Honors program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much would being in your university's honors program help in terms of medical school admissions? I have the opportunity to join the program, but I don't really know if it is worth it. Most of the classes are humanities, which means alot of extra reading and writing on top of the full load of science courses I will have next year. Any thoughts??

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, We have an honors program here too, and all they have are philosophy and english classes. What a joke. I dont think its worth it. Just do a thesis on your own or research instead. The best thing about honors programs is usually hooking you up with professors.

I was in the honors program at my school and I loved it :D . Yes a lot of the classes were humanities but I felt it was a nice distraction from my typical pre med courses. I also liked the smaller classes and in my opinion better teachers. I was also in classes where the people were interesting, had a lot to say, and wanted to learn, it made class very interesting.

Now I can't say whether or not it helps in the admissions process, it certainly can not hurt to demonstrate that you took the initiative to take "honors classes" instead of regular classes, it may even make you look more well rounded. I was even asked about my experiences as an honor student in a couple of my interviews and I had a lot to say since I had learned a lot of really intetresting stuff in those particular classes. I liked having something to talk about aside from science.

I hope this helps, and good luck in the admissions process :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My experience with the honors program at my school was that the classes were not any harder than the regular courses. They were just taught by the better professors and had a maximum of 15 students. It certainly won't hurt in the admissions process. Maybe ask a few current students in the program for their perceptions and and opinions of the program and classes. Best of luck.

I'm in my school's HP, and I don't think of it as helping my application, but the early registration (before necessary classes fill up with the stampede) is a lifesaver.

I really enjoyed some of my honors college classes, but not all of them. At my school, the University of Oklahoma, there is a class, that was in the top five of the best classes that I took as an undergraduate, called Literature and Medicine. It was awesome and also a nice way to get to read literature instead of the science text books I was used to reading for the past three years. As others mentioned, honors classes usually are more reading and writing-based, which can be a nice contrast to science. The class was taught by an English teacher and a physician who teaches at OU Med school. I really learned a lot and came to develop my ideas about the kind of service as a physician I would want to offer, about compassion, ethics, etc. Taking this class made being part of the honors program worth it. Literature and Medicine classes are starting to become part of the medical school curriculum across the country, so I feel really fortunate to have had the opportunity. BUT I couldn't say that being an honors student has really helped bolster my application, as I have been fairly unsuccessful in the allopathic field, for several reasons I won't get into. It probably depends upon the school how favorably they look at being an honors student. I will have to say I am proud of myself for graduating with honors (magna cum laude this May; Finally!) because it is something few people do. Just my thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of being an honors student.

I go to a large public university so I thought the smallness of our honors program was great. They offered serveral honors colloquia to my science classes in which I got to learn material I'd never cover in a class. I definitely liked the small 10 person-classes. Plus, it put me in a more challenging environment where all the students were more driven than the typical non-honors class student. I mean, of course it's a pain in the ass when you have to take required classes that you have no interest in but I thought overall it was a good experience.