Honest critique please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d4v3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, long time lurker here. I was hoping a few of you might be able to offer me some advice with regards to my chances for admission, or lack thereof. I have been trying to decide lately what my next step to strengthen my application should be or if I should just drop the quest altogether.

My GPA is really subpar.

As DO schools would see it:
cGPA: ~2.97
sGPA: ~3.47

I started school as a Computer Science major, did really poorly in most general education classes and some math classes required for my major. My CS classes were all mostly A’s however. I nearly finished my degree, and took some time off and worked for about a year due to financial reasons. During this time off I decided “what the heck, why not try pre-med”. So I went back to school and started premed requirements. Here is a breakdown of classes from that point on:

Spring:
Physics 1 w/ Lab (5hrs)= A
Bio 1 w/ Lab (4hrs)= A
Gen Chem 2 w/ Lab (5hrs)= A
Medical Terminology (2hrs)= C

Summer:
Organic 1 Lecture (3hrs) = B
Organic 1 Lab (2hrs) = A
Organic 2 Lecture (3hrs) = B
Organic 2 Lab (2hrs) = C

Fall:
Biochemistry (3hrs) = A
Physics 2 w/ Lab (5hrs) = A
Human Physiology Lab (2hrs) = A
Human Physiology Lecture (3hrs) = C

Taking this semester: Microbiology w/ Lab, Genetics w/ Lab, Bio2 w/ Lab.

So there is a bit of an upward trend, but it seems the 4.0 semester eludes me everytime. My ECs are lacking severly (does tutoring computer science classes count as an EC? :p). I’m a URM, and first high school graduate in my family if that has any bearing. Also, was 5 years active duty Army if that counts for anything in the eyes of adcomms. I’ve been considering traditional MS degree. Also considering taking MCAT and trying to apply to some post-bacc like programs such as MS Biomedical Sciences at KCUMB or the MS in Biomedical Sciences at OSU-COM.

Any idea if I would even be competitive to get my foot into one of these programs? Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, long time lurker here. I was hoping a few of you might be able to offer me some advice with regards to my chances for admission, or lack thereof. I have been trying to decide lately what my next step to strengthen my application should be or if I should just drop the quest altogether.

My GPA is really subpar.

I started school as a Computer Science major, did really poorly in most general education classes and some math classes required for my major. My CS classes were all mostly A’s however. I nearly finished my degree, and took some time off and worked for about a year due to financial reasons. During this time off I decided “what the heck, why not try pre-med”. So I went back to school and started premed requirements. Here is a breakdown of classes from that point on:

Spring:
Physics 1 w/ Lab (5hrs)= A
Bio 1 w/ Lab (4hrs)= A
Gen Chem 2 w/ Lab (5hrs)= A
Medical Terminology (2hrs)= C

Summer:
Organic 1 Lecture (3hrs) = B
Organic 1 Lab (2hrs) = A
Organic 2 Lecture (3hrs) = B
Organic 2 Lab (2hrs) = C

Fall:
Biochemistry (3hrs) = A
Physics 2 w/ Lab (5hrs) = A
Human Physiology Lab (2hrs) = A
Human Physiology Lecture (3hrs) = C

Taking this semester: Microbiology w/ Lab, Genetics w/ Lab, Bio2 w/ Lab.

So there is a bit of an upward trend, but it seems the 4.0 semester eludes me everytime. My ECs are lacking severly (does tutoring computer science classes count as an EC? :p). I’m a URM, and first high school graduate in my family if that has any bearing. Also, was 5 years active duty Army if that counts for anything in the eyes of adcomms. I’ve been considering traditional MS degree. Also considering taking MCAT and trying to apply to some post-bacc like programs such as MS Biomedical Sciences at KCUMB or the MS in Biomedical Sciences at OSU-COM.

Any idea if I would even be competitive to get my foot into one of these programs? Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.
You got to get that cGPA to 3.0+. 27+ mcat with good ECs, LORs will give you decent a chance at DO. Your sGPA is above sGPA for matriculated DO students--that's a plus.

You can't afford to have any weaknesses when applying for med-school. And if there has to be weakness there can only be one.

You're going to want to bring that GPA up. You're also going to need to do well on the MCAT (27 or 28 minimum). You also need to get some EC's; and it's a little concerning that you openly admit to doing the ones you did just because you felt like you had to for med-school. That's exactly what ADCOM is looking to reject you over.

You seem to lack some motivation, have you honestly evaluated why you want to be a doctor? Most Pre-meds I know can't wait to get experience, they want to volunteer, shadow, etc.

I just know that a lot of people like to say they want to go to med-school, but really don't know why. They're the ones that end up miserable in medical school more often than not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to both of you for commenting. First I'd like to comment on SLC's comment about my ECs.

"and it's a little concerning that you openly admit to doing the ones you did just because you felt like you had to for med-school. That's exactly what ADCOM is looking to reject you over."

I didn't mean for it to sound like I tutored because I wanted something to put on my med school application, I hadn't yet considered going to medical when I was doing the tutoring. I did the tutoring because I really enjoyed helping people that were struggling, and loved being there when they had their "Aha!" moments. Once they understood something that had eluded them for weeks, their joy was infectious. I was sort of joking about that counting as an EC. Does it? If so, I may have more ECs than I thought. Anyways, sorry for being unclear about it.

As far as motivation is concerned, I would say you are most likely correct. I do have some motivation issues at the moment. Mostly because I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time and money or if I'm really working towards a successful application and eventual admission.

As far as shadowing/volunteering at a hospital is concerned, I would love to do this. I need to do this, as you both mentioned, and I'm trying to contact the few hospitals in the area to see what is available to me (I live in a pretty rural area).

I'm sort of at a crossroads trying to decide between taking more UG classes, graduating and then going for masters, or working and studying for mcat and then trying to apply to some of the MS Biomedical programs at Med Schools. Or if nobody thinks I have a chance in hell, then re-evaluating my future career options.

I do appreciate the feedback, thanks.

My ECs are lacking severly
1) (does tutoring computer science classes count as an EC?
2) was 5 years active duty Army if that counts for anything in the eyes of adcomms.
3) I’ve been considering traditional MS degree. Also considering taking MCAT and trying to apply to some post-bacc like programs such as MS Biomedical Sciences at KCUMB or the MS in Biomedical Sciences at OSU-COM.
1) Yes.
2) Exmilitary is a huge plus.
3) You might look into postbacs and SMPs specifically meant for GPA boosters, too. See SDN's Postbac programs forum for a list (Dr Midlife's sticky at the top). Note the list for URMs only.

1) Yes.
2) Exmilitary is a huge plus.
3) You might look into postbacs and SMPs specifically meant for GPA boosters, too. See SDN's Postbac programs forum for a list (Dr Midlife's sticky at the top). Note the list for URMs only.

Thanks for your input, it's appreciated.