1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

HONEST salary #'s

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by SLUsagar, May 3, 2004.

1. SLUsagar

SLUsagar rock chalk jayhawk
    10+ Year Member

Yes, I know,
    OBVIOUSLY one should not choose a field based (solely) on $$. There does exist the situation where one loves the field of PEDS but the monetary reward simply does not match up to the either the effort put it, or, what one can expect to adequately survive on.

Nevertheless, I am interested...

anyone have any ideas on HONEST salaries in PATH, i.e. either/both 1st year out of residency as well as 5 years out [as data charts often categorize].
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    THOSE PGY4's finishing up soon, could really use your input on the offers you have been receiving!!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. joedogma

joedogma Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wish people would relax about the big salary question. I would imagine that pathology is just like every other field, some people make a boat load of cash while others do "fine" making 100-150K a year. Besides, who knows where reimbursement will be 5 years from now? Anything can happen...in any field. Don't let a "perceived" low salary in peds keep you out if you are passionate about it! I have yet to meet a pediatrician who was having a hard time making ends meet. I know you say that you aren't choosing a specialty based soley on money but I can tell that it is a big part of your decision making process. Remember, this is a time when you decide what you will do the rest of your life (unless you do another residency which I doubt you would consider since you are so concerned about money.) Choose a field that think you will still be excited about 30 years from now. Who cares if you are driving a jaguar around but dread going to work everyday. What kind of life is that? Forget the money, go where your passion takes you. Anyway, if you look at medicine you will see that the doctors that love their job generally make more money (pediatricians included :) ) The doctors that don't love their work are easy to point out in the hospital. They are generally miserable people. I don't intend to be so negative but I look around and estimate that at least 50% of the students/residents got into medicine for the $$$ or for the prestige. It scares me because someday I am going to need medical care by real doctors, not some "hired guns" who show up to make a quick buck. You should rethink your situation... :idea:

4. cookypuss3

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Joe-dog, I'm down with going for passion and not cash, but I think it's still a fair topic of discussion. I read somewhere that an overall average salary is about $175K. Newbies first starting out supposedly rake in $125K. Who knows, I'm sure it depends wildly on region and specialty. For example, forensics - not so much - less bank for them. You know how it goes.

5. joedogma

joedogma Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't think that the topic should be "off limits" really but this topic gets beaten to death (especially in other forums) I think it was the notion that he believes he won't be able to "adequately survive" on a pediatrician's salary that kinda ticked me off...although I am not sure why... :confused:

6. Mr. Plow

Mr. Plow Yes, that's my name
    7+ Year Member

In this case I should keep my dream alive of becoming the first pathologist turned heavy metal rock star. :insert emoticon with mullet:

I don't think you're being negative at all. My estimate is more around 95-98% for the $$$, the prestige, or to feed the ego. :laugh:

7. Nilf

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  8. pathdawg

pathdawg Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I think that this is a fair question to someone considering pathology as a career. Generally, it depends on a number of factors.
    1) Geography. Salaries vary widely depending on what part of the country the job is in. Many rural areas in the southeast and midwest offer very generous salaries (partially because the cost of living is low, partially because it is harder to recruit people in these locales). Salaries in large cities tend to be lower. Remember, this is a generalization.
    2) The type of practice. Academics pay less than private practice (in general). Also, it depends on the type of private practice. Practices that offer partnership are usually more lucrative than those that do not. Also, those in corporate labs (i.e. Quest, Dianon) can do well.
    3) Lifestyle. This plays a crucial role in what type of practice and locale.

I have seen starting salaries for people just out of fellowship anywhere in the 90-140k range, again depending on the above factors.
    I hope this is a help.

9. caffeinegirl

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  10. Doctor B.

Doctor B. Slappin' That Glass
    7+ Year Member

That's my dream too! Let's start a band. :horns:

11. Mr. Plow

Mr. Plow Yes, that's my name
    7+ Year Member

I'd like to propose "Toxic Megacolon" as the name of our path-metal band. What do ya think?

12. Stinger86

Stinger86 Intern year? Ha!
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'd go to your concert. :horns:

13. pathdawg

pathdawg Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I kind of like "Warthin Starry" as a band name.

14. tsj

tsj Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

From what I have heard academic jobs go for 150-200K for average-joe pathologists.

Private practice is extremely variable and I would guess on the extreme you could be making 100-500K depending on the situation and how hard you are working.

15. pathdawg

pathdawg Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

[QUOTE From what I have heard academic jobs go for 150-200K for average-joe pathologists.QUOTE]

150-200K sounds a tad high for academia. 100-140K is a more likely range.

16. Doctor B.

Doctor B. Slappin' That Glass
    7+ Year Member

Warthin Starry, Toxic Megacolon, man this will be a tough choice. I also thought "Y-Shaped Incision" would be good. Path-metal could be a new genre of music (goodbye nu-metal!). I think we're on to something here...:)

17. smokeycat

smokeycat Original Puss-N-Boots
    5+ Year Member

From the research that I have done, the median for a pathologist's salary is about $120,000. Forensic pathologists have a considerably lower salary (in North Carolina, the hiring rate is $60,826 - $85,101 and the maximum is $105,625 - $148,122). It is important to consider that while a state/goverment employee may have a lower salary, they have greater job security (usually).

Here are some links...

http://ncosp.osp.state.nc.us/Secure/Pmis/JobClass/JC_f.html
    http://www.goer.state.ny.us/index.html
    http://www.thename.org/jobs/FP_FrankCntyOhio2003.htm
    http://www.dhmh.state.md.us/ocme/fellowship.htm
    http://www.med.unc.edu/residency/salaries.htm

18. GMO2003

GMO2003 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    what about private practice with subspec in dermpath or hemepath...which path subs are the most lucrative...and is it possible to make in the mid 6s after partnership?

19. yaah

yaah Boring
    Administrator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You can make several hundred K per year in private practice. One example I have heard: Starting salary out of residency in the mid to high 100's, then after 3-4 years you attain partnership and make >350k.

THere are lots of people out there who do very well. I hear, however, that they reserve all of these spots for those who attend top ten med schools. :p

I honestly don't know which subspecialties are the most lucrative. I doubt that will have an impact on my career of choice. I have heard that dermpath is one of the more lucrative areas.

If you do well enough in residency and are willing to move almost anywhere, you will probably have quite a few options for jobs.

20. joedogma

joedogma Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would imagine that subspecializing would surely increase your salary but to plan on making over 600 g's a year may be wishful thinking. I am sure it is possible but thats probably 2-3 times what a "successful" pathologist would make. If you are a partner in a huge lab or if you found your own, who knows, anything can happen...

21. GMO2003

GMO2003 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'd rather make 300k in path than make 1mil in internal medicine...why anybody goes into that abyss of agony and eternal frustration is beyond me :smuggrin: :cool:

22. paaricmc

paaricmc Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

i certainly do agree with u.back here in india im is such a craze.all the top rankers opt for im.god only knows why!