Honestly...how do you all afford this process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted621740

I am a full-time student about to apply to medical school in June. I work 20 hours a week (about as much as I can), but with living expenses, I feel like I won't be able to save enough for the entire medical school application process. My family cannot afford to help me financially, and they are literally trying to tell me to "apply to fewer or less-prestigious (as if that affects the cost) schools"--none of them have gone to college let alone medical or grad school, and they honestly do not understand how much effort it takes to get into medical school, or how much work I have invested to make myself competitive at the schools that I want to apply to. I also had to turn down an NIH postbac offer because my family can't afford to help me make the transition to Bethesda. Really just sucks...

I just hate how expensive this process is, and how it favors those from well-off families (not that y'all aren't working just as hard but you know what I mean). I'm sure a similar rant has been posted, but I am just now beginning to understand how frustrating it is. What do you folks do?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you qualify for financial assistance through AAMC for applying? They provide a cheaper/almost free to apply for schools for those demonstrating financial need.

Reactions: 2 users
I qualified for FAP and it was a life saver.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm banking on FAP from AAMC. I have money saved up but I don't wanna waste it on too many applications and then not be able to afford interview trips. If I get FAP then I'll apply to my full list if not I'll cut it down to my state schools (5 of them) and 10 others. Probably would have to cut out any schools that would be too far to get to without driving or a very cheap flight.

I wasn't able to get FAP due to parental income despite being nearly 30, so I had to resort to putting a lot on credit cards, which I will now get to pay back using my limited loan money in med school. Yay!

Being an older person with a full-time job and plenty of savings, honestly. I never could have afforded to apply as a traditional college student even if I did want to be a doctor at age 18-21.

I wish I had some advice for you, OP. I wish you the best of luck and I echo your sentiment that the financial stuff is just so stinking frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 users
I didn't qualify for FAP either, working full-time, etc. I opened up a zero interest credit card (22 months) with a decently large line of credit and just threw everything on there. Hopefully I'll get most of it paid off before med school but it'll be tight.

I focused so much on just getting to the point where I could even apply and never really thought much about how much it was going to cost. It really is unfortunate how much you have to fork out at the end.

Reactions: 7 users
I am a full-time student about to apply to medical school in June. I work 20 hours a week (about as much as I can), but with living expenses, I feel like I won't be able to save enough for the entire medical school application process. My family cannot afford to help me financially, and they are literally trying to tell me to "apply to fewer or less-prestigious (as if that affects the cost) schools"--none of them have gone to college let alone medical or grad school, and they honestly do not understand how much effort it takes to get into medical school, or how much work I have invested to make myself competitive at the schools that I want to apply to. I also had to turn down an NIH postbac offer because my family can't afford to help me make the transition to Bethesda. Really just sucks...

I just hate how expensive this process is, and how it favors those from well-off families (not that y'all aren't working just as hard but you know what I mean). I'm sure a similar rant has been posted, but I am just now beginning to understand how frustrating it is. What do you folks do?

Yep and some premeds don’t even work. Sorry brotha hope you can get something. I’m sure you can get FAP. Live at home and save as much money as possible. Heck take a gap year if you have to and work full time.

Reactions: 1 user
I used a credit card to fund my applications/interviews. Took me 9 months and tax returns to pay it off. I paid so much interest, but you gotta do what you gotta do. My total for apps this cycle was around $4,500. And I’m a Reapplicant :confused::confused::confused:

Reactions: 5 users
My parents didn’t go to school and I’m not from a well off family. I took out more loans, gave up my meal plan, and ate only manager special groceries and other on sale items lol. I took as many classes as I could at community college. I explored the endowed scholarship options at my school. I just got accepted and now I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to afford medical school itself.. loans on loans on loans.

Family. But if my family couldn’t afford the process, I’d still think of different methods, and I’d still make it work.

What do you folks do?

My parents refused to help me. Not that they couldn’t, they just refused anytime I asked for help. I ended up taking out extra loans to help pay for MCAT prep, MCAT itself, applications, and travel expenses. I’m also a TX resident so I only applied to TMDSAS which saved money when traveling to interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
My parents refused to help me. Not that they couldn’t, they just refused anytime I asked for help. I ended up taking out extra loans to help pay for MCAT prep, MCAT itself, applications, and travel expenses. I’m also a TX resident so I only applied to TMDSAS which saved money when traveling to interviews.

Must be from Dallas. (Kidding, sorta.)

You’re about to take out hundreds of thousands in loans, a few thousand more to make sure you get in is money well spent

FAP and loans--it's definitely worth spending the money to apply broadly. Who knows--you may get a scholarship.

The most cost-effective strategy is to make sure you only have to apply once -- seriously. So don't cut your school list too short, take a professional MCAT prep class if you conclude that you need it, make sure your ECs are up to snuff, and do your research when determining where to apply.

Check out the Wedgedawg Applicant Rating System and follow those guidelines when compiling your school list. Invest in the MSAR - best $40 you will ever spend. Apply for FAP. If you need to put some of the costs on a credit card, DO it.

Reactions: 8 users

Credit card.

Spend it to make it.

The most cost-effective strategy is to make sure you only have to apply once -- seriously. So don't cut your school list too short, take a professional MCAT prep class if you conclude that you need it, make sure your ECs are up to snuff, and do your research when determining where to apply.

Check out the Wedgedawg Applicant Rating System and follow those guidelines when compiling your school list. Invest in the MSAR - best $40 you will ever spend. Apply for FAP. If you need to put some of the costs on a credit card, DO it.

Great advice, but I would seriously suggest folks look at credit unions and the loans you can get through them. I took out a $2k personal loan once to fix my truck, and my interest rate was less than 1%.

I took out more loans than I would need to pay for my current final year of undergrad so I could apply - I’m glad my college gave me enough wiggle room in my financial aid package to do so.

2 people in my family of 4 are applying to med school at the same exact time but the AAMC FAP doesn’t care about/
Account for how many applicants there are in the family

Someone else posted a thread on here about getting an airlines credit card, putting applications on that, and then earning enough delta or American Airlines miles to fly an OOS interview.

Man.. it is real out here. I'm so lucky my parents have been very supportive of my education. This dream would have ended a long time ago without their support.

Credit cards. They were a necessary evil for me. I paid for med school apps and residency apps with credit cards. Definitely avoid if possible, but at least it provides an option for people who have no other way to afford it.

Those of you who had CC debt throughout med school due to application expenses, about how much do you put toward monthly payments? I'm so worried about not being able to stretch my loan money far enough since I'll have debt I'm paying off with it. :/

Is it possible to get a credit card with a limit up to 5k if you have no prior history of credit?

Is it possible to get a credit card with a limit up to 5k if you have no prior history of credit?
Probably not. I think my first cc had maybe a $1000 limit. It might've been much lower though, I can't remember. Maybe a Discover card...

Take some gap years and work full-time. Make minimum undergrad loan payments and hopefully, once you get into medical school you can defer them.

I put on my sad eyes and ask my mommy.

Yeah I definitely feel your struggle... My mom makes just enough to disqualify me from FAP even though I paid all of this on my own, so I had to cut down to 8 schools... and given that I had to apply before my MCAT score was back I ended up with a pretty crappy schools list (the schools were fine, I don't mean crappy *schools*... poor *choices* that gave me very low chances in the end).

I've been working at least 30 hours for the past few years (I'm a senior), and even a few months ago had 2 full time jobs where I was working 50+ hours - though one job was overnight nannying, so just staying at their house was included. Unfortunately the kid didn't sleep so I didn't get to either, and barely go to do homework lol.

It's definitely super tough, especially to fit in volunteering, leadership, research, etc etc as well and maintain grades. Looking back at these past 3 years, I would've chosen to get a little bit more sleep and a little bit lower grades. I got a 3.9 GPA... at the expense of going months of getting 3-4 hours of sleep nightly. I don't think getting a 3.7 or something similar would've changed my chances that much, and maybe I would've been able to fit in more volunteering hours. Not sleeping for so long bit me in the butt when I ended up getting really sick about every other month (kidney infection, pneumonia, etc.). So.... try to take care of yourself, but realize this is only temporary and if you can get through this part it will get better.

ETA: While I had 3 interviews and *may* end up with an acceptance this cycle... I seriously regret not just planning to take a gap year. That way you can save up money for the app process and don't have to bust your butt getting everything together while you're still in school (speaking to volunteering/other ECs)

Reactions: 4 users
It's definitely super tough, especially to fit in volunteering, leadership, research, etc etc as well and maintain grades. Looking back at these past 3 years, I would've chosen to get a little bit more sleep and a little bit lower grades. I got a 3.9 GPA... at the expense of going months of getting 3-4 hours of sleep nightly. I don't think getting a 3.7 or something similar would've changed my chances that much, and maybe I would've been able to fit in more volunteering hours. Not sleeping for so long bit me in the butt when I ended up getting really sick about every other month (kidney infection, pneumonia, etc.). So.... try to take care of yourself, but realize this is only temporary and if you can get through this part it will get better.
Ugh, so relate to this. My mantra my entire post-bacc was basically, "I can catch up on sleep later, but I can't fix a bad grade on my transcript later." I was so tired so much of the time that pretty much all of my memories of organic chemistry and physics labs feel like dreams. I still don't feel fully recovered from the damage I did not getting enough sleep. Part of it is that now my body seems trained to not let me sleep when I need to. Don't neglect your sleep. You might think you're the exception or that you're just so young and full of vitality that it won't ever catch up to you, but it will.

(@naway - tried to quote you.. somehow failed lol whoops)

Yes exactly!! I became hyper-focused on getting A's, I think I saw that as the area of my med school application over which I had the most control.. which is SO not true. My problem with this application cycle (so I think anyway) is that I'm a tad low on volunteering which easily could've been fixed if I didn't freak out about grades so much!

Agreed though that long-term sleep deprivation really does a number on your body. I've heard of many studies showing chronic changes like increased cortisol levels so who even knows for how long our bodies will keep hating us for that lol

(@naway - tried to quote you.. somehow failed lol whoops)

Yes exactly!! I became hyper-focused on getting A's, I think I saw that as the area of my med school application over which I had the most control.. which is SO not true. My problem with this application cycle (so I think anyway) is that I'm a tad low on volunteering which easily could've been fixed if I didn't freak out about grades so much!

Agreed though that long-term sleep deprivation really does a number on your body. I've heard of many studies showing chronic changes like increased cortisol levels so who even knows for how long our bodies will keep hating us for that lol
You and I sound similar in a lot of ways. I too should have focused more on ECs, but it was so hard to get out of the "A's or bust!!!" mindset I've had my whole life. There is some basis for feeling like you have to prioritize grades above all else since they're the only thing you can't really go back and work on (I mean, you can retake classes, but you know what i mean), but I just way overdid it with my neuroticism about my grades.

Man, I really hope there's still a chance we can undo most of this damage haha. I'm thinking I'm going to bite the bullet and start taking Ambien even though I'm terrified of it because this chronic insomnia is just not going to cut it in med school haha.

Honestly, I married well.
If not I’d have to have hoped for FAP or taken out some personal loans

There is a thread right now about becoming a sugarbaby xD

have you tried being richer
52c.jpg

Credit cards.. I was a non-trad and had a good limit on two credit cards. It’s unfortunate, but it was the only way. Sucks having to pay minimum payments during school and trying to make it by on loan money but you’ll do what you gotta do to make it work.

I wish FAP had a tiered system, like "15 schools are free if you made under $X and 10 schools are free if you made under $Y." My mom made just enough above FAP and I still had to pay the application fees all by myself.

Spent all the money I made during my senior year and some during my gap year. I applied only to schools that I had the guts to drive to lol.

I worked full time for 2.5 years to save enough money to pay for my post-bac, MCAT preps, and MCAT. Now I am back working full time to save money for my applications. I also work strategically to secure some funding for my future years in med school, hopefully I do not need to take out too much loan. It is all about planning. I really hate seeing my bank accounts dropping below certain amounts. The sense of financial insecurity really drives me crazy. =(

For everyone here saying work, what kind of jobs do you work and what kind of money are you guys swinging?

Last edited:
For everyone hear saying work, what kind of jobs do you work and what kind of money are you guys swinging?
I am a nontrad. I was, and am, an underpaid statistician. =)
My job may sound lucrative, but in fact I only make a humble amount of money due to some situations (work environment) + I have to partially support my family of origin. That is why it took me 2.5 years to get to an amount that I felt it was sufficient for what I had to do for pre-med.

I have a $10000 limit across 5 credit cards :) Should be good for 2 cycles.

For everyone hear saying work, what kind of jobs do you work and what kind of money are you guys swinging?

Working clinical research in a high COL city. It works out because I live in a much more affordable place but I do commute 1.25 hours each way. Make about 57k/year.

I have a $10000 limit across 5 credit cards :) Should be good for 2 cycles.

Find a new a guy, break how with him, write a song and you should be good well after residency.

Qualifying for FAP. Decided to commute to a school with good financial aid so my parents take care of my living expenses. I barely buy anything for myself so I got a good amount of money saved up in my bank that I never touch. Also kind of lucky to have parents who are willing to support me through this whole process.

Throwing in a plug here for one of our SDN tools, the Medical School Application Cost Calculator. It can help you get a sense of how much it will cost to apply to medical school:

SDN – Medical School Application Cost Calculator - SDN Cost Calculator

It doesn't make the process any cheaper, but it can help you identify where you might be able to save some money.