Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Honors College Concerns?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dermforlife2016, Aug 16, 2015.

1. dermforlife2016

Pre-Medical
    I will be entering college next year and I am considering joining the honors college. How hard are honors classes if you have maintained a 4.0 uw in a rigorous high school program? It seems everyone in those classes will have stats similar to mine, and I am afraid a's will be very hard to come by. Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. efle

efle not an elf
    Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Honors colleges tend to have kinder grading to counter the fact that it is the best of their students competing for A's. Being surrounded by people that will really push you and keep up with you is awesome, it's the right move even if it does mean a little more study time.

3. Shirafune

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am personally a fan of taking regular classes and seeking additional information on your own time. If you are willing to forgo an A for a more intensive and stimulating course, then chances are you have the motivation to gain that knowledge on your own accord anyways. If you are going to become a biology major, why not join a lab early? You will be intellectually pushed and won't have to worry about a grade, per se. I am part of an honors college, but found that the overwhelming majority of intellectual growth in college has been because of research and faculty interaction.

In the end, I suppose it doesn't really matter that much, though you should know that being in an honors college will not "save" poor grades in honors courses.

4. genericpremedstudent

Pre-Medical
    Med schools don't care if you do honors

5. dermforlife2016

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for your input! This particular honors program also provides multiple medically related "service learning" opportunities that are only available to honors college students. I think these may give me an advantage in the application process compared to non-honor students. However, I know that such an opportunity isn't worth jeopardizing my GPA. I have also heard that the honors college has a significantly higher med school acceptance rate compared to the university at large. Although correlation may not prove causation as the program requires participants to maintain a minimum GPA to graduate and requires a certain ACT score and GPA to enter, a 90% average acceptance rate is still impressive.

6. Shirafune

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Good students go into honors college -> succeed -> get into medical school. The high acceptance rate is likely due to self-selection more than anything.

There are many good opportunities outside of the honors college as well, I assume.

7. genericpremedstudent

Pre-Medical
    just curious, if you haven't even started undergrad... why "dermforlife?"

md-2020 likes this.
  8. dermforlife2016

Pre-Medical
    I shadowed a dermatologist recently and I loved the experience, the shorter procedures compared to a surgical specialty, the ability to heal teenagers and adults of diseases that can lead to major psychological and social issues-as skin is one of the most visible parts of the human body-and the ability to avoid several of the problems that plague medical practices driven primarily by Medicare/Medicaid populations. I know it is really much too early to decide on a medical specialty, but I have shadowed many different specialties at this point, and Dermatology is by far my favorite.

9. md-2020

md-2020 The Immaculate Catch
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well everybody loves derm right now.

Until you look at their match statistics, then family med seems pretty swell too.

10. genericpremedstudent

Pre-Medical
    You've done extensive shadowing and you're not even in undergrad yet? I'm gonna call BS on this one

Dr. Death likes this.
  11. Strudel19

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    At my school it seems like a lot of work for not a lot of yield. Most people end up dropping out of it.

12. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Give yourself a little time to adjust to college to see how you find the non honors science classes before loading up on science classes.

And as others have said no ADCOM will give jack squat about whether a class is honors or not. All that matters are A's. Its up to you to make a decision on whether you want to give yourself a harder path but realize a) that the honors classes path will likely be harder than non honors classes b) many people love the idea of taking honors classes as freshmen but then realize how difficult they are and how challenging maintaining top grades even in non honors classes can be. Take everything into consideration.

13. catie_jane

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This sounds like an identical description of my undergraduate institution (non-honors program)

14. doc_mcd94

MDApps:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    Most of my honors classes in chemistry and math were curved to a B/B+/A- average while regular classes were curved to like a C/C+/B- average. It also seemed easier for me to get an A in the non curved honors classes like psychology, english, sociology, etc. just due to knowing the professor and having a much better idea of what to do in the class and the professor understanding that everyone in the class is at least somewhat gifted. Now the classes themselves were much more intensive than non-honors classes and required much more work (and much less homework which actually can make it more difficult) so it depends on what kind of student you are. I definitely feel like I will leave my honors program with a much deeper appreciation of several subjects than if I took those classes in a non-honors section.

So you are going to be a senior in hs and already know what undergrad you are going to attend for sure?