Honest answer please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drlia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a foreign trained dentist, been here in the USA for more than 6 years ( US Citizen) working as an RN I have been contemplating of going back to my first love.. dentistry. I am in my mid 40s , family. Can someone here tell me is it too late ? - considering my age to pursue my dream . I can see here how competitive it is to get into residency, I wonder if age would be a big issue for me to be accepted. Also, can someone give me a rough estimate how much it would cost to do the residency. I hope someone here will answer, am desperate for input. Thank you.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I am a foreign trained dentist, been here in the USA for more than 6 years ( US Citizen) working as an RN I have been contemplating of going back to my first love.. dentistry. I am in my mid 40s , family. Can someone here tell me is it too late ? - considering my age to pursue my dream . I can see here how competitive it is to get into residency, I wonder if age would be a big issue for me to be accepted. Also, can someone give me a rough estimate how much it would cost to do the residency. I hope someone here will answer, am desperate for input. Thank you.:confused:
Are looking for residency program or you want to get the practicing license?

Hello. I want to get the practicing license.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your dream is to be a dentist.. I think you should go for it! You don't want to have regrets later! So what if you are in your 40s.. you are still capable of learning. It will cost you approx $200K USD and two years of full time school. My question is why did you switch to nursing? You must have had to do schooling for that too. Anyway good luck!

Another option is write the Canadian exams and then no school if you clear!

I agree with DentalUtopia, it is never too late as long as you can study and learn and I do not think that age will affect the acceptance in the school on the contrary they will respect and admire your will. That is my opinion.

Last edited:
there is a lady in my class who was an orthodontist from her country...came to the states worked as an assitant for a long time then a hygenist and now she is in school for her DMD she is 50....never to late if your determined

there is a lady in my class who was an orthodontist from her country...came to the states worked as an assitant for a long time then a hygenist and now she is in school for her DMD she is 50....never to late if your determined
I'm older than you and have been sending applications to different schools for a few years. I am not giving up, though! Not yet.