq)

Gen biology 1- I retook a C+ and got an A at my Ugrad school
Gen chem 2- I retook a B- at my Ugrad school and got an A at a CC (summer class)

Just curious if the fact that I retook a B- from my school at a CC will actually hurt my app? I did it for MCAT prep purposes (which obviously was dumb, but I was a dumb sophomore)

@HomeSkool
Hey uhm, got a complicated one to ask. Got a C on the Calculus which didn't transfer to my current school, so I had to retake calc and got a D on it.
That semester was a mess altogether (relationship problems, life adjustments, finance & everything). Do you think it's something that can be explained by personal statements/secondaries?
Explaining will just look like excuses.

The PS is NOT for explanations...it's for "Why Medicine?" and "Who Am I?"

Save explanations for specific secondary prompts or interviews

Gen biology 1- I retook a C+ and got an A at my Ugrad school
Gen chem 2- I retook a B- at my Ugrad school and got an A at a CC (summer class)

Just curious if the fact that I retook a B- from my school at a CC will actually hurt my app? I did it for MCAT prep purposes (which obviously was dumb, but I was a dumb sophomore)

I can't imagine it would hurt you since you got an A, but it won't help much either.

Explaining will just look like excuses.

The PS is NOT for explanations...it's for "Why Medicine?" and "Who Am I?"

Save explanations for specific secondary prompts or interviews
Gotcha. Not going to retake it or make an excuse for it.
Will do my best to prove myself in other courses.

I can't imagine it would hurt you since you got an A, but it won't help much either.
Ill take it
So you got a B- during a regular term at home school. But you could only get an A at a CC during the summer? Does this mean the only way you can get an A was taking twice in the weakest way possibly? Were you trying to hide the fact you wouldn’t have been able to get an A otherwise?
A = A+ at said CC. I got the highest possible grade in the class. And it was not me trying to "take the easy way out" even though it most definitely does look that way. during my junior/ senior years I had to take 21 credits (highest possible credit load) every semester to fullfill my Double Major/ Double Minor curriculum. I would gladly have taken it at my school if that was possible. I am also an untrad major (double major in Ex physiology and Kinesiology with double minor in Bio and Chem) so my Major courses could not be taken at the community college since it is an "odd" major. So my only option to retake it was to retake it at a different school, and the CC is about 10 minutes from my house. But yeah I am also aware it was a dumb retake, I should have gone with an upper division course.

You realize that all those reasons dont matter as the medical school will never know any of that.
I did not know that, which is the reason that I asked the question in the first place.

• C- or worse (prereq)

Apologies if a similar question has already been asked but I was wondering how your retake options apply to people with low UG gpas but from 10+ years ago (Chem major, cgpa 2.7).

I tried to retake Cs in physics at a cc 2 years ago, but got a B and C. However, I was an extreme amount of pressure as an associate director of phase 1 pediatric oncology clinical trials and had a truly awful professor (same prof) both times. I have extensive direct patient care experience as a medical assistant and a clinical researcher, and in the last 7 years have been running multinational clinical trials at a pharma leve (phases 1-3).

In March last year, I moved to Canada for my partner’s work and enrolled at a state university here (Concordia in Montreal) and have retaken:
  • calc 1 (A-),
  • 1st semester chem (A+),
  • first semester biology (A),
al while taking other classes such as French and Eng lit (I.e. a full course load). Gpa of these last two semesters = 3.89 (though the A+s count as 4.3 here). My plan was to continue with the second semester of chem and bio this fall semester followed by orgo in the spring. I was hoping that this combined with a decent MCAT (I got a 29 back in the day), that this would be good enough to apply to American medical schools. But based on your upper div recommendations, I’m second guessing this. Additional insight on me: I am very light skinned half-Mexican Californian, and grew up low income. I know mentioning my skin color is weird, but I have a social capital in my whiteness that darker toned people don’t and I recognize that when thinking about how AA applies to me and doesn’t. Most ppl don’t believe that I am Mexican American but it’s because I look like my Irish father. As a medical assistant I worked for Planned Parenthood for a few years, and did two years volunteer work as a post-abortion talk line counselor. I also have many years of volunteering with animal rescues.

What are your thoughts? Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.

Last edited: