MD & DO Honest Advice & Chances Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

legacydoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Let me apologize in advance for all of the similar threads some of you have to (have to?) read on this site but I'd love & appreciate honest feedback on my current situation as well as what I could do to improve it.

- cGPA: ~3.4
- sGPA: ~3.2
- MCAT: have yet to take it but i'm following SN2ED's plan currently and so I'll be taking it in about 3 months.
- ECs: <20 hrs shadowing; <100 hrs volunteering; hospital research w/o publication; leadership consultant job.
- Brief History: I'm currently in my 5th year and will be applying to medical schools during the summer of 2014 (June).

My Queries:
1) What is the bare minimum MCAT score that I could use to get accepted into US MD schools? US DO schools?
2) What could I possibly do to make my application look better before filling it out in June?
3) What are my chances of getting in (any school) with a 25 on the mcat? 30? I'd prefer opinions rather than statistical data if you would.
4) Are Caribbean, fafsa-eligible, medical schools really all that bad? What are my chances for those?

Thanks in advance for any questions you guys could answer and I hope to hear some feedback soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you prefer opinions over data with large sample sizes? The data will give you the best estimate at your chances of getting in with a given MCAT.

Honestly, I would guess your chances are lower than your GPA/MCAT would indicate as of right now as I think your EC's are lacking a bit (though I may be biased based on what I see in the forums). Others may have better advice than me but I would probably focus on getting in some more clinical volunteering and/or shadowing (but not at the cost of letting your MCAT studying suffer).

26+ should get you into DO. You will need a 35+ to even have a shot at low tier MD.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
With a sGPA that low, and a cGPA well below avg for MD schools, I'd say your chances are close to zero, even with a stellar MCAT score. In fact, AdCom are leery of discordant GPA vs MCAT results.

You're fine for any DO program, including mine. Aim for high 20s.

My Queries:
1) What is the bare minimum MCAT score that I could use to get accepted into US MD schools? US DO schools?

Your ECs are pretty anemic. You need more volunteer work, but clinical and non-clinical. Not all former need to be done in a hospital, either.

2) What could I possibly do to make my application look better before filling it out in June?

OK for a number of DO programs, especially the newest ones. You'd be rejected from mine, alas.

3) What are my chances of getting in (any school) with a 25 on the mcat?

Good for all DO programs.
30? I'd prefer opinions rather than statistical data if you would.

Odds of gaining residencies for FMGs are, at best, 50% and will only decline over time as new domestic schools are opened. Your chances of being admitted to Carib diploma mills are excellent as long as you're breathing and can cut an up-front tuition check.

4) Are Caribbean, fafsa-eligible, medical schools really all that bad? What are my chances for those?

https://www.aamc.org/download/321518/data/2012factstable25-4.pdf

Your cumulative chances with your GPA and no MCAT provided are just under 27%. A 33-35 on the MCAT will get you roughly a 55% chance of acceptance per the grid, if you're white. There are other tables for minorities that you can use. Basically, unless you have a stellar MCAT, you're looking at a 25-50% chance of getting in. If you get a 26-28 and apply broadly, you might stand a (completely made up and not at all real but there's no data out there so w/e I'm BSing this one) 70-80% chance at D.O. schools depending on your prereqs and LoRs.

So if you score a balanced 26, DO is possible, while for MD, you're looking at a 33 for a decent shot.

Also, as a future physician, you should really be asking for statistical data whenever possible. Opinions don't mean a hell of a lot, especially on SDN.

And avoid the Carrib if at all possible. With the residency crunch, only the best Carrib grads from the top 4 schools will stand a decent shot of matching in 2019 and onward. If you don't get a job, you're on the hook for 300-400k of loans that can't be forgiven unless you die. Unless the residency situation significantly changes in the near future, don't do it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys but let me address a few things:

1) The only reason I asked for opinions rather than statistical data is because I had already looked at said data prior to creating this forum; bascially, I wanted your opinions to supplement the data.

2) I've recalculated my science GPA for DO schools and it's come out to be a little over 3.5 as of now but if I continue with my current track record, it could go anywhere between 3.6-3.7 while my cGPA could go to around 3.5-3.6 --- do these number changes make any difference in DO applications? specifically to Michigan State University and Touro University ?

Thanks again!